Soto up, Mayo down

deward

I think this probably means he is down for at least the next few weeks, if not the remainder of the year. I don't know if this preserves his 2025 Rookie Status or not but I'd have preferred to allow him to work through things at the top level...unless this is with a move to the OF or exclusive work at 1B. 

This is the New Orioles Way with the kids.

Gave him a taste, some even say it was a dream come true.

Now he can take this experience and go work on what worked and what did not.

My unprofessional assessment saw a very average athlete who has fast hands at the plate.  

• Upvote 1

Some will hate this move, but it is good for Coby to go back for a bit, I think. I am a little surprised it is Soto, and not Davis. I guess this means they do not want Urias at 2B and Holliday at SS to give Gunnar a day off here and there. 

I think we all saw this coming. The move keeps Coby in line to make a run at ROY 2025 while the time with the O's gives him a sense of what he needs to work on to play at the highest level. Glad the kid got a chance to get his first hit. 

I'd rather have Coby but I'm glad it's not JD Davis. We already have Eloy to be a RH bat guy. Soto can actually spell Gunnar without sacrificing defense. I believe we can see Coby back on Sept 1 when rosters expand and he would still be ROY eligible. 

I don’t hate the move. I think Ramon was going to start 2/3 of the games anyways. Mountcastle save him of another error last night. Soto will be fine with riding the bench with a few spot starts. Also Gunnar is still do to sit sometime in next couple weeks.

I'm of both minds:

1. Would have been perfectly fine just running him out there for however long. 

2. I'm also perfectly fine with Urias starting at 3B until Westburg is back, and I kinda want to get a look at Soto. 

You can be fine with either.

It’s weird they called him up when they did rather than waiting until this weekend when they could have called him up and kept him in the roster the rest of the year and he would still be ROY eligible next year. But it seemed like a forgone conclusion he would go back down for at least a couple of weeks to preserve that ROY eligibility once he struggled at all.

I think Mayo is more equipped to have worked through those struggles at the MLB level than Holliday or Cowser were, for instance. He didn’t seem as overmatched as those two were. But given his defense, I can see why they didn’t want to carry him through that offensive adjustment in a tight race for the #1 seed. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm of both minds:

1. Would have been perfectly fine just running him out there for however long. 

2. I'm also perfectly fine with Urias starting at 3B until Westburg is back, and I kinda want to get a look at Soto. 

You can be fine with either.

What about Soto intrigues you?   He's got 7 years of .683 OPS in the minors.

I think Mayo's biggest detriment is he doesn't play 3B well and his other position is completely blocked by Mounty and O'Hearn, both of which have hit much better than Mayo. Yeah, you could just pencil Mayo in as DH, but then he's battling it out with at least 3-4 other people. The playing time just isn't there and let's be frank: he wasn't helping the team.

He has things he needs to work on both from a hitting perspective and certainly fielding wise. 

He'll be back sooner than folks think.

Soto is interesting. He's not great at 3B, either. But he can play 2B and SS as well. 2B is his primary position. Think it's important to note he hasn't played 3B in the minors since last year. So ,this speaks more to me that they look at him as a backup 2B, SS and wouldn't put him at 3B.

This means more Ramon Urias at 3B until Westy is back.