Komminsk on Bowie pitchers

stef

I would love to hear some opinions on Lebron. He has always had great strikeout numbers, but his walks were way, way high until last year. I saw him blow away the middle of Akron's lineup this year, and he looked great to me, but I have no expertise. What do the experts think of Lebron?

He was kinda ho-hum before about July this year. A hard thrower, just looked like another one of those fastball throwing south american arms that never really nails the control aspect. Then he learned a new pitch in mid-season and became pretty dominant. He uses 3 pitches at all counts and keeps guys totally off balance. Ready for AAA and might not need the full season before he's ready to control ML hitters.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the real story here is that folks have had concerns about Erbe's high-effort (and unorthodox) delivery for a while, so that this year's shoulder fatigue merely reinforced (or supported) those concerns.

Stuff has never really been the question - although like the vast majority of 17-18 year old draftees, his secondaries had a good bit of room for development before he could be considered a legitimate starter.

It's great that the results are what they are - a lot of us remained bullish on Erbe through his strugges two years ago, and saw a lot to be happy with re: his mediocre results last year. Now, we're hoping that he gets himself into starter shape and form. He's got the frame. Far stranger things have happened.

That's a nice way to say what I said using more words. Sounded pretty. :)

The issue with Erbe starting isn't related to stuff -- it's related to the likelihood of him holding-up over the course of a full Major League season.

Well was reading too much into Komminsk's comparisons then. The two comps he uses are both SP's, albeit unproven themselves, at the moment. Coincidentally, they are quite possibly the guys with the best stuff as well.

Well was reading too much into Komminsk's comparisons then. The two comps he uses are both SP's, albeit unproven themselves, at the moment. Coincidentally, they are quite possibly the guys with the best stuff as well.

I don't know that Komminsk feels he is heading to the bullpen -- but that is the thought of many. He's more valuable as a starter, so I have no doubt BAL will keep him there if they think he can stick (as well they should).

That's a nice way to say what I said using more words. Sounded pretty. :)

I guess. I did want to be clear that the reliever possibilities significantly pre-dated the injury-marred year. And note the fact that folks tend to jump all over information that confirms their suspicions (rightly or wrongly).

I would love to hear some opinions on Lebron. He has always had great strikeout numbers, but his walks were way, way high until last year. I saw him blow away the middle of Akron's lineup this year, and he looked great to me, but I have no expertise. What do the experts think of Lebron?

He was really dominant after slumping over his first few outings with the Baysox. Pitching coach Larry McCall simply attributed that early ineffectiveness to jitters upon reaching Double-A again. Lebron finished the 2007 season with Bowie, too, but was only there for the final week of action. He's a guy that is, at times, effectively wild as Jeremy alluded to. It seems that almost every pitch is a tick or two from eclipsing the 100 MPH threshold.

I guess. I did want to be clear that the reliever possibilities significantly pre-dated the injury-marred year. And note the fact that folks tend to jump all over information that confirms their suspicions (rightly or wrongly).

Okay, but I think the real issue is still whether or not he'll hold up over the course of a full Major League season. I agree you provided greater detail as to the background.

He was really dominant after slumping over his first few outings with the Baysox. Pitching coach Larry McCall simply attributed that early ineffectiveness to jitters upon reaching Double-A again. Lebron finished the 2007 season with Bowie, too, but was only there for the final week of action. He's a guy that is, at times, effectively wild as Jeremy alluded to. It seems that almost every pitch is a tick or two from eclipsing the 100 MPH threshold.

Thanks for the info!

Sounds strikingly similar to DCab and Liz, moreso DCab.

Unorthodox and odd are synonyms. ;)

The delivery? Hah. I thought he was talking about the post in general (highlighting does help).

From Tony in the past:

On top of it, although Erbe has made strides over the years by working with Dave Schmidt, he still has an effort, high 3/4 delivery that he finishes by falling off the mound to the first base side.
Although his delivery has a hitch at the end where he strides a little extra after his front foot lands, he keeps his head still throughout his delivery which helps him with his control.

From Sickels:

Erbe's mechanics aren't textbook but they make it more difficult for hitters to pick up the ball.

From Goldstein:

Many scouts have expressed concerns about his mechanics, specifically how he throws across his body.

From other sources:

Following a small “hop” half in the middle of his delivery — to gather even more thrust — a white blur suddenly, briefly, appears before disappearing into the catcher’s thick leather with a loud WHAP!

He's been working to smooth it out over time. Nonetheless, his start point is from a place of some unorthodoxy.

Thanks for the info!

Sounds strikingly similar to DCab and Liz, moreso DCab.

He does a lot better pitching the ball than throwing it too though in all fairness. I was there when DCab came through Bowie too and his was just pull back and throw hard. No one could catch up to him, and coming that hard with control issues people didn't get up on the plate to get good contact.

Lebron throws really hard, but he's much better at setting up pitches which is good to see.

Archived