Westburg Fractured Right Hand

RVAOsFan

My guess:  Elias sees if Holliday can replace Westburg's production while Urias holds down bulk 3B duties.  And Soto or Vavra is brought up as the extra IF.  See how that plays out for a week or so.  If good, wait until the magic rookie elig time frame.  If not, welcome to the team, Coby! 

I want Mayo so badly but Gunnar is already killing the left side of our infield. If he truly can’t play 3B well, he absolutely cannot be our everyday guy there. To me, I’m way less concerned about having Mayo and Jackson both adjusting to MLB pitching at the same time. I see Vavra has barely played 3B this year and Livan Soto hasn’t at all this year so I’m not sure those are the guys either

8 minutes ago, crawjo said:

I know. But the Kjerstad hasn't been the same since his HBP, and now Westburg is gone for maybe two months. Our position players are more valuable to us than the position players of most other teams. I'd still send a message. I mean, if Bob Gibson were in our rotation, I feel like he would know exactly what to do in this situation. 

I don’t know why Gibson had that reputation.   He averaged one HBP every 38 innings.  The major league average today is one every 21 innings.   

Just now, CTBear said:

I want Mayo so badly but Gunnar is already killing the left side of our infield. If he truly can’t play 3B well, he absolutely cannot be our everyday guy there. To me, I’m way less concerned about having Mayo and Jackson both adjusting to MLB pitching at the same time. I see Vavra has barely played 3B this year and Livan Soto hasn’t at all this year so I’m not sure those are the guys either

I think you will see Holliday at 2nd and Urias on 3rd.   I do believe that Urias is going to hit with regular playing time. 

I could see them calling up someone other than Mayo.

49 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

Gunnar back to third.  Holliday back to shortstop.  Vavra to second.  Who says no?

That’s what they should do. Gunnar is a splendid 3B, and Holliday can’t be worse at SS than Gunnar has been last few weeks.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know why Gibson had that reputation.   He averaged one HBP every 38 innings.  The major league average today is one every 21 innings.   

It's not about how many guys you hit. It's about when and how you hit them. 

3 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

That’s what they should do. Gunnar is a splendid 3B, and Holliday can’t be worse at SS than Gunnar has been last few weeks.

I get the logic, but I'm not shifting 3/4ths of my infield defense with two months left in the season. I'm also not throwing the pressure of playing short on Holliday when he's been working a lot at second this year for this very opportunity. 

13 minutes ago, crawjo said:

I'm not even sure that's a "screw it" move. It seems to me like the obvious move. I can't think of a reason why you don't bring up Mayo now. 

Two reasons why they won’t: (1) they’re not comfortable with Mayo at third; and (2) they want someone who can also play second and short (the former at a minimum).  

They don’t want to be in a position where Holiday and Gunnar HAVE to play every single game in the field; they would also prefer not to be in a position where they need to play Ramon at second or Jackson at short. 

7 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Two reasons why they won’t: (1) they’re not comfortable with Mayo at third; and (2) they want someone who can also play second and short (the former at a minimum).  

They don’t want to be in a position where Holiday and Gunnar HAVE to play every single game in the field; they would also prefer not to be in a position where they need to play Ramon at second or Jackson at short. 

And a tertiary reason, preserve ROY status for Mayo next year. 

They are 2 weeks away.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

If Mayo was up and with Urias' flexibility on the infield, we'd have some options to not play both Henderson and Holliday every day.  As to whether the Orioles simply don't like Mayo at 3rd, it's possible, but will have to see.

Edited by lfallo1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In Posnanski’s book “The 100,” the chapter on Gibson includes two stories about him hitting guys during old timer’s games. 
One was against Pete LaCock hit a grand slam against Gibson during the last inning of his career.

Years later, during an old timers game, Gibson plunked him and later said,”I’ve been waiting years to do that.”

Another was a brush-back against Reggie Jackson, who had also homered against Gibson.