Bell hits first HR for Bowie

Big Mac

He will face a lefty again tonight as Portland LHP Felix Doubront goes against the Baysox.

Both of Bell's hits last night were well struck. It has a different sound coming off his bat, unlike anyone else who has played there this season.

That includes their former first baseman.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This stat amazes me and supports Crstoner's argument for making him a lefty all of the time.

By having him hit as a righty it saps power and average and RBI's from him. If he were always hitting as a lefty, youd have to think that he would hit more HRs and a better AVG

This stat amazes me and supports Crstoner's argument for making him a lefty all of the time.

I agree that his splits are incredible, but we still don't know if he would do just as poorly against left handed pitching from the left side. He may just not be able to hit left handed pitching at all, which would be a major concern. I wasn't a switch hitter, so I have no first hand experience, but would it be a more difficult transition for him to have to start looking at left handed pitching as a left handed hitter?

I agree that his splits are incredible, but we still don't know if he would do just as poorly against left handed pitching from the left side. He may just not be able to hit left handed pitching at all, which would be a major concern. I wasn't a switch hitter, so I have no first hand experience, but would it be a more difficult transition for him to have to start looking at left handed pitching as a left handed hitter?

Yeah, I'm still open to the switch hitting idea. In fact, I disagreed with most of the points in this thread saying he should go all lefty. However, that stat made me look in the mirror a bit.

Just as an FYI, in his chat earlier today Keith Law mentioned that he liked Bell better than Snyder. Considering how highly many of us view Snyder, that's encouraging to see.

Dan (Tampa)

Better prospect Josh Bell or Brandon Snyder?

Keith Law (3:16 PM)

Bell.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/27835/mlb-insider-keith-law

I like Snyder but this is a no brainer to me.

Bell has more power, better plate discipline and plays a more premium position...He is also a switch hitter...Whether that ends up being a plus or minus is yet to be seen of course.

I like Snyder but this is a no brainer to me.

Bell has more power, better plate discipline and plays a more premium position...He is also a switch hitter...Whether that ends up being a plus or minus is yet to be seen of course.

I like having both these guys in the system, but I think just on the plate discipline part (which should translate well as he moves up), that Bell and Snyder really aren't even that close. You also need to throw defense into that mix.

Yeah, that was my thought too. Just one game, though. Let's see if it becomes a trend.

.533 OBP when there are no runnners on base, Bell having an 1.359 ops when no one is on base is much more dangerous with a single swing than the guy behind him. I expect the walk numbers only to go up as pitchers will continue to start pitching around him. Very small sample size so far, but I expect the walks to continue.

Archived