Soto up, Mayo down

deward

I don't like the move. A few days ago sure. He looked lost at the plate and in the field. But yesterday it wasn't just that he got his first hit. He looked better in the field too. Overall his at bats looked much better.

I think Elias and Sig have one issue. It seems to me they look at everything so analytically, they forget about the human side of things. The kid get his first hit and that was a huge monkey off his back. A confidence boost. I would have liked to have seen if he could build on that. Instead he gets sent back to the minors.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

What about Soto intrigues you?   He's got 7 years of .683 OPS in the minors.

His last 3 years against righties (minors) and SS/2B capability:

• 2024: 291 AVG, 823 OPS
  • 2023: 239, 722
  • 2022: 303, 788 

I don't think there's much ceiling here, but he's more versatile than Mayo, and with the Red Sox throwing out 3 righties means that Ramon will have more time at 3B and they'll want Soto in a pinch as he also has some decent speed. 

That said, who is Soto going to PH for if it's against righties? Holliday is a lefty and plays 2B, Gunnar is a lefty and plays SS. It's interesting, but I reckon he's just an emergency defender/PR/PH type.

52 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

I would have liked to see more Mayo at DH and Urias at 3B, with Eloy regulated to pinch hitting duties. But I get it if Mayo at 3B and/or O'Hearn in the OF is just not acceptable on a regular basis. 

Right now Jimenez is the much more productive hitter at this level.

In time, I'm confident that Mayo will far surpass him. But right now in the midst of a pennant race, you don't have a lot of room for on the job training.

52 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

I would have liked to see more Mayo at DH and Urias at 3B, with Eloy regulated to pinch hitting duties. But I get it if Mayo at 3B and/or O'Hearn in the OF is just not acceptable on a regular basis. 

Right now Jimenez is the much more productive hitter at this level.

In time, I'm confident that Mayo will far surpass him. But right now in the midst of a pennant race, you don't have a lot of room for on the job training.

55 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Except Jiminez has hit .414 since his arrival.

15 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

I don't like the move. A few days ago sure. He looked lost at the plate and in the field. But yesterday it wasn't just that he got his first hit. He looked better in the field too. Overall his at bats looked much better.

I think Elias and Sig have one issue. It seems to me they look at everything so analytically, they forget about the human side of things. The kid get his first hit and that was a huge monkey off his back. A confidence boost. I would have liked to have seen if he could build on that. Instead he gets sent back to the minors.

I agree with the hitting part of your post. But the fielding is another story.

Is the statement of him "looking better in the field" inclusive of the routine grounder hit at him that he almost threw away (several feet off the bag) and had to have Mountcastle save him from an error on what should have been a very routine play?

If that is the bar for success/what is acceptable, then the bar is probably too low.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I think Mayo's biggest detriment is he doesn't play 3B well and his other position is completely blocked by Mounty and O'Hearn, both of which have hit much better than Mayo. Yeah, you could just pencil Mayo in as DH, but then he's battling it out with at least 3-4 other people. The playing time just isn't there and let's be frank: he wasn't helping the team.

He has things he needs to work on both from a hitting perspective and certainly fielding wise. 

He'll be back sooner than folks think.

Soto is interesting. He's not great at 3B, either. But he can play 2B and SS as well. 2B is his primary position. Think it's important to note he hasn't played 3B in the minors since last year. So ,this speaks more to me that they look at him as a backup 2B, SS and wouldn't put him at 3B.

This means more Ramon Urias at 3B until Westy is back. 

I agree with your observations but not your conclusions.

Who is the backup 3B now?  Don't say Gunnar because he in not moving off SS.  As you say Soto is poor at 3B.

I think Elias is just waiting for Davis or Segura to find their swing for average.  Then one of them will be promoted to  play 3B.   Urias backs up 3B/2B.

I think Soto stay will be short.  JMO.

As far as Mayo goes, he proved that he will not move Westburg off 3B.  Not for the playoffs and not for next year.   The O's have to move him to another position.  Probably 1B/DH.   That gets straighten out over the winter IMO.   Someone has to go between Mountcastle and O'Hearn.   Probably for starting pitching.

Just the way I see it.

Edited by wildcard

Good move, especially if it preserves his rookie status. No need to have someone learning on the job in a pennant race. Giving them a taste of the majors, then going back seems to have worked for Holliday. I'd like to see him get some time in right and see if that works.

It's understandable seeing Mayo's struggles at 3B.  If Mayo had been playing an average 3B, I think they would have stuck with him.  Soto's not exactly an All Star with the bat.  I assume Mayo is going to see a lot of time at 1B and won't be surprised if he gets some time in the OF.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree with your observations but not your conclusions.

Who is the backup 3B now?  Don't say Gunnar because he in not moving off SS.  As you say Soto is poor at 3B.

I think Elias is just waiting for Davis or Segura to find their swing for average.  Then one of them will be promoted to  play 3B.   Urias backup up 3B/2B.

I think Soto stay will be short.  JMO.

As far as Mayo goes, he proved that he will not move Westburg off 3B.  Not for the playoffs and not for next year.   The O's have to move him to another position.  Probably 1B/DH.   That gets straighten out of the winter IMO.   Someone has to go between Mountcastle and O'Hearn.   Probably for starting pitching.

Just the way I see it.

I don't disagree with you, tbh. There really isn't a real backup 3B right now. 

I'm not convinced Segura or Davis are better than Urias. Davis is a butcher with the glove and can't hit. 

I am intrigued by Segura, but that's mainly because I was interested in him in past years. He has a good glove and versatility. The question of course is...can he hit? 

But why would you start either of those guys over Urias? Soto is the odd man out if Segura/Davis comes up. Either of those guys are just insurance if/when Westy isn't available the rest of the year. 

15 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I’m fine with it. He wasn’t playing everyday and is always an option to come back soon. If Jimenez doesn’t hit he can be the DH vs LHP.  

He got a taste. 

He doesn’t need to play everyday to justify being here