Where is Our Clutch Hitting Late in Games?

Old#5fan

Is that this year or career wise?

You're just talking about this year...RIGHT?!?! That's what you keep saying????

And do you really think his OPS is going to drop significantly lower??

You're certifiable.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you ever think his stats were a main reason for a lot of those blowouts? I mean how many times has any current Oriole hit two grand slams in a game? I missed Jim Gentile do it but I saw Frank!:clap3:

So why doesn't Nick get credit for winning games when he is absolutely slaying the ball in the early innings?

And Chris Hoiles did. Was Chris Hoiles great? Or since you didnt get to "see" that, it doesn't really count.

So why doesn't Nick get credit for winning games when he is absolutely slaying the ball in the early innings?

And Chris Hoiles did. Was Chris Hoiles great? Or since you didnt get to "see" that, it doesn't really count.

Those splits don't mean what he did in games that were won by 1-run or 2-runs (or tied, which makes the meaning of the numbers obvious).

They are what he did in games that were currently tied, +/- 1 run, +/- 2 runs, +/- runs, +/- 4 runs, or <5 runs. So the tied and +/-1 run numbers are also included in the +/- 2-run split in addition to games that were currently +/- exactly 2 runs.

I can't say this enough: Stop trying to have legit conversations with him. He has no interest in learning anything. Just ignore him and this is a much more pleasant place to discuss baseball.

A simple question: Does what he has done over the entire course of his career or even just last year figure into the equation for you more or less than what he has done over the first month of this season, when deciding who you want up there with the game on the line tonight?

I guess this was a difficult question?

I gave an answer to you on post #289. Although no doubt, you will find it unsatisfactory.

IT did not answer the question thus my response. What data is more important? Last year, his career or the last 20 Close and Late ABs in deciding who you want up with the game on the line tonight. Don't bother answering I know your "real" answer, what ever some memories from some random past events make you feel like saying.

BTW I saw Nick hit three homeruns in one game as a rookie, I can't wait to use this on some whippersnapper when I get old to PROVE that some young buck is nothing when compared to Nick. Heck I can say it seemed like he did it all the time.

IT did not answer the question thus my response. What data is more important? Last year, his career or the last 20 Close and Late ABs in deciding who you want up with the game on the line tonight. Don't bother answering I know your "real" answer, what ever some memories from some random past events make you feel like saying.

BTW I saw Nick hit three homeruns in one game as a rookie, I can't wait to use this on some whippersnapper when I get old to PROVE that some young buck is nothing when compared to Nick. Heck I can say it seemed like he did it all the time.

That is an impressive feat. From my experience not too many bad or mediocre players hit three homers in a game. In fact as far as Orioles go I doubt there have been that many to do it ever. I know Boog did it at least once and maybe twice. Once was at Fenway. I also am pretty sure Roberto Alomar did it as an Oriole which is kind of surprising as he was not known for having that much HR power. I am not sure if Frank ever did it as an Oriole, and the same with Eddie. I think Cal might have but again, not sure. Anyway, the three homer feat is impressive at any time not just as a rookie.

He is OPS 1.000+ in the 3 spot! HOW ON EARTH IS THAT BELOW AVERAGE???

If you want to say he is struggling in the clutch this year, fine. But to go anywhere other than that is unfounded. Stop looking for holes that aren't there.

You keep saying you are ONLY talking about late game situations this year, but keep straying beyond that position and wind up with no evidence to support yourself.

Welcome to the world of Old Fan. He's so contradictory it's not funny. Now he wants to look at Nick's career numbers (there not below average but it's not really the point).

He waffles on everything just to try and fit his argument and when he's finally been defeated, he goes off on some other random tangent. That's why his argument has changed about 200 different times in this thread.

Did you ever think his stats were a main reason for a lot of those blowouts? I mean how many times has any current Oriole hit two grand slams in a game? I missed Jim Gentile do it but I saw Frank!:clap3:

I know you're not this much of a buffoon. Those stats clearly don't distinguish between whether the Orioles were blowing out team or if they were the team being blown out.

Is that this year or career wise? I know he struggled though last year as DT kept moving he and Mora between the third and second spot primarily because Mora was out producing him with RISP. That did occur, I just didn't dream it up either.

I know you know there's difference between not hitting as well in the 3 spot and struggling with below average numbers in the 3 spot. Nick hit fine in the 3 spot last season, it admittedly wasn't as good as he did in the 2 spot but was till good.

OF COURSE HE IS DOING IT ON PURPOSE!!!

NOBODY IS THIS UNABLE TO UNDERSTAND THE MOST BASIC OF ARGUMENTS. I know six year olds who would understand the things people are pointing out to him.

He is a classic contrarian who also happens to long for attention. He gets off on it. Can we please stop feeding him? Please????

By now I'm addicted to this.:D I need a 12 step program or something.

• 1 month later...
Despite all the praise some of our players have been getting heaped on them here lately (especially Roberts, Jones, and Markakis) I have to wonder what is wrong with their late game hitting in tight games? None of them seem to have the ability to come up big like our opponents do routinely with the big homer or hit late in close games. It seems like this team has to have a blow out to win.

I mean guys like Michael Young and Johnny Damon may not be hitting as good as Jones or Markakis overall, but they win tight games with timely clutch homers and hits. That is something this team lacks, very much and until they get it will not win many tight ball games ever.

I really could care less about hitting stats that end up not mattering. I want this team to start showing some clutch hitting ability. It seems instead this is a team chock full of chokers.

BUMP!

Yeah, it's too bad that Markakis is such a choker. He sure choked like a dog last night with 2 outs in the 8th, two on, down by a run against one of the best closers in the game.

And while I'm on the subject, I wonder if Dave Magadan was watching when BRob had his run scoring double in that same inning. Not bad for a guy who had already quit!

That's what, the sixth time the O's have erased a late inning deficit in the space of about two-three weeks?

June 13 -- Down 4-2 in the 7th, the O's score 6 runs in the 7th to beat the Braves, 8-4.

June 17 -- Down by 4-2 in the 8th, the O's score 1 in the 8th and 2 in the 9th to beat the Mets 5-4.

June 18 -- Down by 5-3 in the 9th, the O's score 3 times to beat the Mets, 6-5.

June 21 -- Down 1-0 in the 6th, the O's score 1 in the 6th and 1 in the 8th to beat the Phillies 2-1.

June 23 -- Down 6-1 in the 8th, the O's score 2 in the 8th and 3 in the 9th to tie the game 6-6 before falling to the Marlins in extra innings.

June 30 -- Down 10-1 in the 7th, the O's score 5 in the 7th and 5 in the 8th to beat the Red Sox 11-10.

I don't ever want to hear again about how these players are quitters or chokers. They aren't the best team in the world, and they make plenty of mental mistakes, but you really can't doubt their effort in my opinion.

That is an impressive feat. From my experience not too many bad or mediocre players hit three homers in a game. In fact as far as Orioles go I doubt there have been that many to do it ever. I know Boog did it at least once and maybe twice. Once was at Fenway. I also am pretty sure Roberto Alomar did it as an Oriole which is kind of surprising as he was not known for having that much HR power. I am not sure if Frank ever did it as an Oriole, and the same with Eddie. I think Cal might have but again, not sure. Anyway, the three homer feat is impressive at any time not just as a rookie.

Actually, the few times I've watched/listened to a game in which an Oriole has hit three home runs, it's been a "mediocre" player as often as one of the Oriole greats. For example, Juan Beniquez and Joe Orsulak.

Archived