How can you guys not be talking more about Sano?

Mashed Potatoes

I hope nobody is getting his hope up that we actually will sign Sano. Let's be honest the chance that the Orioles land him are very very slim, just like with Tex in the offseason.

No, there's a big difference in shelling out 25 million for 8 years and giving a kid 5 million or so.

I like our chances to sign Sano a lot better than we ever had to sign Tex. I said from day 1 that Tex had no shot of coming here and I was right.

Sano is different.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From my point of view, I do not mind dishing out 5 million maybe 6 million if possible for this kid. Look at our salary history, look who we have spent over 4 million on the past 3 years. here's a list

Javy Lopez 9,000,000

Kris Benson 8,333,333

Russ Ortiz 7,875,000

LaTroy Hawkins 4,400,000

Jay Gibbons 4,200,000

Ramon Hernandez 4,000,000

2007:

Jaret Wright 7,000,000

Ramon Hernandez 6,500,000

Danys Baez 5,666,667

Jay Gibbons 5,000,000

Jay Payton 4,500,000

Corey Patterson 4,300,000

2008:

Ramon Hernandez 7,500,000

Jay Payton 5,000,000

Jamie Walker 4,500,000

baseball cube provided salaries

We have cut down on the bad signings which is great. We have the money to spend on the guy, and we should. Grow the arms and buy the bats. Time to buy a bat.

I will agree with LJ in that just because we've blown money in the past, doesn't meant hat we should use that as an excuse to throw away money now. Something Trea doesn't seem to realize is that just because you have money doesn't mean it needs to be spent. When a mother gives her 5-year-old a $5 bill to go get ice cream and he spends $2 on something he really wants, she shouldn't get upset at him for not getting double fudge dip and sprinkles and marshmallow topping (even though that sounds good). The kid got what he wanted, what he thought would be best.

Just because it's more money doesn't mean it's better. I think of anything, the above post with the $ figures of what we have spent shows that.

Why? As your screen name indicates, pitching wins championships. Nick, AJ, Wieters, Reimold, BRob, and maybe Snyder and Scott make a very solid core lineup to work around going forward. If the big 3 all pan out, we want them anchoring the rotation, not trading them away for another bat. I can't think of a good reason to trade our young pitchers away now. We don't need stud hitters all the way around the diamond - with the guys we already have, all we need is adaquate fill-ins from FA to play 3B and SS.

I wasn't talking about about trades. Rather, FA, If Hobgood, spends 3 1/2 years in the minors and comes up and gets a few years of seasoning in the majors, then when the other guys are up for FA and we won't be able to keep all three money wise, we have someone to help replace.

So as not to derail..

I'm ok with signing or not signing Sano. I think depending on how the workout went, we will or won't spend. After looking at the money we spent in the past (ugh ) on busts. I feel we will do everything in out power to bring home real difference makers, but even if we sign Sano, at the best scenario he is coming in while some of our hitters are in twilight. So if you asked would I spend 6 million on him, and not be able to get JJ Hardy, no. If we do in fact sign him, I think it would be a major promise to the fans that we are going to try and compete down the road, but this doesn't mean I think we spend 8 million on him. I also don't know how all this works to be honest with you. Do we do it in payment plans? Is that just a signing bonus? Will it be a major league gurantee?

I hope nobody is getting his hope up that we actually will sign Sano. Let's be honest the chance that the Orioles land him are very very slim, just like with Tex in the offseason.

Theres a very big difference between this and the Tex signing. Signing Sano is something MacPhail said he was going to do, begin the journey into international free agency and acquiring talent through this rescource. It makes sense and follows along the master plan MacPhail unveiled to us a couple years ago. Signing this kid makes sense.....

Tex didnt make sense to sign before the 2009 season. His bat wasnt going to make us overnight contenders. MacPhail did say we will grow the pitching and buy the bats, but we arent gonna buy bats and spend major money on that before the pitching is grown. When we are a step away from contention, AM will buy a bat.

I will agree with LJ in that just because we've blown money in the past, doesn't meant hat we should use that as an excuse to throw away money now. Something Trea doesn't seem to realize is that just because you have money doesn't mean it needs to be spent. When a mother gives her 5-year-old a $5 bill to go get ice cream and he spends $2 on something he really wants, she shouldn't get upset at him for not getting double fudge dip and sprinkles and marshmallow topping (even though that sounds good). The kid got what he wanted, what he thought would be best.

Just because it's more money doesn't mean it's better. I think of anything, the above post with the $ figures of what we have spent shows that.

Would you rather see money spent to improve the Orioles then to go to Peter Angelos and his partners? If we don't spend it on the ballclub, that's where that revenue goes.

Let me ask you, why do you want to see the Orioles save money? What do you think they are going to spend the saved money on?

Would you rather see money spent to improve the Orioles then to go to Peter Angelos and his partners? If we don't spend it on the ballclub, that's where that revenue goes.

To be clear, you're saying that if we don't spend the money now we'll never spend it on anything?

To be clear, you're saying that if we don't spend the money now we'll never spend it on anything?

See that previous post. What do you want to save it for?

An extra million or two spent to acquire a player like Sano isn't going to stop the Orioles from doing anything IMO.

See that previous post. What do you want to save it for?

An extra million or two spent to acquire a player like Sano isn't going to stop the Orioles from doing anything IMO.

You save it to use later when you need extra or opportunity arises.

It's like saying I want a Mercedes, and I was willing to pay $60K but they asked $75K, and when I chose not to pay it assuming I'd take it with me to the grave. It's simply not the case.

You save it to use later when you need extra or opportunity arises.

It's like saying I want a Mercedes, and I was willing to pay $60K but they asked $75K, and when I chose not to pay it assuming I'd take it with me to the grave. It's simply not the case.

This is a good opportunity. Sano is one of the best Dominican prospects in the last 20 years supposedly. This is when you go "all in," because opportunites to sign players like Sano don't come around that often. From all accounts he is a special player and worth the financial risk and investment it will take to sign him.

This is a good opportunity. Sano is one of the best Dominican prospects in the last 20 years supposedly. This is when you go "all in," because opportunites to sign players like Sano don't come around that often. From all accounts he is a special player and worth the financial risk and investment it will take to sign him.

This is where we trust the evaluation abilities of an entire professional baseball franchise over yours.

This is where we trust the evaluation abilities of an entire professional baseball franchise over yours.

And you have every right to do so. But the Orioles FO isn't always right just because they are baseball professionals.

From my point of view, I do not mind dishing out 5 million maybe 6 million if possible for this kid. Look at our salary history, look who we have spent over 4 million on the past 3 years. here's a list

Javy Lopez 9,000,000

Kris Benson 8,333,333

Russ Ortiz 7,875,000

LaTroy Hawkins 4,400,000

Jay Gibbons 4,200,000

Ramon Hernandez 4,000,000

2007:

Jaret Wright 7,000,000

Ramon Hernandez 6,500,000

Danys Baez 5,666,667

Jay Gibbons 5,000,000

Jay Payton 4,500,000

Corey Patterson 4,300,000

2008:

Ramon Hernandez 7,500,000

Jay Payton 5,000,000

Jamie Walker 4,500,000

baseball cube provided salaries

We have cut down on the bad signings which is great. We have the money to spend on the guy, and we should. Grow the arms and buy the bats. Time to buy a bat.

FWIW - Russ Ortiz salary with the Orioles was a prorated ML minimum ($326k) as he was released by the DBacks and they paid the rest of his $7m salary. Jaret Wright was paid $3m by the Orioles in 2007, with the Yankees picking up the rest of his $7m salary.

Archived