Number Four Prospect: 3B - Josh Bell

Tony-OH

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am somewhat suprised he is at #4... I am guessing Tony-OH is somewhat down on him though it seems to me that we knew all along that 2010 was a AAA assignment for Bell with a shot at being called to the majors late.

It's easy to forget he wasn't in the Orioles organization for long in 09 and that his ceiling hasn't dropped any. Personally I thought he was #3. As for switch hitting... isn't that a career long adjustment from start to finish even for the greatest switch hitters?

I am gonna watch, wait and see. He still figures to be an important part of the puzzle.

According to you, someone is always down on someone. These are all relatively objective analysis.

I think this has been discussed before to some extent. But why don't they have Bell bat righty-say-half the time in AZ so he can work on his stroke and develop power? I don't think it's so important to roll up big numbers out there.

I know it could mess him up somewhat by his having to face righty pitching from the right side of the plate. But it seems as weak as his righty stroke is right now, they don't have that much to lose.He needs reps and there aren't enough LHs to give him the number he needs.

Tony in particular-any thoughts?

It is interesting to look at Bell's splits over the years from the right side:

2005: .500/.560/.727 (22 AB)

2006: .240/.296/.540 (50 AB)

2007: .246/.313/.347 (118 AB)

2008: .262/.415/.333 (42 AB)

2009: .198/.280/.267 (131 AB)

In 2007 and 2009, his GB% as a RH batter was over 60%. His K rate has been very high as a RH batter. I think it is highly doubtful he's able to remain a switch hitter.

I am somewhat suprised he is at #4... I am guessing Tony-OH is somewhat down on him though it seems to me that we knew all along that 2010 was a AAA assignment for Bell with a shot at being called to the majors late.

It's easy to forget he wasn't in the Orioles organization for long in 09 and that his ceiling hasn't dropped any. Personally I thought he was #3. As for switch hitting... isn't that a career long adjustment from start to finish even for the greatest switch hitters?

I am gonna watch, wait and see. He still figures to be an important part of the puzzle.

I'm not sure how naming him the system's # four prospect is down on him. I think very highly of him actually.

Are you sure that he started hitting lefty? That would be unusual for a RH thrower, though not unique in my experience.

It would be pretty shocking if he started righty and then quickly became far superior lefty after deciding to switch-hit. I don't think it's that odd to B/T - L/R. Some kids do it naturally, and if it's a baseball family at all it certainly isn't uncommon for a Dad to teach his kid to bat lefty rather than righty. Much more uncommon to see a B/T - R/L, which causes a huge loss in value due to positional limitations.

I think this has been discussed before to some extent. But why don't they have Bell bat righty-say-half the time in AZ so he can work on his stroke and develop power? I don't think it's so important to roll up big numbers out there.

I know it could mess him up somewhat by his having to face righty pitching from the right side of the plate. But it seems as weak as his righty stroke is right now, they don't have that much to lose.He needs reps and there aren't enough LHs to give him the number he needs.

Tony in particular-any thoughts?

I wouldn't do that live in games. I'm sure he's taking extra work onhis right-handed hitting before and maybe after games, but I don't think you do that during games. I agree with NCRaven though, Bell needs to want to do drop switch-hitting for it to be successful.

Yeah, the numbers are pretty dismal this year, though not in a large sample.

It's odd that Bell's "natural" side is presumably as a RH hitter, since he throws right. A few kids get started switching so early that there is no natural advantage, but most RH throwers have many more lifetime reps from the RH side.

Actually, any switch hitter starting out young will likely have a lot more reps batting from the left side, considering most pitchers are right handed. Playing from little league through high school, metro, and college, I'd guess 85 to 90% of the pitchers we faced were right-handed. May be part of the cause of him being so dominant from the left side.

So about this platoon option. At some point in 2010, what are the chances Bell is an Oriole starting at 3rd vs. RHP? Who would he platoon with?

Wigginton is the natural choice but his defense is undesirable.

Troy Glaus' has great career splits vs. LHP, but is unlikely to sign as a FA for a platoon role. However, coming off injury, it could be beneficial for him.

No to Figgins! Wigginton is far superior at the plate particularly vs. LHP. Figgins plus defense won't be worth the contract he will get.

Seems I had the same concerns about Bell. Will Bell be able to stick at third because his body type and weight issues may be forboding that he won't. Will he be more than a platoon option - his right handed stroke is significantly weaker. I think Bell should become strictly a LH hitter; but agree that he needs to want to change to make it work. So far, it doesn't appear that he does, but, of course this is just my supposition.

Also, see that Bell and Snyder profiles are close with Huff a good comp though Bell has the power edge. I still like Snyder better because there are less questions, he has a better body type and is in better shape, he is a baseball rat, loves the game a lot, works hard and has shown continued improvement in all aspects of his game. He is now a solid defender at 1B where he was below average, he is showing improved patience and he has no significant splits. FWIW, I voted for Snyder on five and Bell on four because most rate Bell higher and I thought that the Orioles and Tony would has well.

Highest ceilings so far look to be Coffey and Hobgood, two 2009 draftees. Of course, still have Matusz, Britton and Arrieta and look forward to those write-ups.

A combination of

1. A great combination of groundball//strikeout pitcher

2. Still young with room to get better.

3. Rave report from Tony.

Not to mention that he has steadily improved at every single level he has risen to. You can see his stuff is getting better as his K rate continues to climb every year. Its also said that he could add more velocity as he fills out his frame.

One thing is for sure, if Arrieta showed development the same way Britton does, hed be a surefire #1 SP....

Archived