Orioles sign Nick Anderson

Getz

28 minutes ago, now said:

Great, join the party!

Looking at that bullpen depth chart, it looks like the B team if we have a lead tonight (Akin, Kimbrel, Soto).

Akin isn’t part of the B team this year.

Although im not sure we have an A team either.

5 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I believe that Burch Smith actually cannot be optioned without his consent because he’s accrued 5 years of service time. He has the option remaining, but he can elect FA if they option him.

Unclear who is going to go for Anderson. 

Smith has had no options since 2019.

15 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

For Anderson to be eligible for the post-season, doesn't he have to be added to the 40-man roster today? I'm surprised there hasn't been any announcement about him today.

Correct. Unless he’s replacing an injured player. I reckon we’ll hear after or towards the end of game time. They have until 11:59pm ET.

15 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Correct. Unless he’s replacing an injured player. I reckon we’ll hear after or towards the end of game time. They have until 11:59pm ET.

The rules are a bit confusing. If Kremer goes on the IL and they bring up Anderson today (Sept 1st), Anderson will be eligible for the postseason?

19 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

The rules are a bit confusing. If Kremer goes on the IL and they bring up Anderson today (Sept 1st), Anderson will be eligible for the postseason?

Kremer would need to serve the minimum IL stint time (15 days, for the shortest stint) and get permission from the Commissioner’s Office, but it is generally a formality. Really the big thing is getting on the 40 man. Right now the Orioles have 46 people on it, but 6 are on the 60 day IL and don’t count against it.

They've got a full 40 man. Kremer in theory could go from the 15 to the 60 and then Anderson could take his spot. And so could Jacob Webb, for example. Webb is currently on the shorter IL duration but already served that time.

Edited by LookitsPuck
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Kremer would need to serve the minimum IL stint time (15 days, for the shortest stint) and get permission from the Commissioner’s Office, but it is generally a formality. Really the big thing is getting on the 40 man. Right now the Orioles have 46 people on it, but 6 are on the 60 day IL and don’t count against it.

They've got a full 40 man. Kremer in theory could go from the 15 to the 60 and then Anderson could take his spot. And so could Jacob Webb, for example. Webb is currently on the shorter IL duration but already served that time.

Seems like it would have been easier to just add Anderson to the 40-man last night and DFA someone like Burch Smith. I'm surprised they didn't do that.