July 20th: Orioles vs. Yankees

Conway12

I've read through several pages of this thread and couldn't find a description of the boneheaded base running plays in the 8th inning. Would someone please provide a quick synopsis? Thanks.

The first one... Izturis was running and B-Rob hit one the opposite way that hit the wall. Izturis didn't know where the ball was... slid into 2nd... then got up and started to run back to first before he saw B-Rob and realized it was in play... he turned and scampered to third. He should've scored from 1st, but didn't because he didn't know where the ball was and didn't watch Samuel.

The second was Izturis running on a bouncer to first. T-Bag gunned home and got him.

The third play was a wild pitch with B-Rob at third. B-Rob ran, and tried a head first slide and was out. Many think he should've slid feet first and hit the pitcher hard since he was at a weird angle.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've read through several pages of this thread and couldn't find a description of the boneheaded base running plays in the 8th inning. Would someone please provide a quick synopsis? Thanks.

Me, too. Can't figure out what the play was that Roberts got out on, or what he went on.

I think BRob must have hesitated on that wild pitch. It seemed to take him a long time to get home.

I've watched too much baseball to think we can win after all these mistakes. I look forward to Thorne saying how well-played the game was in the postgame.

The first one... Izturis was running and B-Rob hit one the opposite way that hit the wall. Izturis didn't know where the ball was... slid into 2nd... then got up and started to run back to first before he saw B-Rob and realized it was in play... he turned and scampered to third. He should've scored from 1st, but didn't because he didn't know where the ball was and didn't watch Samuel.

The second was Izturis running on a bouncer to first. T-Bag gunned home and got him.

The third play was a wild pitch with B-Rob at third. B-Rob ran, and tried a head first slide and was out. Many think he should've slid feet first and hit the pitcher hard since he was at a weird angle.

Oh for crying out loud--thanks for patiently describing the travesty.

Me, too. Can't figure out what the play was that Roberts got out on, or what he went on.

He went on a ball in the dirt that bounced away from the catcher. Hesitated for just a sec and it cost him. And he should have knocked the pitchers on his butt.

Itzuris took off on a hit and run, didn't look for the ball, slid into second while the ball was bouncing off the fence in right. Should have scored easy. And there were others.

He got deked and it was a mistake, but the other two were IMO not bonehead plays. Both were the right play. On Nick's grrounder the runner is going on contact and either way there is a runner on third with 2 outs. You have to try there. The second was a judgment call and Molina and Coke made the play. Neither was a bonehead play.

Archived