I would not pick up O'Hearn 8m option

wildcard

I think there's a huge case to be made for trading Mounty and keeping O'Hearn as your primary LH 1B, sharing duties with Mayo. Yeah, you lose some defense, no question.

But Mounty has basically given up trying to hit for power, and if you can get a reliever for him in the off-season, you do it. O'Hearn gives you much higher quality ABs than Mounty, and you have to create some room for Mayo. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I think you have done a poor job of paying attention if you think these things are true but really, I don’t have the energy to go back and forth with you and your ridiculous conspiracy theories and your “well I think” narratives.

If you think they are going to block the elite prospects they have been angling to play for a while, fine.  You can keep thinking that.

They’ve spent the last 3 seasons blocking their prospects. Why would they stop now?

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Move Adley and his ailing back to first base. Get rid of Mounty, get rid of O’Hearn.  Our 26 year old leader is already in the back half of his career from a physical perspective.

I don’t care what happens to Mayo. Sorry, Roy. Tired of trying to fit in guys who haven’t earned anything. 

I think moving Adley to first base has merit. A healthy and productive Adley Rutschman is key to our offense. I think Mayo needs to commit to RF. Obviously he will need to work on his OF skills, but that big arm works to his advantage out there.

But a lot of this stuff is timing. How long before Basallo is ML ready? Do we bring back McCann for one more year to be the primary catcher? How quickly can Kjerstad and Mayo play a reasonable RF? How long does it take for Adley to play a decent first base? Is he still going to serve as a 2nd catcher? Say 40 to 50 games a year? Who can we find who can be a real RH hitting OFer to spell Cowser and Mullins? Remember, RH hitters are not clamoring for the shot to hit in Waltimore. I heard bregman has said he would not consider the O’s because of the wall. 

I am guessing that Santander is gone. I’m hoping that Burnes is not. Mountcastle and O’Hearn should be gone. A premium should be placed on speed, defense and contact IMO. it’s gonna be a very interesting offseason

1 minute ago, theobird said:

I think moving Adley to first base has merit. A healthy and productive Adley Rutschman is key to our offense. I think Mayo needs to commit to RF. Obviously he will need to work on his OF skills, but that big arm works to his advantage out there.

But a lot of this stuff is timing. How long before Basallo is ML ready? Do we bring back McCann for one more year to be the primary catcher? How quickly can Kjerstad and Mayo play a reasonable RF? How long does it take for Adley to play a decent first base? Is he still going to serve as a 2nd catcher? Say 40 to 50 games a year? Who can we find who can be a real RH hitting OFer to spell Cowser and Mullins? Remember, RH hitters are not clamoring for the shot to hit in Waltimore. I heard bregman has said he would not consider the O’s because of the wall. 

I am guessing that Santander is gone. I’m hoping that Burnes is not. Mountcastle and O’Hearn should be gone. A premium should be placed on speed, defense and contact IMO. it’s gonna be a very interesting offseason

I think it's got some merit but I don't know what to expect from Adley in regards to defense at first base.  Mounty has fashioned himself into a pretty solid defender at first base.  I'm having a hard time seeing Adley's fat ass being nimble and quick around the bag if I'm being honest.  

You are right, a lot of it is timing.  But quite frankly, I'm good with carrying two backup catchers and waiting for Basallo if Adley were to move to first base.  IMO, catchers are here to call a good game, handle the staff, block pitches in the dirt, frame and steal strikes, do what they can to control the running game and provide leadership.  I'm completely over this wet dream of having a catcher that can hit after watching Wieters and Adley's 2nd half this year.  If you can luck your way into having a catcher that can hit, that's a bonus but it shouldn't be a focal point of building the team.  Here's hoping Adley can bounce back and be good with the bat next year and stay healthy.  Hard to believe he's dealing with nagging injuries that are effecting performance at age 26 but that's where we are.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Maybe it's you that are not paying attention.  Elias has been holding prospects back so there are not too many of them breaking in at the same time for the last two seasons.

And the ones that broke through THIS season will be starting next season...just like the ones that broke through the season before.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Maybe it's you that are not paying attention.  Elias has been holding prospects back so there are not too many of them breaking in at the same time for the last two seasons.

Cowser, Kjerstad, Holliday, Mayo…all rookies, all got some or significant time this season. So no, I’m paying attention. 

12 minutes ago, 1fingerwillie said:

Gunnar, Westburg, Heston, Holliday, Mayo, Grayson, Cowser were blocked? 

Other than Cowser and Gunnar, yes. Kjerstad, Holliday, and Mayo were all blocked this year through resigning O’Hearn, Urias and Mateo. Westburg was held down in 2022 for Jesus Aguilar. Grayson was infamously left off the OD roster his first year. They played service time games with Adley too. 

4 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Other than Cowser and Gunnar, yes. Kjerstad, Holliday, and Mayo were all blocked this year through resigning O’Hearn, Urias and Mateo. Westburg was held down in 2022 for Jesus Aguilar. Grayson was infamously left off the OD roster his first year. They played service time games with Adley too. 

I see. So they weren't blocked...they just didn't get called up on your timetable.

Did I imagine Holliday getting called up to the Majors in April? I must have as he was blocked.

Edited by 1fingerwillie

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I want to immediately say, what does it say about Rubenstein that Santa won’t be our RF?

But…

I’m not sure giving Santa 150m is a good move. That Soto guy would be nice. Haha

There’s no need to give Santa 150 this offseason, let him go get his bag with another team .

Rubenstein should prioritize keeping Burnes and sign some FA players to augment the team 

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Mayo has nothing to prove at AAA has a hitter.   But he has a lot to prove as a defensive 1B.  He needs to do that in games.   ST will be a test for Mayo at 1B.    But the O's have to have other players in place in case Mayo is not ready defensively.

The Orioles handling of players like Mayo is very frustrating. It was pretty clear that his future was not at 3B and yet they played him very little at 1B. They keep doing this with prospects and it is really stupid. Mayo should already be an experienced first baseman.