A Very Silent Selig

olehippi

"The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that outfielder Manny Ramirez of the Los Angeles Dodgers has been suspended for 50 games for a violation of Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. The suspension of Ramirez is effective immediately."

Outside of this initial press release, Commissioner Bud Selig, and his office, have been silent about Ramirez. In the past, Selig has been labeled as a "do nothing" commissioner, especially because of his silence following the Congressional hearings on steroids.

Have things changed? Manny has been exposed, but still there is silence. I wonder if this is because Selig is embarrassed...or perhaps because all hell is getting ready to break lose with the release of other names?

I think that the entire Bud Selig term as commissioner has been a travesty, but honestly there wasn't anything more that needed to be said here.

While I definitely agree on both counts, I also think I posed a legitimate question......the silence seems foreboding.

While I definitely agree on both counts, I also think I posed a legitimate question......the silence seems foreboding.

Well, those 103 other names are out there somewhere (maybe 102 now...), so there's the potential for having that come out and really hurt the sport.

Really though, when some bench guy or minor-league player gets suspended, is there any more or less of a statement?

The Ramirez announcement came right before ARod's return. That's a combustible and unpredictable combination of events. What better strategy could Selig adopt if he wants the story to die as quickly as possible?

The Ramirez announcement came right before ARod's return. That's a combustible and unpredictable combination of events. What better strategy could Selig adopt if he wants the story to die as quickly as possible?

And being the saber-rattling conspiracy theorist that I am....Hm-m-m-m.....:scratchchinhmm:

I wonder how much Guthrie was paid to follow the script and groove a batting practice speed fast ball on that first pitch to ARod?

I'm not exactly sure what more Selig could say on the Ramirez suspension. He was tested in the spring. They found admorality in the testing, investigated, than suspended him.

I think that I like your version of "abnormality" better. Remove the "d" and it would even be spelled correctly. :)

And being the saber-rattling conspiracy theorist that I am....Hm-m-m-m.....:scratchchinhmm:

I wonder how much Guthrie was paid to follow the script and groove a batting practice speed fast ball on that first pitch to ARod?

OK, you got me, I'm baffled by your response. While I would genuinely love a great deal more candor on Selig's part on the subject of drugs and baseball, I'm not holding my breath waiting for him to publicly fall on his sword.

OK, you got me, I'm baffled by your response. While I would genuinely love a great deal more candor on Selig's part on the subject of drugs and baseball, I'm not holding my breath waiting for him to publicly fall on his sword.

You do understand it was meant as a joke, right? The conspiracy being for Selig to quickly bury the Ramirez suspension story by arranging to allow ARod the opportunity to hit a HR on the first pitch of his first AB coming off the D.

And it worked!!.....:P

Archived