Elias and Hyde address the media today

Sports Guy

Disappointing that they’re both addressing the media. Doubt we see much change in the team’s approach next season. I’m sure we’ll hear excuses about injuries, and typical generic Hyde speak about what the team needs to do that flies in the face of what they actually do. Keep it up and it might be only Rubenstein addressing the media next year. 

I am sure whatever they say will have been written by AI.  The only interesting part will be if the analytics tell them that is best to take a pee break during the media session, or if the stats say it is better to wait until the session is over.  I guess the optimal choice is whatever produces the best exit velocity combined with several other advanced urination metrics.   

I don't want to hear a single thing about injuries. You were at full strength offensively (aside from Mateo) a week before the playoffs. Sure, maybe Westy/Urias/Mounty were rusty, but that doesn't explain Santander/Gunnar/Adley/Cowser looking completely and utterly inept when it mattered.

There is no excuse for having this team absolutely crater time and time again with RISP and the only time they did a score run was on a solo shot. Whether this is because of the hitting coaches not being able to get through, the sports psychologist not working, or anything in between...there needs to be a serious retrospective done by Elias and company. 

Edited by LookitsPuck

Immediate questions I'd ask: 

• What caused the dropoff from 2023 to 2024 for batting average and OPS w/ RISP? Down from 287 AVG/837 OPS and 597 RBI to 251/741 and 488 RBI.
  • What on Earth happened to Adley in the second half immediately following getting hit on the hand in the Rangers game if it's not injury related?
  • Will the hitting coaches be back next year?
  • Will the Orioles be aggressive in free agency for starting pitchers?
  • Will the Orioles be aggressive in free agency for established relievers?
  • Looking back on the trade deadline, do you regret not going after any reliable, established starting position players?
  • Trevor Rogers dramatic dropoff in velocity nearly immediately after acquiring him, what is the reason for this?
  • Do you have an aversion to long or medium term deals? Or was this a function of the John Angelos regime?

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

• What caused the dropoff from 2023 to 2024 for batting average and OPS w/ RISP? Down from 287 AVG/837 OPS and 597 RBI to 251/741 and 488 RBI.
  •  

Chance.

The Padres went from one of the worst teams with RISP to one of the best, despite losing maybe the best hitter in the game.

Bryce Harper had an OPS+ of 234 in "late and close" in 2023.  In 2024 it was 84.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Chance.

The Padres went from one of the worst teams with RISP to one of the best, despite losing maybe the best hitter in the game.

Bryce Harper had an OPS+ of 234 in "late and close" in 2023.  In 2024 it was 84.

You evidence is no less anecdotal than the evidence that others are providing.  You may say there is no such thing as clutch, I think it is rare but exists.  But there is definitely anti-clutch.  Guys can get in their own heads and choke under the pressure.  It needs to be looked at as to whether this is what is happening.

11 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

• What on Earth happened to Adley in the second half immediately following getting hit on the hand in the Rangers game if it's not injury related?
  • Will the hitting coaches be back next year?
  • Will the Orioles be aggressive in free agency for starting pitchers?
  • Will the Orioles be aggressive in free agency for established relievers?
  • Looking back on the trade deadline, do you regret not going after any reliable, established starting position players?
  • Trevor Rogers dramatic dropoff in velocity nearly immediately after acquiring him, what is the reason for this?
  • Do you have an aversion to long or medium term deals? Or was this a function of the John Angelos regime?

How about open ended questions?

Do you believe that changes are necessary?

Do you believe that there is any sort of systemic problem with hitting approach?

Is there any sort of culture issue?

Is something being done to determine why prospects struggle so much when they first come up?