Grant Green - Im Still a Fan

Everyone is down on Grant Green because he has shown a lack of power but Im not buying it. This year he only has 4 homeruns, but he also has 28 extra base hits, which in time will turn to homers. He has a 38:20 K/BB Ratio which is very respectable. All of this while batting .374 with 32 Rbis.

If we take Grant Green, nobody should be mad at all. In fact, the only player I would rather have, besides Ackley and Strasburg, is Matzek, especially with our desperate need for a SS.

Everyone is down on Grant Green because he has shown a lack of power but Im not buying it. This year he only has 4 homeruns, but he also has 28 extra base hits, which in time will turn to homers. He has a 38:20 K/BB Ratio which is very respectable. All of this while batting .374 with 32 Rbis.

If we take Grant Green, nobody should be mad at all. In fact, the only player I would rather have, besides Ackley and Strasburg, is Matzek, especially with our desperate need for a SS.

I agree with you that I am still a fan, I was the one fighting for him and pointing out the doubles and high average this year to counter the lack of HR. Sometimes maintaining the same level of play gets you dropped down. I just think that there are a couple players that have clearly passed him (you named 3, and Wheeler would be the other) and then Crow, Scheppers and S. Miller are close enough that someone could take them above him too without being too much debate. I have him squarely in the 5-10 range, but where he goes in there is like flipping a coin.

20 BB's against 38 K's doesn't sound so good to me, especially at the college level. The 18 errors in 54 games seems a little high too. Again, it's more than just numbers. I haven't been real impressed with the hitting video I've seen on Green either.

It happens, sometimes they let the pressure to put up good stats get to them and they start pressing inflating the k numbers a bit. The errors I wouldn't worry about as much, he tends to make a boatload of them early in the season and then will go weeks without making one. I think he made 17 errors in his first like 30 games and has made one since.

I agree with you that I am still a fan, I was the one fighting for him and pointing out the doubles and high average this year to counter the lack of HR. Sometimes maintaining the same level of play gets you dropped down. I just think that there are a couple players that have clearly passed him (you named 3, and Wheeler would be the other) and then Crow, Scheppers and S. Miller are close enough that someone could take them above him too without being too much debate. I have him squarely in the 5-10 range, but where he goes in there is like flipping a coin.

This is the basis behind the drop of Green down the list. Others have over taken him as he has.......Stagnated(would be putting it nicely).

My question is this, where has everyone gotten on this notion that we will be taking a HS arm? I remember seeing BA's mock draft saying that they believe we are zeroing in on Wheeler, but is there any other evidence/information that support this? I know BA is a very reputable site, but who else is saying we are shooting for a HSer? (I was on vaccation for 2 days and all of a sudden we are from the looks of it rumored to be taking Wheeler)

This is the basis behind the drop of Green down the list. Others have over taken him as he has.......Stagnated(would be putting it nicely).

My question is this, where has everyone gotten on this notion that we will be taking a HS arm? I remember seeing BA's mock draft saying that they believe we are zeroing in on Wheeler, but is there any other evidence/information that support this? I know BA is a very reputable site, but who else is saying we are shooting for a HSer? (I was on vaccation for 2 days and all of a sudden we are from the looks of it rumored to be taking Wheeler)

My expert opinion ;) says we take Wheeler or Matzek. I don't trust any of the mocks out there, they all keep changing day to day it seems no one really has a clue they just keep changing names around.

My expert opinion ;) says we take Wheeler or Matzek. I don't trust any of the mocks out there, they all keep changing day to day it seems no one really has a clue they just keep changing names around.

So is this the consensus if Crow isnt around? Or is that the consensus even if Crow is around?

So is this the consensus if Crow isnt around? Or is that the consensus even if Crow is around?

I'll put it this way, I don't know what the journalism experts are thinking, by my thought is Crow = 2 plus and an average with a red flag in the mechanics as an almost 23 year old. Wheeler = 2 plus and an average with no real huge flaws as a 19 year old. Matzek = 2 plus, one above average and one average as an 18 year old.

You make the call.

The only thing that is going for him to be taken high in the first round in this draft is that he projects to stay at SS and he had a very good summer last year with a wood bat. Some say he's had a bout of "draftitis." Do we want a SS at 1:5 who doesn't handle pressure well? I think we'd be better served with this pick to go for Matzek or Wheeler, and look for a SS in rounds 2-4 as several seem to be in that range.

If we were picking in the middle of the round, then I'd be a lot more comfortable taking him, but not at #1:5 when there are several good arms available at that slot. We have to resist the temptation to pick for need.

As far as White, I watched him a few days ago in the super-regional and I have to say that I wasn't very impressed. He had decent numbers, but his command was not very good with the fastball, much less anything offspeed.

Archived