RIP Pete Rose

Just Regular

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea but those are actors.  We had the trifecta of actors.  Now we are onto athletes.

Kristofferson was a musician, first and foremost.  Stop listening to Kid Rock and go put on Sunday Morning Coming Down.

Anyway, I bet Pete's in the Hall of Fame in the next 5 years.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Kristofferson was a musician, first and foremost.  Stop listening to Kid Rock and go put on Sunday Morning Coming Down.

Kid Rock?  WTF?  Awful.

Kristofferson was also an actor.

Love him or hate him, when I was a kid growing up, if someone asked me who's the most clutch hitter in the game - easy, Pete Rose (who I despised, BTW).

If some one asked me today, after all these years, who is the most clutch hitter of your lifetime - easy, Pete Rose.

For the record, I watched the 1970 ASG live as a kid and me and all my friends agreed that Rose was a total badass for his 12th inning game winning collision...they played like men in those days.

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I did not like Pete Rose at all, but this isn’t the occasion to get into it.  RIP to Mr. Rose.  

I usually agree regarding the timing.  But not in this instance.  His character and integrity is a big part of the public diacussion around Charlie Histle.  It's a healthy discussion we should have.

He made public opinion part of his legacy.  Not because of his fame (i.e. normal athletic stardom).  But in how he tried to use it to gain support for his HOF push.  His character is a big part of who he was.  

Ultimately you couldn't resist adding your opinion on the man. It's part of the discussion  and Pete's legacy.  

15 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

No reason he can't go in next year.   The lifetime ban is no longer in effect.

14 minutes ago, SteveA said:

No reason he can't go in next year.   The lifetime ban is no longer in effect.

Fine with me.  

It's also fine with me if he doesn't ever get in, either.  It's been 35 years since the ban, it's tiresome and exhausting.  In some ways, he casts a shadow over the Hall of Fame that no one will ever really be able to match and that's not a good thing.  Like, if he got in next year posthumously he's going to overshadow Ichiro and Sabathia and that's not fair to those guys.

I've never really had a strong opinion on Rose to the HOF, but I will say that its a bad look to have him out for gambling while I have to sit through all the damn 'single game parlay' picks on pregame shows and what not.  I know, he bet on games he was involved in, and I used to think that was a legit reason to keep him out - and maybe it still is.  I'm just not so sure anymore given the overall embrace of sports gambling.  Its everywhere, its annoying, and it moves the needle a bit in re Rose, IMO.