Dave Trembley: Early Leader for Mis-manager of the Year.

ChesterPeake

We're only two games into the season and Dave Trembley has already mis-managed 100% of the games. Some of you will tell me to lighten up, that it's only two games, but I plan to be all over Trembley's case this season because he has shown during his entire tenure that he is a bad enough manager to cause the O's to lose enough close games to take away the chance for our young players to experience being winners.

If we continue to be mis-manged and out-managed on a game-by-game basis, it's going to suck the life out of this team's morale and it's a damn shame.

I know we failed to plate RISP in game 1 and that we faced a dominant pitcher in game 2, but these were close games that could have been won. Why the heck was Atkins going on contact at 3B with 1 out in game 1? Why wasn't Luke in LF instead of Reimold in game 2? Why pitch to Longoria, of all people, with two on and 1B open in game 2? Etc., etc.

I'm convinced that we're never going to win big with Dave Trembley at the helm. The sooner he is gone, the better off we'll be.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why the heck was Atkins going on contact at 3B with 1 out in game 1?

It's a rule in baseball. With 1 out and a guy on 3rd, you send him. The only places he would have been out is if it was to the pitcher or right to Longoria. We just got unlucky.

As for Reimold/Scott in LF, I'd agree, but it's really not all that big a deal. The only question mark would have been Longoria's double, and I don't even think Scott could have gotten that ball.

I understand we'll are highly anticipating each game: ready to praise anything good, but even more so, ready to criticize any minute misplay, whetther it be by the players or the coaching staff. Am I pissed off we've lost these past two (winnable games)? Sure, but it's not the end of the world. The Orioles, as a whole, have looked pretty good versus Tampa Bay, who is considered a World Series candidate for this year.

Let's not forget who we're up against.

We're only two games into the season and Dave Trembley has already mis-managed 100% of the games. Some of you will tell me to lighten up, that it's only two games, but I plan to be all over Trembley's case this season because he has shown during his entire tenure that he is a bad enough manager to cause the O's to lose enough close games to take away the chance for our young players to experience being winners.

If we continue to be mis-manged and out-managed on a game-by-game basis, it's going to suck the life out of this team's morale and it's a damn shame.

I know we failed to plate RISP in game 1 and that we faced a dominant pitcher in game 2, but these were close games that could have been won. Why the heck was Atkins going on contact at 3B with 1 out in game 1? Why wasn't Luke in LF instead of Reimold in game 2? Why pitch to Longoria, of all people, with two on and 1B open in game 2? Etc., etc.

I'm convinced that we're never going to win big with Dave Trembley at the helm. The sooner he is gone, the better off we'll be.

Any chance we could get you to do that on the Sun board?

I bet if you ask the fans of the other 29 teams, they can pinpoint a few decisions their manager has made in the first two games that they disagree with. In fact, you could pick any game and any manager in the history of the major leagues and find a few decisions to quibble about. But it's these kinds of minor, unimportant decisions that have practically zero effect in the grand scheme of things.

Seriously, some fans put waaaaaay too much stock into every in-game decision. There are hundreds of managerial decisions in any given game, so obviously you're not going to agree with every one. But to say that makes someone the "Mis-Manager of the Year" is absurd, especially when you have no idea how Trembley's decisions compare to other managers' (who presumably you aren't watching on an everyday basis).

A manager's role goes way beyond these minor decisions. As long as he has the respect of his players and has his team ready to play, I'm not going to call for a guy's firing by overscrutinizing every little decision.

What an awful thread.

Trembley's managing has been fine. Our hitting w/ RISP, running into a stud pitcher on top of his game, and our closer crapping the bed in his first appearance are what have cost us the two games. Unless you think Trembley can improve the clutch hitting, tell the other team to take their starter out, or control how his closer is gonna pitch, there really isn't anything to complain about. Every move he's made has had a sound baseball logic behind it. They don't always work out, that's just how the game goes.

We've had two games - that we played very well - against a very good team. Two games...and I'm already sick of the "Everything is DT's Fault" threads/discussion. We were in position to win game 1, and our brand new closer wet the bed. We get NO situational hitting. But it's obviously all DT's fault. This is just getting absurd. You might not like all of the decisions he makes, but do we really need all of the hyperbole that goes into threads like this?

Funny I kooked through my copy of the baseball rule book and I can't find that one anywhere. Do you have the page number? I think DT should have pulled Millwood before the 6th in the first game and I'm not sure I agree about the running on contact business, but I have heard some good arguments for it. Reimold/Scott in LF would have made no difference on those two balls IMO. I'm not ready to fire DT just yet. The two losses have been team efforts and DT as part of the team did his part.

Why the heck was Atkins going on contact at 3B with 1 out in game 1?

It's a rule in baseball. With 1 out and a guy on 3rd, you send him. The only places he would have been out is if it was to the pitcher or right to Longoria. We just got unlucky.

As for Reimold/Scott in LF, I'd agree, but it's really not all that big a deal. The only question mark would have been Longoria's double, and I don't even think Scott could have gotten that ball.

I understand we'll are highly anticipating each game: ready to praise anything good, but even more so, ready to criticize any minute misplay, whetther it be by the players or the coaching staff. Am I pissed off we've lost these past two (winnable games)? Sure, but it's not the end of the world. The Orioles, as a whole, have looked pretty good versus Tampa Bay, who is considered a World Series candidate for this year.

Let's not forget who we're up against.

Rule, there is no rule. I believe Weaver would only have not sent him on a ball to Longoria but he would have shot Lugo (who should have been on 3rd) if he would have been very far off 3rd and made an out.

This, avoid the double play stuff, forgets who was running. Izturis was on first and Brian was batting. The chances that they double Brian is poor. And Longoria dropped the ball while going away from third to field the ball anyway.

Scott probably who not have fielded the Longoria double any better then Reimold did.

Rule, there is no rule. I believe Weaver would only have not sent him on a ball to Longoria but he would have shot Lugo (who should have been on 3rd) if he would have been very far off 3rd and made an out.

This, avoid the double play stuff, forgets who was running. Izturis was on first and Brian was batting. The chances that they double Brian is poor. And Longoria dropped the ball while going away from third to field the ball anyway.

OK, so I see two people have picked up on the word usage there, so I apologize for writing "rule" there, because obviously not.

My real point in all of this was to contradict what the OP was saying, because I think he was being overcritical on Trembley through the first two games.

I'm not going to say that I know every small kink in what to do in a baseball game because I don't know them all, and there are always exceptions. I was basing it off of what I have read, heard, and understood.

Atkins is so slow you'd have to time him with an hourglass. Plus he made a lame attempt to score. I'm wondering, did a player make the decision not to pinch-run for Atkins? If so, I guess DT is off the hook for this one.

OK, so I see two people have picked up on the word usage there, so I apologize for writing "rule" there, because obviously not.

My real point in all of this was to contradict what the OP was saying, because I think he was being overcritical on Trembley through the first two games.

I'm not going to say that I know every small kink in what to do in a baseball game because I don't know them all, and there are always exceptions. I was basing it off of what I have read, heard, and understood.

You are right about the first and third thing. It was the right play and as hard as that ball was hit, Longoria would have been able to easily double up Roberts had he fielded the ball correctly. Trembley explained it well and it was the right move, it just didn't work out when the Orioles failed to get a key hit and Atkins failed to run over the catcher (perhaps he jars the ball loose of the runners get the 3rd and 2nd on the play if he does).

Either way, I'm not saying using another strategy would be terrible, but the strategy used was solid.

Archived