Dave Trembley: Early Leader for Mis-manager of the Year.

ChesterPeake

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What percentage of games would you say he does mismanage? And how does that compare to other managers?

I really wish we still had that thread (probably last year sometime) where there was a stat that showed what percentage of games manager's decisions directly affect.

Was there such a thread or have I completely lost my mind that such a stat exists?

Hopefully next year when the Orioles are ready to contend for a playoff spot, AM will bring in a real ML manager.

What's to say that DT won't be a better (I already think he is pretty good, but understand his flaws) manager when that time comes? A lot of managers who end up being the ones that we covet have to grow into their roles and many have to fail a stop or two along the way before they find their way/find a team that fits.

I think if DT is canned in the next year or two, he will be our first former manager in a long time to get another shot elsewhere.

....during his entire tenure that he is a bad enough manager to cause the O's to lose enough close games to take away the chance for our young players to experience being winners.

The Orioles were never predicted, nor had the firepower to be winners, with or without DT. Not sure why you would think otherwise...:scratchchinhmm: He was within a few games of the pathagorean prediction btw.

:rolleyestf: When one comes, they all come out.

Or maybe people are starting to realize that while Trembley is entertaining and charismatic, he's not a very good in game manager. The Orioles will win games in spite of him, not because of him IMO.

MacPhail should have gone with somebody else before this season.

I recall somebody (Roch?) posting that several players weren't happy with the decision to pickup Trembley's option because they wanted a fresh start.

What's to say that DT won't be a better (I already think he is pretty good, but understand his flaws) manager when that time comes? A lot of managers who end up being the ones that we covet have to grow into their roles and many have to fail a stop or two along the way before they find their way/find a team that fits.

I think if DT is canned in the next year or two, he will be our first former manager in a long time to get another shot elsewhere.

Why, what has he done so great as to warrant interest from another team? I mean cmon, I know its another sport but Brian Billick won a superbowl with the Ravens and no team has been interested in him as a coach!

Or maybe people are starting to realize that while Trembley is entertaining and charismatic, he's not a very good in game manager. The Orioles will win games in spite of him, not because of him IMO.

MacPhail should have gone with somebody else before this season.

I recall somebody (Roch?) posting that several players weren't happy with the decision to pickup Trembley's option because they wanted a fresh start.

Why don't you post a poll and let's see where it comes out?

I'm going to be willing to bet that Trembley has far more supporters than detractors around here.

Here's the thing, though. If you were to ask the fans of any team in baseball-- heck, any team in professional sports-- they would have exactly the same complaints about their own manager or head coach. When you're following a team day in and day out, of course you're going to notice in-game decisions that you don't agree with. It doesn't mean your manager is making more mistakes than others. It's just that he's the only one you're following on an everyday basis, so his debatable decisions are magnified.

I'll let you in on a secret: In terms of in-game strategy, all managers are pretty much the same. Trembley is no significantly better or worse at in-game strategy than any other manager. If were Dodgers fans, we'd be nitpicking Joe Torre's moves. If we were Cardinals fans, we'd be nitpicking Tony La Russa's moves. If we were Indians fans, we'd be nitpicking Manny Acta's moves. But the bottom line is that there's no significant difference between them, strategically. What separates good managers from bad ones is their ability to give and receive respect from their players and keep the team focused.

Just because you can find in-game decisions to nitpick doesn't mean a guy's not cut out for the job. If it were, managers would be fired after every game.

I suppose you missed the personal insults he tossed out at me. I may have started a "baseless diatribe" but I did not insult any poster until I finally responded to one of the several who insulted me.

Pass the Kool-Aid. I'd better drink some before I get banned for not sharing your viewpoint.

Easy there cowpoke, has any moderator threaten to ban you for your opinion? I don't think so. I don't agree with you at all, but you are entitled to your opinion just like other posters are entitled to question that opinion. No need to start going all martyr on us.

Here's the thing, though. If you were to ask the fans of any team in baseball-- heck, any team in professional sports-- they would have exactly the same complaints about their own manager or head coach. When you're following a team day in and day out, of course you're going to notice in-game decisions that you don't agree with. It doesn't mean your manager is making more mistakes than others. It's just that he's the only one you're following on an everyday basis, so his debatable decisions are magnified.

I'll let you in on a secret: In terms of in-game strategy, all managers are pretty much the same. Trembley is no significantly better or worse at in-game strategy than any other manager. If were Dodgers fans, we'd be nitpicking Joe Torre's moves. If we were Cardinals fans, we'd be nitpicking Tony La Russa's moves. If we were Indians fans, we'd be nitpicking Manny Acta's moves. But the bottom line is that there's no significant difference between them, strategically. What separates good managers from bad ones is their ability to give and receive respect from their players and keep the team focused.

Just because you can find in-game decisions to nitpick doesn't mean a guy's not cut out for the job. If it were, managers would be fired after every game.

No truer words were ever written on a message board....

I'm a big fan of Trembley both personally and professionally, but even I second guess him at times. Hell, I could manage a game, watch it on TV later, and probably second guess myself. It's baseball, and it's part of the game.

I think everyone likes the way he communicates, and most think he uses his pen well, and almost everyone agrees that he's working hard and putting 100 percent into preparing for a game. The other stuff is all stuff that people are always going to second guess.

If that were ever said by a reliable source, it would have been discussed ad naseum by the naysayers, such as yourself. We would be constantly reminded, so I have to believe you're just making stuff up now, or just presenting someones arbitrary hypothesis as fact. Nothing new really...

No truer words were ever written on a message board....

I'm a big fan of Trembley both personally and professionally, but even I second guess him at times. Hell, I could manage a game, watch it on TV later, and probably second guess myself. It's baseball, and it's part of the game.

I think everyone likes the way he communicates, and most think he uses his pen well, and almost everyone agrees that he's working hard and putting 100 percent into preparing for a game. The other stuff is all stuff that people are always going to second guess.

Sorry, I have to disagree. Some managers excel at in-game moves. Joe Torre, Davey Johnson, the guy who managed the Twins for years Tom (blank) cannot think of his name = its hell when your on the back side of fifty), The Angels manager Mike Sciocisia (sic) , Lou Pinella, Jack McKeon, Sparky Anderson, Tommy Lasorda, and even Hargrove was pretty good at making base running, hit and run, and pitch out decisions - he just was poor with the constant pitching changes.

Trembley is simplay very bad at in-game decisions, other than pitching changes which I rate him somwhat above average. His in game decisions otherwise are very much lacking. He's slow to react by making defensive moves, bunting, hitting and running, calling pitchouts at the right time, and has never used a suicide squeeze play to my knowledge.

He seems to manage like he's afraid to piss off any of the veteran players and I think they will never contend with him. He also now surpassing Nick Markakis as being the most over-rated and highly thought of member of the Orioles team right now for some bizarre reason. I personally don't blame him for the team being a loser but it is a fact he has been putting poor base running teams out there consistently and that falls squarely on his shoulders.

Sorry, I have to disagree. Some managers excel at in-game moves. Joe Torre, Davey Johnson, the guy who managed the Twins for years Tom (blank) cannot think of his name = its hell when your on the back side of fifty), The Angels manager Mike Sciocisia (sic) , Lou Pinella, Jack McKeon, Sparky Anderson, Tommy Lasorda, and even Hargrove was pretty good at making base running, hit and run, and pitch out decisions - he just was poor with the constant pitching changes.

Trembley is simplay very bad at in-game decisions, other than pitching changes which I rate him somwhat above average. His in game decisions otherwise are very much lacking. He's slow to react by making defensive moves, bunting, hitting and running, calling pitchouts at the right time, and has never used a suicide squeeze play to my knowledge.

He seems to manage like he's afraid to piss off any of the veteran players and I think they will never contend with him. He also now surpassing Nick Markakis as being the most over-rated and highly thought of member of the Orioles team right now for some bizarre reason. I personally don't blame him for the team being a loser but it is a fact he has been putting poor base running teams out there consistently and that falls squarely on his shoulders.

Just curious - your response to Tony asking you not to simply repeat yourself is to simply repeat yourself?

Archived