Impossible task...Rank our prospects

LookinUp

Please tell me these guys are serious scouts. If Beal throws 92-95 right now, then he'll be a top 5 prospect in the Appalachian league, if not the #1 overall prospect. These aren't three bloggers talking to each other on a website like we are, is it?

Well, considering all the HS and JuCo kids who are at this rookie level this season, hes not the only one throwing 92-95. But he may end up being a top 5 prospect in the league I guess we will see, but in all honesty, I do not believe thats the same article I was speaking of, so thats multiple accounts of the same scouting report, but dismiss it if it makes you feel better, go ahead....

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Bell's power numbers have been held down all season by the Southern League's big ballparks. I don't think he's going to continue hitting .400, but I think the power surge we're seeing from him since the trade is for real--he definitely has middle-of-the-order potential, which for me makes him number one.

Until Bell can hit LHP, he has a very big issue to fix. There are a lot more LHP in the majors.

Right. Hey, if I see a first hand acount from you or whoever who says he was throwing 92-95, I'm likely to believe it. I just want something a little more substantiated than I've seen. The numbers 92-95 are being thrown around like just everyone coming out of high school and college throws that. That's the kind of velocity that would make an 18-19 pitcher a hot topic. No?

Another reason the OH rocks. Tony's write-ups during the prospect list will be better informed because most of it is first-hand and/or the result of discussions with O's coaches/brass.

Hm, so I guess i was under exaggerating, 92-95 with pin point control and 2 good secondary pitches. And as I said, thats up from 88 MPH his senior year in HS. So why is comparing him to Tillman such a hard thing to fathom? I mean shoot when Tillman was age 18, he was in the same boat as Beal its not Tillman was always the top RHSP prospect in the game.
To be completely honest, although this looks like a fantastic pick up based on this pitcher's claims, I'm not particularly thrilled to have Beal as a part of the organization. I played against Beal in high school for two years. Although his 6 6 billing is correct, his low 90s fastball isnt. Beal tops out in the high 80s but sits in the mid 80s but I guess coach size. Good work O's scouting department.

This is from his draft thread last year. The site I linked to above was the only one I could find that said he threw that hard.

Right. Hey, if I see a first hand acount from you or whoever who says he was throwing 92-95, I'm likely to believe it. I just want something a little more substantiated than I've seen. The numbers 92-95 are being thrown around like just everyone coming out of high school and college throws that. That's the kind of velocity that would make an 18-19 pitcher a hot topic. No?

That kind of velocity makes a pitcher a prospect at this age. Bundy throws that hard and isnt a well known uberprospect, so just because Beal isnt a hugely known prospect doesnt mean anything at all IMO. Kids at this age get next to no publicity unless they have a really good pedigree, and even then, the kids dont get much notice. But when Tony does do his annual prospect lists, we will then find out for ourselves off of 1st hand knowledge where Beal is sitting and topping out at....

Sounds good to me. So maybe we shouldn't say he's pitching at 92-95 unless we have a really good substantiated report on it, right?

Im not gonna say that, we are all entitled to our own opinions, as you are about your guy Florimon and others are on him as well. Same thing with Beal. I have heard on 2 differing occasions that Beal is throwing 92-93, I dont know about up to 95, I never saw that report right there, what I saw was from BA. The basis of what was said by BA was that he "continues to add arm strength". But I am gonna stick to what I had read, I dont know if he is throwing 95, but 92-93 I feel confident enough in to believe in especially since its BA saying it an not a kid who apparently is 16.

Im not gonna say that, we are all entitled to our own opinions, as you are about your guy Florimon and others are on him as well. Same thing with Beal. I have heard on 2 differing occasions that Beal is throwing 92-93, I dont know about up to 95, I never saw that report right there, what I saw was from BA. The basis of what was said by BA was that he "continues to add arm strength". But I am gonna stick to what I had read, I dont know if he is throwing 95, but 92-93 I feel confident enough in to believe in especially since its BA saying it an not a kid who apparently is 16.

Could you bring your sources up regarding him throwing 92 because I was unable to find anything.

Could you bring your sources up regarding him throwing 92 because I was unable to find anything.

I searched fairly extensively and couldnt find anything. I thought it was in the draft forum around draft day. It was one of the live conversations, not necessarily with Callis, but one of those BA "experts".

For some reason, when I go to advanced search, whether I put in the last 3 months 6 months or year, it only goes back 1 month.... its not allowing me to go back far enough....

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71347

This isnt the article I was talking about, but tis straight from Tony, and its during instructional league saying he was sitting 89-91. I dont think its a long shot to think a projectable kid 4-5 months later is throwing 92-93. AND if he was sitting 89-91, then guess what he was probably topping out at? And as I said, this was during instructional league, and as quickly as he has been adding strength, its really pretty easy to fathom IMO.

Eh, it's a lot different to say it he could be throwing 92-93 and that he is throwing 92-93. We don't know. You don't know, but you said he was throwing 92-93.

Yes I did say he was throwing 92-93, do you think its out of the realm of possibility that in 5 months he continued to gain more velocity? He finished last year throwing 88 tops. Came back this season in instructional league sitting 89-91. As I said this is not the article that I was talking about, but here is what Tony said from instuctional league a while ago. I read an article saying he threw 92-93, but it wasnt from Tony, it was from BA, its 2 different sources, and BA officially said that he IS throwing 92-93 and gaining more MPH....But It doesnt matter what evidence I throw at you, you disregard it....

Well, if it came from a BA article around the draft, then I guess it should be easy to find. I'd be elated if he's throwing 92-93. I don't disregard evidence. I just haven't seen any to regard or disregard. I still stand by this. If he's throwing 92-93 consistently, and he's got a plus curve (as you have also asserted) then I'd expect more dominant numbers from him at this level. A 92-93 fastball with a plus curve would be plus stuff especially at this level. I'd expect at least a K an inning with that kind of stuff. Whatever. His numbers are good, just not the kind that jump out at you. Maybe his stuff is better than his numbers show.

What do you think Bundy throws? He has a mid 90 fastball, and atleast a plus curve. Velocity and plus pitches arent everything. Other things factor into how hittable a pitcher is. Maybe he doesnt hide the ball well, or has easy to pick up release points or good location but shoddy command inside the zone, just because the K's arent at 9/9IP doesnt mean he doesnt throw XX MPH or have XX plus pitches.....

Its kind of sad that Bell may be our #1 prospect right now and he was ranked #8 in the Dodgers' system. :(

And our farm system is supposed to be this organization's strength. I know we have a lot of talent that has recently graduated the list but theDodgers have a lot of young MLB talent as well.

Its kind of sad that Bell may be our #1 prospect right now and he was ranked #8 in the Dodgers' system. :(

And our farm system is supposed to be this organization's strength. I know we have a lot of talent that has recently graduated the list but theDodgers have a lot of young MLB talent as well.

This was a preseason evaluation. Lots of publications have Bell moving on up to the East Side. He finally might get to play with the PIIIIIE. :wedge:

Bell was ranked #8 when he was coming out of Single-A, had weight issues, and defensive issues. He is currently one of the best players in Double-A, took care of his weight issues, and was voted my managers as the best defensive 3B in the Southern League. Without knowing the Dodgers system, he would land #1-3 this coming off-season. Also mind you, we graduated our Top 3 (Wieters, Matusz, and Tillman).

Well, if it came from a BA article around the draft, then I guess it should be easy to find. I'd be elated if he's throwing 92-93. I don't disregard evidence. I just haven't seen any to regard or disregard. I still stand by this. If he's throwing 92-93 consistently, and he's got a plus curve (as you have also asserted) then I'd expect more dominant numbers from him at this level. A 92-93 fastball with a plus curve would be plus stuff especially at this level. I'd expect at least a K an inning with that kind of stuff. Whatever. His numbers are good, just not the kind that jump out at you. Maybe his stuff is better than his numbers show.

I went to Danville to watch Bluefield last month hoping to see Hobgood throw a bullpen session and instead saw Beal pitch.(Hobgood looked good holding a clipboard) I am not claiming to be a scout, just a fan. Beal was hitting 88-89 on the radar gun that the scouts(?) were holding up in the stands behind homeplate. I really liked how he mixed up his pitches and he really projected confidence on the mound. His delivery is unusual and seems to be all arms and legs -maybe his ball is hard to pick up. I know it is rookie ball, but the Danville players looked stupid on alot of their swings.

Archived