RIP Jim Bibby

Boy Howdy

Wow - I just learned that Jim Bibby passed away last night at the age of 65.

This thread will probably get moved, and you may be wondering what this has to do with the Orioles, so I'll explain. Jim Bibby was the Pittsburgh Pirates starting pitcher in Game Seven (as well as Game four) of the 1979 World Series. I don't expect any Orioles fans to shed any tears over that specifically, but the former All Star was a good guy to fans in my limited personal experience & part of a interesting sports family. Jim Bibby's brother Henry was a NBA player, and his nephew Mike is still playing hoops for the Atlanta Hawks.

The big man no-hit the A's in 1973 and won 111 major league games, though the Orioles beat him 7/12 regular season decisions. Still wish we could get a do over on that G7, but RIP to a member of the baseball family.

Bibby could work up a drenching sweat just bending over for the rosin bag. I always wondered if this gave his pitches some sort of pseudo-spitter action.

By the time he got out of the 1st inning of game 4 in the '79 series, he looked like he had spent a week in a hotbox a la Alec Guinness in Bridge on the River Kwai.

RIP, Jim.

From Wikipedia:

On May 19, 1981, at the age of 36 with the Pittsburgh Pirates, Bibby gave up a leadoff single to the Atlanta Braves' Terry Harper, then was perfect for the remainder of the game, proceeding to retire the next 27 straight batters. He pitched nine innings for the 5-0 shutout. On top of that he hit two doubles, going 2 for 3, and drove in a run and scored a run.

I didn't remember that.

He was uncle to one NBA player (Mike Bibby) and older brother to a former NCAA and NBA star (Henry Bibby).

P.S. - Of the 49 players who saw action in the 1979 WS, Bibby is the sixth to pass away.

John Milner, Bill Robinson and -of course- Willie Stargell are the other Pirates.

Pat Kelly & Mark Belanger are the Orioles.

Was Dock Ellis on that Pirates team, or am I losing my mind?

Wow, this brings back memories. Bibby was the longtime pitching coach for the single A team in Lynchburg, VA when I was young. As a kid I used to go to the camp that the team put on in town and I got to meet Bibby and get his autograph. He was pretty gruff, but a nice guy and a fan favorite for as long as he was there.

It's going to be a sad day at our dinner table tonight ....

For whatever reason, whenever I put a bib on my kids before dinner, I call it a "Jim Bibby"

Like, "It's time to put your Jim Bibby on."

My wife always though I was crazy until a good friend of mine who also grew up as a baseball fan in the 1970s was visiting our house. I said to him, "You know what I call this thing (holding up a bib)?"

He said: "A Jim Bibby! Me too!"

Archived