We're going to be okay.

interloper

2 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

Gunnar has a .895 OPS in August. How hot do you want him to get? 

The disappointment, regression, and slumps have been elsewhere. 

Santander was slumping last night to a yearly rate of 138 runs/year.  The SSS brigade is out of control.

9 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Roy said Santander was slumping and had only driven in 4 runs and scored 6 runs in the last 7 games.  What constitutes a slump is starting to get ridiculous.

I think Roy thinks that everyone this side of Judge is slumping.

Every runner in scoring position should score, runs should be scored every inning, opposing starters out of the game by the fourth inning.

6 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

I am worried that we may get swept by Houston and the Dodgers and that would be 8 losses in a row! Where will we be as far as a WC after the bad streak????

I've switched from caring about the MFYs to Boston. There's no other real competition for the last wild card spot, but they're only 4 behind us in the loss column. And losing along with us again today, while NY cruises.

Edit: 2 innings later, make that a win for us and BOS 5 behind. I stand corrected. Go reverse jinx!

Edited by now

A lot of their struggles are actually very simple. Pretty much since the end of that Texas series, their best players have been awful compared to their first 3 months of the season. 

Gunnar: 114 wRC+ and 1.3 WAR in 50 games since 6/30. 180 wRC+ and 5.4 WAR in 82 games prior. 4.2, 10.7

Westburg: 99 wRC+ and 0.3 WAR in 25 games since 6/30. 139 wRC+ and 2.5 WAR in 76 games prior. 1.9, 5.3

Adley: 60 wRC+ and -0.1 WAR in 44 games since 6/30. 136 wRC+ and 3.0 WAR in 78 games prior. -0.4, 6.2

Burnes: 4.99 ERA, 4.37 FIP, 0.6 WAR in 10 starts since 6/30. 2.28 ERA and 2.4 WAR in 17 starts prior.

Kimbrel: 6.23 ERA, 6.98 FIP, and -0.5 WAR in 17.1 IP since 6/30. 2.37 and 0.9 WAR in 30.1 IP prior. 

In total, they have been worth 1.6 since WAR since 6/30 and were worth 14.2 WAR before that date. That’s a huge difference and the main reason (even including injuries) that the team is struggling. I know Kimbrel is no longer one of their best players and Westburg has been hurt, but their 3 best position players and their ace have all dropped off a cliff. Adley has been below replacement level for 2 months and Gunnar hasn’t been as bad, but his drop in his WAR has been almost exactly the same.

It doesn’t matter who they get back from injuries, they aren’t winning anything with their best players frankly playing like crap. They really need Adley, Gunnar, and Burnes to figure it out.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

A lot of their struggles are actually very simple. Pretty much since the end of that Texas series, their best players have been awful compared to their first 3 months of the season. 

Gunnar: 114 wRC+ and 1.3 WAR in 50 games since 6/30. 180 wRC+ and 5.4 WAR in 82 games prior. 4.2, 10.7

Westburg: 99 wRC+ and 0.3 WAR in 25 games since 6/30. 139 wRC+ and 2.5 WAR in 76 games prior. 1.9, 5.3

Adley: 60 wRC+ and -0.1 WAR in 44 games since 6/30. 136 wRC+ and 3.0 WAR in 78 games prior. -0.4, 6.2

Burnes: 4.99 ERA, 4.37 FIP, 0.6 WAR in 10 starts since 6/30. 2.28 ERA and 2.4 WAR in 17 starts prior.

Kimbrel: 6.23 ERA, 6.98 FIP, and -0.5 WAR in 17.1 IP since 6/30. 2.37 and 0.9 WAR in 30.1 IP prior. 

In total, they have been worth 1.6 since WAR since 6/30 and were worth 14.2 WAR before that date. That’s a huge difference and the main reason (even including injuries) that the team is struggling. I know Kimbrel is no longer one of their best players and Westburg has been hurt, but their 3 best position players and their ace have all dropped off a cliff. Adley has been below replacement level for 2 months and Gunnar hasn’t been as bad, but his drop in his WAR has been almost exactly the same.

It doesn’t matter who they get back from injuries, they aren’t winning anything with their best players frankly playing like crap. They really need Adley, Gunnar, and Burnes to figure it out.

Gunnar has dropped his OPS from .988 on 7/7 to .904 now. I'm not implying that he's not having a great season,  but he's been down in a time where they really need him at the plate. 

Adley almost has to have an injury explanation for his downturn. 

8 minutes ago, OrioleintheATL said:

Rather be playing like this now than in a month.  At least we have that potential upside.

We have been playing like this for half the season. Potential is there but I am not sure why people think anything different will happen, unless changes to the team and team approach happen. 

I think they will make the playoffs.  I hope they figure out how to turn it around.  But they are painful to watch right now.  Their brand of baseball the  last couple months is very ugly. Def not staying up late again anytime soon to watch.