New WNST protest planned

NewMarketSean

Here are the ratings for the Baltimore Market as of the end of August. I believe September numbers will be out today or tomorrow. Sorry about the formatting. Best I could do. Notice that WNST is tied for last. Getting a 0.5 must be like getting 200 points on the SAT just for putting you name on the form.

WJFK CBS Talk 0.6

WMMJ Radio One Urban 0.5

WNST Nasty 1570 Sports Sports 0.5

WXCY Delmarva Country 0.5

The other sports talk station in town is barely in front of WNST, despite having the resources of a corporate giant and having exclusive access to Orioles' personnel.

Sports radio is a highly-targeted audience, so comparing WNST's ratings with every other station in the market is not relevant. As long as there are enough advertisers looking to reach that market, which I imagine there are, WNST will do fine.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tony, I think what Nestor meant by that one was that Flanagan and/or Duquette claimed the organization was headed in the right direction shortly before they were "fired" by MacPhail's hiring. In other words, the front office was blowing smoke at the fans. Of course, they're always blowing smoke anyway, so it doesn't really matter. :rolleyes:
Nestors exact quote was they were "de-balled," i.e. emasculated, rendered powerless. That's not true on paper, but effectively, for example, the Wieters deal was a "Pete & Mac" show, not F&D. Again, to their fine credit, it worked. I'll repeat that the rest of that example Nestor makes no sense to me. Also, add me to the list of people who didn't think Perlozzo's exit was a colossal embarassment; his management of the bullpen was.;)

I know theres the "I'll believe when I see it" approach to this, but MacPhail has stated he wouldn't have come on board if he didn't have full autonomy. I know Angelos assisted in the negotiations for Wieters, but that could very well have been at MacPhail's request.

Or it could've been the same ol' same ol'. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me ten years running, shame on me. :P

Until MacPhail attempts to trade a "fan favorite," I have no faith that Angelos is still not pulling the strings on the puppetry of the FO. You feel differently and I've got no quibble with that.

And - this is not directly solely towards you BTW - the "grace period" for MacPhail seems to have been extended indefinitely by some people here. When he first came on board, the overwhelming sentiment was "Great! Now we can get something done." The non-waiver deadline passed with no moves made, and a few people defected to the "Well, he's only been here a month" camp. The waiver deadline passed with only Trax being traded. Now, more and more people are in the "we have to give MacPhail the off-season." And if he doesn't do sh!t this off-season -- what excuse then? "Well, he's only been here 6 months"? A few weeks turns into 6 months turns into 10 years. I've had enough excuses. It's time to start seeing some action.

But when an owner allows a team's payroll to increase by over $20M in a single offseason and commits about $70M worth of payroll to new FAs in a single offseason, its hard to blame the owner for not trying. He certainly deserves a huge amount of blame for allowing the franchise to deteriorate to its current state, but I don't really see how you can say he isn't at least trying to build a winner. I know its not the end hope, just trying to build a winner, but it seems like Nestor's "protest" is all about Angelos actively trying to keep the Orioles as losers, which is clearly not true.

And when the same said owner interferes and nixes a trade during the same off-season that he opened up the coffers -- what of that? Disregard for a moment who the principals were in that nixed trade. Angelos can't get a pat on the back for increasing the payroll without taking the shots for nixing trades. Whether the trade was a bad one or not, it should not be his call. It should be the GMs job to determine whether the trade improves the ballclub and to execute the trade. Unless the trade involves an increase in payroll, the owner should be a non-factor. And he never is.

Bottom-line, the Orioles' owner and FO personnel do not get the benefit of the doubt from me any longer.

Witchy

Or it could've been the same ol' same ol'. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me ten years running, shame on me. :P

Until MacPhail attempts to trade a "fan favorite," I have no faith that Angelos is still not pulling the strings on the puppetry of the FO. You feel differently and I've got no quibble with that.

And - this is not directly solely towards you BTW - the "grace period" for MacPhail seems to have been extended indefinitely by some people here. When he first came on board, the overwhelming sentiment was "Great! Now we can get something done." The non-waiver deadline passed with no moves made, and a few people defected to the "Well, he's only been here a month" camp. The waiver deadline passed with only Trax being traded. Now, more and more people are in the "we have to give MacPhail the off-season." And if he doesn't do sh!t this off-season -- what excuse then? "Well, he's only been here 6 months"? A few weeks turns into 6 months turns into 10 years. I've had enough excuses. It's time to start seeing some action.

And when the same said owner interferes and nixes a trade during the same off-season that he opened up the coffers -- what of that? Disregard for a moment who the principals were in that nixed trade. Angelos can't get a pat on the back for increasing the payroll without taking the shots for nixing trades. Whether the trade was a bad one or not, it should not be his call. It should be the GMs job to determine whether the trade improves the ballclub and to execute the trade. Unless the trade involves an increase in payroll, the owner should be a non-factor. And he never is.

Bottom-line, the Orioles' owner and FO personnel do not get the benefit of the doubt from me any longer.

Witchy

Testify. Can I get an "amen" from the congregation? Amen ! Can I get an "awomen" too ? (since it was Witchy's post):D

PS...can any of you actually pick up WNST? I tried listening to the Towson game Saturday and gave up because of the static. And I live in TOWSON?!?!?!?!?!

And this week's game is AT NIGHT!! We need a "Free the Tigers" rally to get them back on the campus station where they belong.

And this week's game is AT NIGHT!! We need a "Free the Tigers" rally to get them back on the campus station where they belong.

The campus station doesn't want them. The sports broadcasts are slowly going to other stations because TMD has being playing the passive aggression game with athletics broadcasts in the hopes that they'd leave on their own. It's already a disgrace that the campus station doesn't allow students on air anymore, now this. They shouldn't even be the campus station anymore, but a station that happens to be housed on campus. But that's a separate point. NST doesn't care as much about their coverage because of the internet and streaming broadcasts. It's probably a lot cheaper to increase coverage by internet streaming than to attempt to up their tower wattage.

Got a question for everyone here. What if Nestor was a die-hard O's fan? What if he talked about the Orioles has much as he talked about the Ravens? What if he was still an attention whore, the same that he is now. Would everyone still hate him as much as they do now?

Be interesting to hear what people say.

Got a question for everyone here. What if Nestor was a die-hard O's fan? What if he talked about the Orioles has much as he talked about the Ravens? What if he was still an attention whore, the same that he is now. Would everyone still hate him as much as they do now?

Be interesting to hear what people say.

Honestly? I don't really hate him. I just see him as a self promoting bastard, which isn't always a bad thing. I question his motives on this, though. Would I be questioning his motives less if he hadn't clearly made it a personal crusade a few years back? In all honesty, probably not, but that's a moot point, because he did. He'd still be a self promoting bastard. Like the frontman of a band. He's got a product to sell.

Honestly? I don't really hate him. I just see him as a self promoting bastard, which isn't always a bad thing. I question his motives on this, though. Would I be questioning his motives less if he hadn't clearly made it a personal crusade a few years back? In all honesty, probably not, but that's a moot point, because he did. He'd still be a self promoting bastard. Like the frontman of a band. He's got a product to sell.

Yeah, so? He's still a fan.

People act like Nestor is a bad guy just to get his name out there and get more listeners/money for his station. I mean the guy is a businessman, is he not? Anyway, like I said, he could do lots of other things to get his name out there.. I mean hasn't he pretty much reached market saturation in Baltimore?

People here are just funny is all I guess.

The other sports talk station in town is barely in front of WNST, despite having the resources of a corporate giant and having exclusive access to Orioles' personnel.

Sports radio is a highly-targeted audience, so comparing WNST's ratings with every other station in the market is not relevant. As long as there are enough advertisers looking to reach that market, which I imagine there are, WNST will do fine.

Highly targeted audience is another term for SMALL. Angelos was right when he said Nestor has delusions of grandeur. Nestor thinks he's some kind of king maker in Baltimore. There's barely anyone listening to that station.

And Nestor's relationship with the Ravens reminds of high school when the cool guys let the fool hang out with them, then laugh at him when he's not around.

Highly targeted audience is another term for SMALL. Angelos was right when he said Nestor has delusions of grandeur. Nestor thinks he's some kind of king maker in Baltimore. There's barely anyone listening to that station.

And Nestor's relationship with the Ravens reminds of high school when the cool guys let the fool hang out with them, then laugh at him when he's not around.

I don't think Angelos should be commenting on anyone and their "delusions". This is coming from a man who has said "things will be different next year, I promise" for 7 years.

I wish you guys could take a step back and listen to yourselves and see how foolish you look/sound. All over someone who is holding a protest because the team absolutely sucks.

Yeah, so? He's still a fan.

People act like Nestor is a bad guy just to get his name out there and get more listeners/money for his station. I mean the guy is a businessman, is he not? Anyway, like I said, he could do lots of other things to get his name out there.. I mean hasn't he pretty much reached market saturation in Baltimore?

People here are just funny is all I guess.

He doesn't seem like a fan, though. That's the problem. He's gone out of his way to piss all over the team for years, but now he's organizing protests. It doesn't wash very well, so you're bound to get very skeptical people who, while agreeing that there is something to protest, wonder about the primary motivation.

He doesn't seem like a fan, though. That's the problem. He's gone out of his way to piss all over the team for years, but now he's organizing protests. It doesn't wash very well, so you're bound to get very skeptical people who, while agreeing that there is something to protest, wonder about the primary motivation.

Do I sound like a fan sometimes? You don't get it... the O's have made long-time fans HATE this team. You may not think that can happen but it has. A LOT. I have friends who haven't watched one game since the 2005 season when they were fooled into thinking that they were good.

I bet that if the O's start winning that all these problems Nasty has with Angelos suddenly don't get as important as he makes them out to be now.

I wish you guys could take a step back and listen to yourselves and see how foolish you look/sound. All over someone who is holding a protest because the team absolutely sucks.

Heh. See, don't lump us all in here. Most of us agree that a protest is warranted. But most of us also think that while a protest is warranted, Nestor's motivations for staging one aren't completely selfless. That's all, really.

There are some people that are dismissing the protest out of spite for Nestor though, that's a bit much. It'd probably be better, for the protest itself, if Nestor disinvolved himself. But he's pretty incapable of that.

Do I sound like a fan sometimes? You don't get it... the O's have made long-time fans HATE this team. You may not think that can happen but it has. A LOT. I have friends who haven't watched one game since the 2005 season when they were fooled into thinking that they were good.

I bet that if the O's start winning that all these problems Nasty has with Angelos suddenly don't get as important as he makes them out to be now.

Somehow, I doubt that.

And to answer your question, no, no you don't. But are you the owner of a radio station organizing a protest? If you were, I'd question your motivations, too.

Archived