Impossible task...Rank our prospects

LookinUp

Well, my biggest problem with right now aside from the sudden love of Coffey is that most of these HS and JuCo kids have a very similar ceiling as it stands, and until all of them ebgint o compete in the pros, its IMO impossible to decide who should be ranked higher. For instance, IMO Henry, Tolliver, Cowan, Martin, Coffey and Hobgood all have a very similar ceiling as it stands, they all have very good fastballs and atleast 1 other good pitch. The fact that Coffey is being rated that much higher than the rest to me is evidence of the helium.....

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, my biggest problem with right now aside from the sudden love of Coffey is that most of these HS and JuCo kids have a very similar ceiling as it stands, and until all of them ebgint o compete in the pros, its IMO impossible to decide who should be ranked higher. For instance, IMO Henry, Tolliver, Cowan, Martin, Coffey and Hobgood all have a very similar ceiling as it stands, they all have very good fastballs and atleast 1 other good pitch. The fact that Coffey is being rated that much higher than the rest to me is evidence of the helium.....

Since Coffey has the recent injury history, I feel he would get the bump like Spoone and Patton this year. Where he falls, I do not know, but the money was higher for him than Henry, Tolliver, Cowan and Martin. On an early list I would have him higher than those guys (based on my completely uninformed opinion).

Since Coffey has the recent injury history, I feel he would get the bump like Spoone and Patton this year. Where he falls, I do not know, but the money was higher for him than Henry, Tolliver, Cowan and Martin. On an early list I would have him higher than those guys (based on my completely uninformed opinion).

Well, Henry and Coffey are in a similar boat. They both had TJ surgery, one had it this season, the other had it last season. They both have very good fastballs, but Coffey has more projection left though Henry is said to have 3 very good pitches while Coffey apparently only has 2 very good pitches. I rank Henry ahead only because he has less of a ways to go to reach his ceiling (has a very good 3rd pitch).

1. Bell

2. Arrieta

3. Snyder

4. Britton

5. Hobgood

6. Erbe

7. Spoone

8. Avery

9. Mickolio

10. Turner

11. Florimon

12. Waring

13. Johnson

14. Henson

15. Welty

16. Givens

17. Ohlman

18. Hughes

19. Lebron

20. Coffey

21. Bundy

22. Patton

23. Jacobson

24. Cooney

25. Rosa

26. Drake

27. Townsend

28. Cowan

29. Wirsch

30. Hoes

Good list.

Why do you have Florimon at 11th? The highest I would have him is 15-20, if not lower.

I would also have Jacobsen ranked higher, probably 11-15 because of his power back-end ability.

I almost forgot about Rosa until you brought him up.

Do you not think Tanaka can be helpful in the majors in a few seasons?

1. Bell

2. Arrieta

3. Snyder

4. Britton

5. Hobgood

6. Erbe

7. Spoone

8. Avery

9. Mickolio

10. Turner

11. Florimon

12. Waring

13. Johnson

14. Henson

15. Hughes

16. Welty

17. Ohlman

18. Hughes

19. Lebron

20. Patton

21. Bundy

22. Givens

23. Jacobson

24. Cooney

25. Rosa

26. Coffey

27. Townsend

28. Drake

29. Wirsch

30. Cowan

Joseph?

He's got to be in there somewhere.

No list is going to be perfect. I'm already second guessing myself on some of my selections. I like Henson but if he can't play 3B maybe I have him too high. I thought about Tanaka. I could see him on this list. I just don't see him as anything more than an Albers or Bass type, 11th or 12 pitcher ont he team kind of guy. I could be wrong. Jacobson doesn't have the power numbers (K's) that suggest anything special at this point. Despite probably being more polished and a better bet to make the majors, I'd rank a Lebron (did I even rank Lebron over Jacobson?) higher based on a higher ceiling. Rosa is a longshot because of horrible plate discipline but 5 homers at Aberdeen for a SS is impressive and he's only 19. Serious flaws in his hitting mechanics (mentioned by his own manager) but hopefully he can iron them out. As for Florimon, he really cooled off after the first two months but I'm not forgetting those first two months. He's shown some power this year and the O's seem to like him and Tony was impressed when he saw him as well, PLUS he's a true SS. I was going to drop Avery down a little lower after Doc's reports on his defense but he's another guy who looked great for awhile and I believe has got some really good overall offensive potential. I didn't rank guys like Hudson and Angle because of virtually zero power potential. Angle could make it to the majors but I can't ever see him starting at that level so I didn't rank him but I could see him in the 20 range on someone elses list.

I understand making these lists is ridiculously hard. I think getting all the names down that could be under consideration would be hard enough.

After working on the prospect tracker tonight, I have to put Frabizio in my 10-15 because of his 55:12 K:BB rate.

This is probably the hardest it has ever been to make the list.

Oops! See I kept editing and flip flopping names and that was bound to happen. I would have Joseph in my top 10, right around 8-10.

Beal as well.

It's amazing how many freaking names we have with some potential. I understand that we don't know much at all about the draftees, but it's still incredibly deep, particularly in comparison to the previous few years.

Arrieta, Bell, and Snyder are 1-2-3 in some order. Bell or Arrieta is #1. I'd put Britton fourth, and honestly maybe Caleb Joseph fifth. A lot of these guys haven't proven NEARLY as much as Joseph, especially some of these young pitchers or guys with injury concern (Erbe, Spoone).

I don't even want to insert guys like Mickolio. I mean, he's GOING to be in the majors next year, and we have a pretty good idea of how good he'll be. Can you really call a player like that a "prospect", even without a rookie season?

I'm pretty high on Turner, personally. We should move Roberts or Turner, because we're going to be kicking ourselves if we keep Roberts and let Turner rot in the minors. I would rank Waring around 20-25. I don't have much faith in him. I would put Jacobsen around 15-ish.

Arrieta, Bell, and Snyder are 1-2-3 in some order. Bell or Arrieta is #1. I'd put Britton fourth, and honestly maybe Caleb Joseph fifth. A lot of these guys haven't proven NEARLY as much as Joseph, especially some of these young pitchers or guys with injury concern (Erbe, Spoone).

Based on Tony's reports, Britton should be ahead of Arrieta. I think Bell or Snyder will be our #1 prospect now, with the other 2nd, followed by Britton at 3rd and Arrieta at 4th.

I don't even want to insert guys like Mickolio. I mean, he's GOING to be in the majors next year, and we have a pretty good idea of how good he'll be. Can you really call a player like that a "prospect", even without a rookie season?

That is the whole point of a prospect list.

I'm pretty high on Turner, personally. We should move Roberts or Turner, because we're going to be kicking ourselves if we keep Roberts and let Turner rot in the minors. I would rank Waring around 20-25. I don't have much faith in him. I would put Jacobsen around 15-ish.

Turner will not rot in the minors. MacPhail will find a way to get him in the majors.

Based on Tony's reports, Britton should be ahead of Arrieta. I think Bell or Snyder will be our #1 prospect now, with the other 2nd, followed by Britton at 3rd and Arrieta at 4th.

That is the whole point of a prospect list.

Turner will not rot in the minors. MacPhail will find a way to get him in the majors.

Tony is really that hard on Arrieta?

Hmmm. I don't see it.

Britton and Arrieta should come in as B+ guys. Bell is fringe between B and B+. Snyder has upped his stock to a B. He is young, but he has some power issues as a first baseman.

Tony is really that hard on Arrieta?

Hmmm. I don't see it.

Britton and Arrieta should come in as B+ guys. Bell is fringe between B and B+. Snyder has upped his stock to a B. He is young, but he has some power issues as a first baseman.

It isn't that Tony is hard on Arrieta. It is more that Britton just looks better than Arrieta now.

1. Bell

2. Arrieta

3. Snyder

4. Britton

5. Hobgood

6. Erbe

7. Spoone

8. Avery

9. Mickolio

10. Turner

11. Florimon

12. Waring

13. Johnson

14. Henson

15. Hughes

16. Welty

17. Ohlman

18. Hughes

19. Lebron

20. Patton

21. Bundy

22. Givens

23. Jacobson

24. Cooney

25. Rosa

26. Coffey

27. Townsend

28. Drake

29. Wirsch

30. Cowan

I mean Rowell is having a tough season, and I'm as disapointed as anyone, but he's still gotta be in the top 30, no?

1 Bell

2 Britton

3 Snyder

4 Arrieta

5 Erbe

6 Hobgood

7 Joseph

8 Hughes

9 Johnson

10 Welty

11 Waring

12 Turner