Penn walked Daniel Cabrera on 4 pitches!

Boy Howdy

I missed the Nats game today, as I was working, but I see that Daniel Cabrera drew a 4-pitch walk from Hayden Penn in the bottom of the 5th.

Cabrera turned over a 3-1 lead to the Nats bullpen, but they coughed it up and dropped to 1-10. Overall Daniel's line looked like 5ip 3h 2r 2er 4bb 0k

Cabrera also ended his string of striking out in every official career at bat at 18 by grounding out to first against Chris Volstad in the 4th.

Penn worked 2/3 of an inning, allowing one hit & the walk to Cabrera.

I don't even know what to say. My first thought was that I'm sure this is some kind of sign of the apocalypse. The second was that this completely justified Penn's release, which is crazy, of course. But he did walk a guy who's probably a worse major league hitter than me. The third was that I guess this is just one of those things that happens and it has no higher meaning. But I keep going back to that first thought...

I don't even know what to say. My first thought was that I'm sure this is some kind of sign of the apocalypse. The second was that this completely justified Penn's release, which is crazy, of course. But he did walk a guy who's probably a worse major league hitter than me. The third was that I guess this is just one of those things that happens and it has no higher meaning. But I keep going back to that first thought...

*begins digging bunker, just in case*

Kinda like...

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.

Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?

Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.

Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...

Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!

Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

:)

I saw the at-bat, it was pretty bad. Penn wasn't even close with any of his pitches. The walk to DCab loaded the bases, and the inning could've been disasterous if the Nats crummy lead-off guy hadn't bailed him out. He must've swung at ball 4 at least 2 or 3 times, eventually grounding out to 3rd on another ball out of the zone.

Lord I hope you meant to leave the probably out of that sentence. If you are that bad I don't now what to say.

Cabrera and the catcher were actually (IMO) laughing or making a joke of the situation after the mound visit following the first two balls. It was painful to watch as he threw the next two...

I only caught a bit of the game, but I saw Cabrera's fastball velocity was sitting at around 89 in the last two innings he pitched, and his balls and strikes were nearly even...

Archived