Reds looking to dump salary to add Scutaro

Roll Tide

Why are people so in a hurry to give Tillman?

He should be only used for a TOP TIER player...Joey Votto is good, but not that good.

No one is eager to get rid of him. It is a matter of determining equal value. The Reds should equally not be eager to get rid of Votto. And, yes, Votto is pretty good and likely to stay pretty good. Tillman is likely to be very good or be a 4/5. We do not know yet.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't see the Cordero part...I'm shocked they'd want to keep him if they are on shedding salary mode.

Arrieta is a pretty darn good prospect tho....

I thought so too, usually a high salaried closer is the easiest part to trade off from the shedding team's perspective because they are easier to replace.

Rolen does have to get involved.

Mets, Giants, Mariners, maybe Dodgers, maybe Braves with creativity, maybe Toronto, Cleveland, and Nationals.

Giants don't have a need for Rolen..The Mets can't beat our prospects plus no need for Rolen..The Dodgers, again, have no need for Rolen and are havng money issues as well.

Braves need to cut salary, not add it.

Nats don't need Rolen..Clev? No chance they take on all of this salary plus they have LaPorta.

Boston is a legit worry because they have the payroll to put Rolen on the bench but they also have the Youk factor as well.

If I am the Orioles, I am all for taking on Harang and Rolen to get Rolen.

Most teams do not have the payroll room + need at those positions + good prospects to trade for that package.

Care to explain why?

They've got a 1B prospect....they need to unload salary which means it will have to come packaged with a good young player...

If not Votto, we should move on Alonso...

Because the players they want to dump still have value on their own. They don't need to give away a star who's cheap just to get rid of Scott Rolen, Arroyo or Harang. Cordero may be another story, but I don't see any way that they'd just give up Votto to get rid of that contract. It makes absolutely zero sense to do so.

If you want Votto, you better be willing to pay big in terms of trade chips.

Giants don't have a need for Rolen..The Mets can't beat our prospects plus no need for Rolen..The Dodgers, again, have no need for Rolen and are havng money issues as well.

Nats don't need Rolen..Clev? No chance they take on all of this salary plus they have LaPorta.

Boston is a legit worry because they have the payroll to put Rolen on the bench but they also have the Youk factor as well.

Most teams do not have the payroll room + need at those positions + good prospects to trade for that package.

Again . . . meant Rolen doesn't have to be involved.

Sorry for the err.

4th best OPS in baeball is "good, but not that good."? The kid is a complete and total stud who is under control for 4 more years. I can't think of a young hitter under team control for this duration who is any more valuable than Votto to be quite honest.

Just not enough of a track record yet. Last season people were ready to give Hamilton MVP votes before the season started, and look at the year he had. He's a great talent, just need to see another year or so of consistency or improvement before I'm ready to put him in that kind of elite status.

I'd love to get Votto, but any trade idea for him should be tempered by his physical issues last year. He had vertigo that kept him sidelined for a while. As a Braves fan, that *****ed (being a ***** myself) my attention, because vertigo forced the retirement of 2 ex-Braves - Mark Wohlers and Nick Esasky.

Edit, apparently, you can't say pr_ck here.

He may not have to but what becomes more important to the Reds...Getting a better prospect or 2 or saving his 11 million?

Saving that money may be huge for them.

I think what is important for them is to cut salary and remain competitive. Why else would they keep their closer?

Just not enough of a track record yet. Last season people were ready to give Hamilton MVP votes before the season started, and look at the year he had. He's a great talent, just need to see another year or so of consistency or improvement before I'm ready to put him in that kind of elite status.

1200 plate appearances at 900+ ops is a pretty good track record and his salary condition makes him very valuable.

He's done it for 2 years now...

Harang has value. You wouldn't be "taking him on."

Archived