Grayson Rodriguez 2024

Spy Fox

4 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Grayson’s injury just further reinforces they need to add two SPs this offseason, not just one to keep/replace Burnes. Even with Grayson, Eflin, Kremer and Rogers, you need at least 6 SPs to make 5 healthy ones at any given time. 

And even more importantly, you need at least 4 playoff-caliber SP to give you the best shot at having 3 standing when you get to playoff time. 

Did not work this year, started with potentially 4 ( Burnes, Bradish, Grod and Means } Now down to 1

1 hour ago, theobird said:

What we are really feeling right now is an offense that just isn’t getting it done! Thats kind of hard to believe, but we have several guys who just are not hitting well all at the same time. 

in the 18 games since the all-star break we have 7+ runs in 8 of the 18 games....and have average 5.66 runs per game over that time.

Is there something amiss with our strength and training approach?

Perhaps the pitching feedback is too detailed and the tweaks for optimized spin and velocity exceed human physiology.

34 minutes ago, catjuggler said:

in the 18 games since the all-star break we have 7+ runs in 8 of the 18 games....and have average 5.66 runs per game over that time.

People are antsy because it feels like it can be very boom or bust, IMO.  And recency bias....getting schooled last night by Bassitt makes people forget the last two games against Cleveland.

In regard to G-Rod, I hope he's back for the playoffs.  That's probably wishful thinking.

At least it's not the arm.

If it’s grade 2, that’s what makes me wonder if he goes to the pen for the playoffs?

Will he be able to come back and get enough work in to put him back as a starter? 

OTOH, would it be problematic to have him prepare completely differently?  

So we started the season with one pitcher with a known injury (Bradish), one pitcher behind schedule from TJ (Means), one pitcher who had never cracked 120 innings (Grayson), and bullpen options (Wells , Saurez, etc).

We signed Burnes, great move

We decided our innings leader from 2023 (Gibson) didn't have a spot

For 12M we would have had the security of a guy who has exceeded 160 innings for 6 consecutive seasons.

Would be second in innings in O's 2024 roster, not bad 4.04 ERA / 1.3 WHIP to boot

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

So we started the season with one pitcher with a known injury (Bradish), one pitcher behind schedule from TJ (Means), one pitcher who had never cracked 120 innings (Grayson), and bullpen options (Wells , Saurez, etc).

For 12M we would have had the security of a guy who has exceeded 160 innings for 6 consecutive seasons.

Would be second in innings in O's 2024 roster, not bad 4.04 ERA / 1.3 WHIP to boot

Gibson didn’t want to come back..or better put, wanted to be close to home in St Louis. 

And Grayson threw over 160 innings in 2023.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If it’s grade 2, that’s what makes me wonder if he goes to the pen for the playoffs?

Will he be able to come back and get enough work in to put him back as a starter? 

OTOH, would it be problematic to have him prepare completely differently?  

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

I mean, it's probably not a grade 3, obviously.  But if I'm Elias I'm looking at ways to get through the season without G-Rod and the playoffs, too.  If he can come back at any time to the rotation or even the bullpen, that's a bonus.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

I mean, it's probably not a grade 3, obviously.  But if I'm Elias I'm looking at ways to get through the season without G-Rod and the playoffs, too.  If he can come back at any time to the rotation or even the bullpen, that's a bonus.

Best case is that he’s back to start around Sept 1 (figure he gets at least one rehab start).

13 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

There’s no way this is on Elias. The dude had at least a dozen pitchers that were at least serviceable starting options. It’s not his fault that he’s not only lost this many, but that all the ones he’s lost were the top options. There was no reason to expect Means to be out for the season. Or Wells. There’s depth, and then there’s just attrition that you can’t overcome.  Where would he even have stashed guys in the meantime if he had kept more options?  There are only so many spots to go around. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

That's kind of the way it works. You only have five spots in the rotation plus a couple in the bullpen. Factoring roster spots, options, and cost, you can't go 8-10 deep in April with veteran ace level pitchers assuming that > half of them are going to break. Preseason, we had three TOR level guys in Burnes, Grayson, and Bradish, then Means, Wells, and Kremer for MOR, plus Irvin, Suarez, McDermott, and Povich as back end options. That's 10 guys for 5 spots. That feels like a reasonable plan and I think most of us were on board with it in April. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That's kind of the way it works. You only have five spots in the rotation plus a couple in the bullpen. Factoring roster spots, options, and cost, you can't go 8-10 deep in April with veteran ace level pitchers assuming that > half of them are going to break. Preseason, we had three TOR level guys in Burnes, Grayson, and Bradish, then Means, Wells, and Kremer for MOR, plus Irvin, Suarez, McDermott, and Povich as back end options. That's 10 guys for 5 spots. That feels like a reasonable plan and I think most of us were on board with it in April. 

Agreed, once Burnes was acquired, the team looked to have pretty good starting pitching depth. I still wish they would have signed Bassitt a few years back like I wanted them too. But I think that was an Angelos thing more than an Elias thing. 

• Upvote 1