Terry Crowley at today's Orioles hall of fame lunch

baloriole4

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can see it being tasteless (and I don't disagree) but nonsensical?

You got the right to be tasteless.

It was his moment and he chose to express himself at a forum and took it.

I wouldn't have said it, but to level an accusation of senility?

I didn’t mean to sound like I supported the senility comment. My bad. I vaguely remember Crowley being strongly opinionated when he was a coach. He would occasionally get quoted by local media saying something grumpy or brusque. This quote makes him sound like a disgruntled former employee who doesn’t give a crap that people were celebrating his career and impact. And I find that extremely nonsensical especially since he’s talking out of his butt about something that didn’t any have anything to do with the orioles. It makes him sound like a butthole and a bit of an idiot. 

• Upvote 1

Between the comments and the undershirt, it almost seemed more like he was sauced than suffering from the conditions demonstrated by a certain former presidential candidate.

Regardless, kind of a bizarre situation. 

• Downvote 1

Crowley was the hitting coach during most of the worst period in this club’s history. I don’t get why he’s at all, and I especially don’t give AF about his opinion of Elias. 

He honestly looked bothered at even being out there. 

• Upvote 2

This has been one of the more amusing threads on here recently. 

As for Crowley, I really don’t care one way or another about him. I don’t have particularly fond memories of him as the hitting coach here, what he was able to do/not do used to be a big source of contention on here. 

Yes, Markakis was a big fan of his but Markakis also went from looking like a .300 25-35 homer guy to a .280 15 homer guy while he was here, IIRC. 

If his comments about Elias are true, that’s pretty stupid…especially in the setting he’s in. That’s a lack of professionalism. 

But he also wouldn’t be the first crotchety old fartknocker who just doesn’t care about what he says or who he says it in front of.  Same with the T-shirt, he obviously just doesn’t care anymore. A lot of people reach that stage in their lives, he’s not the first. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

I didn’t mean to sound like I supported the senility comment. My bad. I vaguely remember Crowley being strongly opinionated when he was a coach. He would occasionally get quoted by local media saying something grumpy or brusque. This quote makes him sound like a disgruntled former employee who doesn’t give a crap that people were celebrating his career and impact. And I find that extremely nonsensical especially since he’s talking out of his butt about something that didn’t any have anything to do with the orioles. It makes him sound like a butthole and a bit of an idiot. 

My "senility" comment is being taken out of context. My point being I assume Crowley is a reasonably intelligent man. There was no reason for him to tell people he didn't like Elias in that setting. It was non-sensical considering where and when he was speaking. The "senility" comment was my way of saying "wtf was Crow thinking??". Sorry can of corn was offended.

• Upvote 1

Crow's speech is posted on  MASN's YouTube channel.  There's a jump in the middle of it where something was edited out.  It comes right after he made a point about the old crew developing Santander, Mullins, Mountcastle, Hays, and Mancini.  He obviously cares and takes pride in his work as a hitting instructor.  

With that said, he is probably still bitter about getting fired along with the others.   So what?  Like Vito Corleone, it's business.   That's what happens when new management takes over and changes everything.

Firings are hard.  Look at the all the flak the Mariners are getting after letting their manager go.  Perhaps the changing of the guard could have been handled better by new management.   In the end, it is still a mass firing no matter how they go about it.  It happens everywhere.  

10 minutes ago, SouthRider said:

Crow's speech is posted on  MASN's YouTube channel.  There's a jump in the middle of it where something was edited out.  It comes right after he made a point about the old crew developing Santander, Mullins, Mountcastle, Hays, and Mancini.  He obviously cares and takes pride in his work as a hitting instructor.  

With that said, he is probably still bitter about getting fired along with the others.   So what?  Like Vito Corleone, it's business.   That's what happens when new management takes over and changes everything.

Firings are hard.  Look at the all the flak the Mariners are getting after letting their manager go.  Perhaps the changing of the guard could have been handled better by new management.   In the end, it is still a mass firing no matter how they go about it.  It happens everywhere.  

He wasn’t fired by Elias.  He was gone before that.  

23 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

OK, after talking with some Oriole insiders, and what they told me, here's what happened. Crowley was still with the Orioles in a capacity of roving hitting instructor when Elias cleaned house.He never spoke to Crowley who at the time was undergoing treatment for cancer and needed the job. Crowley was bitter. To some, maybe understandably so. But in my opinion, the Orioles HOF luncheon, where Crowley is being honored, is NOT the place to air bitterness and resentment. So, there ya go.

Thanks Roy.   I can understand his feelings under the circumstances.  I wouldn’t have brought it up at the lunch, but at least now I get where he’s coming from.