Loewen and Olson

Frobby

Can we change this thread to 2009 Former Orioles? After the O's game last night I turned on the very impressive MLB Tonight on the MLB Network just in time to see our old friend Kevin Millar make a diving catch of a lined drive at first and nearly double off the runner at second base. It was incredible. I miss Millar and wish him lots of luck in Toronto. So far he's 4 for 12 with one RBI.

Ponson has a 5.14 ERA in 7IP's but a 1.29 WHIP and .222 BAA

Maine has a 3.60 ERA in 5IP's and a 0.60 WHIP

Yeah Maine always has a pretty good WHIP...and hes only going to get better. He pitched most of last season injured and his arm isn't back to full strength yet, which is why he is pitching at the back end of the rotation right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Loewen is playing now, but hasn't been impressive so far: .176/.317/.206 for high-A Dunedin, in 11 games.

Olson is having a solid start at AAA Tacoma, 3.08 ERA in 5 starts and a WHIP under 1.00. He has allowed 12 hits and walked 12 in 26.1 IP.

Loewen is playing now, but hasn't been impressive so far: .176/.317/.206 for high-A Dunedin, in 11 games.

Olson is having a solid start at AAA Tacoma, 3.08 ERA in 5 starts and a WHIP under 1.00. He has allowed 12 hits and walked 12 in 26.1 IP.

Pretty awesome OBP for a guy who's hitting .176.

I won't shed any tears over losing Olson, even if Pie never materializes. He obviously is OK at the MiL level, but there is something about the majors that he can't handle.

Yeah Maine always has a pretty good WHIP...and hes only going to get better. He pitched most of last season injured and his arm isn't back to full strength yet, which is why he is pitching at the back end of the rotation right now.
Year  	Age  	Tm  	Lg  	W  	L  	W-L%  	ERA  	G  	GS  	GF  	CG  	SHO  	SV  	IP  	H  	R  	ER  	HR  	BB  	IBB  	SO  	HBP  	BK  	WP  	BF  	ERA+  	WHIP  	H/9  	HR/9  	BB/9  	SO/9  	SO/BB  	Awards
2009  	28  	NYM  	NL  	2  	2  	.500  	5.20  	5  	5  	0  	0  	0  	0  	27.2  	20  	17  	16  	2  	18  	1  	22  	1  	0  	1  	120  	83  	1.373  	6.5  	0.7  	5.9  	7.2  	1.22

Obviously small sample, and the hits per inning is great. He's walking a lot of guys now and his ERA+ is pretty bad. I think he's a good 4-5 in the NL, but he's never going to be a dominant pitcher.

Through May 11, Loewen is hitting .208/.356/.229. Pretty ironic that a pitcher who issued so many walks is also pretty adept at drawing them as a hitter. He's also striking out a ton -- 21 times in 59 plate appearances.

Through May 11, Loewen is hitting .208/.356/.229. Pretty ironic that a pitcher who issued so many walks is also pretty adept at drawing them as a hitter. He's also striking out a ton -- 21 times in 59 plate appearances.

So his batting eye is good right now. Will the ability to hit the ball get any better. That is the question.

.220 SLG for a 6-foot-6 guy? I wasn't sad when he signed elsewhere and his early numbers suggest the Orioles were right not to get into a bidding contest over him.

That's probably something close to my career line in little league. :o

.220 SLG for a 6-foot-6 guy? I wasn't sad when he signed elsewhere and his early numbers suggest the Orioles were right not to get into a bidding contest over him.

They were pretty aggressive to start him in High A in my opinion. Maybe he will come around, but nothing he did in Hawaii or so far in Dunedin suggests he has any real pop in his bat.

Archived