Dave Trembley: Early Leader for Mis-manager of the Year.

ChesterPeake

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I missed that. Was it on this thread?
I think you've said this about 9000 times. We get it. Here's what irritates me about posters like you, we take crap about your style all the time, but we let it slide, then I realize, this is why the guy annoys the crap out of people, he just reiterates his same opinion, over and over, and over in every thread going.

No matter how many times it's been proven that sending Atkins was a good baseball move (not the only move but solid baseball strategy), and that Atkins should have trucked the catcher instead of trying to slide around him like he weighed a buck fifty, you just keep throwing the blame on Trembley.

So you've brought up one situation, and one that clearly was a sound baseball decision, and you keep harping on it over and over and over.

Unless you have something different to add from a previous post in a thread, go ahead and assume we have heard that opinion already. Just please, please stop the posting the same opinion, over and over....

Short answer: Yes.

Short answer: Yes.

Okay. Thanks. I honestly didn't see that. I just will have to respectfully disagree. Hell could freeze over and unless DT states he didn't send Atkins I will blame him. Could I be wrong? Sure, but I doubt it.

As to a sound baseball decision, I don't see it when you have a slow runner like Atkins who would be unable to get back to third and ends up a sacrificial lamb. They would have been better off to let Longoria try the double play as he knew Roberts was running which probably helped cause him to bobble the ball as he respects Roberts speed. At least we still have a runner on third with one out and the sac fly still possible. I do agree Atkins should have tried to dislodge the ball from the catcher though instead of wimping out.

Anyway, my last post was more a general complaint about DT's in-game moves and strategy. This situation was not the first time we have seen problems. I really am of the train of thought that if the base running doesn't improve on this team from being terrible last year that DT is going to hang for it (by that I mean his job will be in jeopardy). That is all I am going to say about it on this thread today.

Reminds me of my Dad's old investment group tongue-in-cheek slogan: Often wrong, but never in doubt.

I love that slogan! :clap3:To me it is always better to be decisive and wrong than indecisive or a waffler. If your going to say or do something-own it, right or wrong!

How O's fans, as a group, are perceived by the general public is not my concern. Nevertheless, I doubt that my one thread will have much impact on that.

Loyal to the manager? How long? Until he gets fired? Most of them get fired, you know. No, I'm not loyal to Dave Trembley.

Dave Trembley is on a one-year contract. Based on that, it seems like McPhail isn't any more loyal to Trembley than I am. I want the same thing from Trembley that McPhail wants - good performance leading to more wins.

I do not care what Andy MacPhail thinks of Dave Trembley. I do not care what Dave Trembley thinks about Andy MacPhail. I just want to see MacPhail put a winning team on the field and I want Trembley to get the most of those players. I am fairly certain that both of those gentleman could not say that they accomplished those things to perfection, but that can be said about a lot of GM's and managers.

I can say one thing and be pretty certain about it, Dave Trembley was not the reason we lost the first two games of the season and he probably will have little to do with our next 5 wins. Players make plays and managers put them in a position to win. Dave Trembley gave the Orioles a chance to win in both games. The Orioles should have won the first game. Trembley didn't go 1-12 with runners in scoring position or leave 10 men on base. He didn't send Atkins either. You are taught (as a runner of third) with a runner on first and less than 2 outs to break on contact to avoid double plays. A double play would end the inning and getting the second out at home while leaving runners on first and second is a better option. That was a split second decision on Atkins part and it was the wrong one IMO, but I see dumber plays on a daily basis.

I do not care what Andy MacPhail thinks of Dave Trembley. I do not care what Dave Trembley thinks about Andy MacPhail. I just want to see MacPhail put a winning team on the field and I want Trembley to get the most of those players. I am fairly certain that both of those gentleman could not say that they accomplished those things to perfection, but that can be said about a lot of GM's and managers.

I can say one thing and be pretty certain about it, Dave Trembley was not the reason we lost the first two games of the season and he probably will have little to do with our next 5 wins. Players make plays and managers put them in a position to win. Dave Trembley gave the Orioles a chance to win in both games. The Orioles should have won the first game. Trembley didn't go 1-12 with runners in scoring position or leave 10 men on base. He didn't send Atkins either. You are taught (as a runner of third) with a runner on first and less than 2 outs to break on contact to avoid double plays. A double play would end the inning and getting the second out at home while leaving runners on first and second is a better option. That was a split second decision on Atkins part and it was the wrong one IMO, but I see dumber plays on a daily basis.

Wrong, a double play would NOT have ended the inning. There were NO outs! Losing that runner off third was a killer. Had he merely held he would likely have easily scored on Jones force out that was showboated by the Rays second baseman. I would bet my right arm there is no way Longoria turns two after bobbling the ball with Roberts running to first base. Nobody has that good an arm not even him!

Wrong, a double play would NOT have ended the inning. There were NO outs! Losing that runner off third was a killer. Had he merely held he would likely have easily scored on Jones force out that was showboated by the Rays second baseman. I would bet my right arm there is no way Longoria turns two after bobbling the ball with Roberts running to first base. Nobody has that good an arm not even him!

But in baseball, you play the percentages. How many times out of 10 does Longoria bobble that ball? One? Two? There's no way to know whether he'll field it cleanly in advance, so you run to stay out of the double play. As it happened, Longoria did bobble the ball, so holding up would have been the right move. But it wasn't the percentage move, which in my opinion, would have made it a bad play.

But in baseball, you play the percentages. How many times out of 10 does Longoria bobble that ball? One? Two? There's no way to know whether he'll field it cleanly in advance, so you run to stay out of the double play. As it happened, Longoria did bobble the ball, so holding up would have been the right move. But it wasn't the percentage move, which in my opinion, would have made it a bad play.

I could be wrong but it appeared to me that Atkins by virtue of taking such a big lead had no choice but to go as Longoria would have beaten him back to the back and tagged him out anyway. I just think that the runner should only have gone on contact if the ball was hit to short or second.

Maybe the fact that Atkins had taken off on contact was what caused Longoria to fumble the ball for a split second. You never know.

Bigger point is, I wouldn't bet that Atkins had specific instructions to run on any kind of ground ball. Has he been interviewed about the play? Did he say he ran because he had been told to run on anything? Unless he has said that, I'd presume otherwise.

Sorry, I have to disagree. Some managers excel at in-game moves. Joe Torre, Davey Johnson, the guy who managed the Twins for years Tom (blank) cannot think of his name = its hell when your on the back side of fifty), The Angels manager Mike Sciocisia (sic) , Lou Pinella, Jack McKeon, Sparky Anderson, Tommy Lasorda, and even Hargrove was pretty good at making base running, hit and run, and pitch out decisions - he just was poor with the constant pitching changes.

What makes the guys you mentioned great in-game tacticians? Aside from the O's managers you named, did you watch any of these guys manage on an everyday basis like you do Trembley? Or did you just name some successful managers and assume that they must've been great tacticians because their teams won?

I'm sure if you asked the fans who followed those managers everyday, there'd be no shortage of complaints about their in-game strategy (I've definitely heard heavy criticism of Torre, in particular, for his bullpen use). Those guys were great managers, but not because they had any sort of magical in-game strategy. Their success was much more about what they did behind the scenes.

Haha. This doesn't even make any sense. What thread did John start?

Next caller. :rolleyes:

That silly thread about a bachelor party without strippers. :eek:

I recall somebody (Roch?) posting that several players weren't happy with the decision to pickup Trembley's option because they wanted a fresh start.

I have to see proof of that. Otherwise I call :bs:

If there were no outs then you could stay at third and possibly be there with 2 outs, or run and have runners on first and second with one out. A single would likely score the guy from second and it would also score the guy at third. If you are playing the percentages then you break from third. This is a non-issue for me. This is another example of someone making a big deal out of a very small thing.

Cut Atkins, fire Trembley, move Tejada from the #4 spot, put Guthrie in the pen, and fire the closer! Now that we got that out the way, try adding something substantial next time instead of complaining so much! :laughlol:

That silly thread about a bachelor party without strippers. :eek:

I have to see proof of that. Otherwise I call :bs:

Trembley seems like a players manager to me so I agree with you. I heard that many players were happy to have him back. If players are looking to Trembley as blame for an almost 100 loss season, then they need to take a look in the mirror.

Trembley is not likely to win a manager of the year award, but he isn't a big part of the problem IMO.

Trembley seems like a players manager to me so I agree with you. I heard that many players were happy to have him back. If players are looking to Trembley as blame for an almost 100 loss season, then they need to take a look in the mirror.

Trembley is not likely to win a manager of the year award, but he isn't a big part of the problem IMO.

Is what I remember from then.

Archived