Orioles Cannot be Complacent -- Look at History

baltfan

3 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Where they are right now, yes. The goal this year wasn’t to just make the playoffs, it was to win. All year they talked about revenge for last year, getting in, and getting hot. They got in and completely fell flat. 

Yea they did..but injuries were a major part of that.

Not the only problem but it was a big one.

15 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Being a good young cheap team ala the Rays is not going to be good enough IMO. 

I don’t think that it needs to be a Burnes or nothing offseason. There is a need/room for other players who can help.

Being a good young cheap team ( especially if they’re winning) is nice . The only problem is they tend get swept out of postseason or fail to get in .

Signing Burnes is just a start to our offseason .  If we let him walk , we will regret it . 

6 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

It's not about being complacent, it is how do you overcome the disastrous roster building done by Elias

Without a major influx of talent this team will miss the playoffs next year

What could fix it?

Sign Will Adames, move Gunnar to 3B,  Westburg 2B

Sign Burnes

Sign a RHH, high OBP, above average defensive OF'er to replace Santander

Trade postition players that still have value (Holliday,  Mayo, Basallo) to get a pipeline of SP prospects that could be ready by end of 2025

Will Elias make any bold moves, don't think so

Second most wins in sport last 2 years and ripping the GM. Comical.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea they did..but injuries were a major part of that.

Not the only problem but it was a big one.

That’s true. Adley was a huge factor. Losing Grayson hurt a lot as did Coulombe. Bradish and Bautista being out were impactful but expected. 

There’s no shame in not winning it all. I just think the expectation was to at least win the WC series and they didn’t win a single game. Injuries or not, that’s not good enough after also not winning a single playoff game last year.  

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Actually lots of teams are using hitting and pitching coaches that were never players.

Last year, the Os walked 8.4% of the time.  This year it was 7.9%. They finished around 20th in the league both years. Last year, they saw 3.93 P/PA. This year it’s 3.9.

Did you have an issue last year?  Did you want them to change their philosophy and fire the hitting coaches then?

I bring up the ex player to say it’s less all data driven. There’s no right answer. It goes without saying a coach is only as good as their talent. We have 3 person offensive coach department. I think it’s reasonable to make some changes there after this year.

are you advocating for not making any personnel changes? I agree with you I could care less if they keep or fire Hyde.

and to answer your question yes I had an issue with their approach last year but they had success with it so it was less glaring than this year. 

Just now, casadeozo said:

I bring up the ex player to say it’s less all data driven. There’s no right answer. It goes without saying a coach is only as good as their talent. We have 3 person offensive coach department. I think it’s reasonable to make some changes there after this year.

are you advocating for not making any personnel changes? I agree with you I could care less if they keep or fire Hyde.

and to answer your question yes I had an issue with their approach last year but they had success with it so it was less glaring than this year. 

I don’t think they need to drastically change anything…I do think some tweaking is needed though.