A year ago, the O's were 43-40 after 83 games

Frobby

Well, it's true. They brought MacPhail in to rebuild, and he just finished up 2 full years on the job. Rebuilding takes time. The last time they really tried to rebuild, Thrift was at the helm. It didn't work out. It's too early to say that this round will/won't work out.

Yeah, it's frustrating. But I can't say I'm not surprised they O's aren't contending. It's part of the plan.

No crap they aren't contending. But where is the improvement in the W/L record? What if Markakis and Jones aren't as good as we thought? What if Roberts is sick of losing and wants out? What will all of this do to Chuck Norri--- I mean Wieters?

GAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The hitting, baserunning and fielding has not been in line with my expectations. I'm not saying we'd have a winning record if those things were at the level I expected, but we'd have a significantly better record than we do now, despite the lousy pitching.

How many more games would we have won? I really don't think you can say that if this particular catch had been made or that particular baserunner hadn't been caught of base that we would have won that game. At best, I think we'd have won a couple more.

The fact is that our three best hitters (1,2,3 in the lineup) have stunk for more than a month and our "Ace" pitcher hasn't been very good all season. Like you, I'm totally underwhelmed by this team's performance and it's the veterans who we reasonably expected to player better than they have that have frustrated me most.

Blah blah blah, were on the right path, blah blah blah, things take time.

Yes and this time it will literally come true.

If you guys can't see that this organization is in a much better place than it was 3 years ago, then I'm not sure what to say to you.

It's obviously not good enough at the major league level. That I agree with.

At some point, I have to look at the big picture a little bit, but if it fits your agenda or if it makes you feel better to jump up and down and stomp your feet, go nuts.

For the moment, I have to agree with bigbird. I expected to see progress in the W/L record this year. So far, we definitely are not seeing it.

Yikes, not what I expected from you on this. Do you honestly not see the progress this orgainzation has made? Are you really judging by wins and losess THIS year? Oh goodness, have you become a reactionary fan? :confused:

Well, it's true. They brought MacPhail in to rebuild, and he just finished up 2 full years on the job. Rebuilding takes time. The last time they really tried to rebuild, Thrift was at the helm. It didn't work out. It's too early to say that this round will/won't work out.

Yeah, it's frustrating. But I can't say I'm not surprised they O's aren't contending. It's part of the plan.

I didn't think they would contend this year, but I also didn't think they would play such uninspired baseball either. Or have as many fundamental lapses that we have seen.

But it's time to see some improvement in the STANDINGS. .

Next year is the time to see improvement in the standings. When AM took over, word is he finally convinced PA that the team couldn't compete until 2010 at the earliest. I've been saying for the last 2 years, if we don't see some real, tangible, legitimate improvements next year, I'll start to question MacPhail. But I don't give a rats behind what our record is right now or even what it will be for the rest of the year.

Bottom line is that MacPhail's rebuild isn't taking any longer than a standard rebuild. But because we had almost a decade of ineptitude before him, it seems like much longer.

If you guys can't see that this organization is in a much better place than it was 3 years ago, then I'm not sure what to say to you.

At some point, I have to look at the big picture a little bit, but if it fits your agenda or if it makes you feel better to jump up and down and stomp your feet, go nuts.

I'm glad to see you post as often as you do. There are so many irrational and doomsday posters that this place is sometimes unbearable. Anyway, thanks for adding a little logic and rational thought to this place.

Yikes, not what I expected from you on this. Do you honestly not see the progress this orgainzation has made? Are you really judging by wins and losess THIS year? Oh goodness, have you become a reactionary fan? :confused:

In a way, this is way too funny Tony.

Next year is the time to see improvement in the standings. When AM took over, word is he finally convinced PA that the team couldn't compete until 2010 at the earliest. I've been saying for the last 2 years, if we don't see some real, tangible, legitimate improvements next year, I'll start to question MacPhail. But I don't give a rats behind what our record is right now or even what it will be for the rest of the year.

Bottom line is that MacPhail's rebuild isn't taking any longer than a standard rebuild. But because we had almost a decade of ineptitude before him, it seems like much longer.

I can live with that. And there is some time for improvement this year.

I just dont think we'll be seeing any.

For those eternal optimists, the Rays were 61-101 the year before they won the East.

Wasn't that the biggest improvement for a team in the history of modern baseball?

There was also a reason for that...the Rays system was loaded with prospects, both hitting and pitching. So far, we've got a handful of good pitching prospects close to the majors, but beyond Brandon Snyder, a middling hitting prospect, there is NOTHING on the horizon by way of hitting.

It is amazing how many normally sane people are jumping off the ship because of the win-loss record of this team. MacPhail has said 2011 all along. Rebuilding is painul if done correctly and we are experiencing the pain right now.

However, I see Bergesen, Reimold, Wieters getting their feet wet with some success and I see Jones becoming an All-Star. I see Hernandez and Berken show they should have some role on a big league staff and I see Matusz, Arrieta and Tillman all having great years in the minors.

I see the next wave of arms doing well down on the farm and I see Brandon Synder showing he should be a force to be reckoned with shortly.

I see an over seas scouting bureau tapping into the Japanese market and I hear the Orioles are contenders for a top Dominican talent.

I see upgrades to Mora and possibly Huff next season and I see a rotation that will include Matusz, Tillman, Arrieta, Bergesen and possibly Britton or Patton or Hernandez or possibly Hobgood one day.

Yes my friends, we are on the right path even if that pass has to take us deeper into the abyss in the near future.

For the moment, I have to agree with bigbird. I expected to see progress in the W/L record this year. So far, we definitely are not seeing it.

After starting out at 43-40, the O's then went 25-53 (.321%).

They're now at 36-47 (.434%). So there you go, progress.

Archived