Dave Trembley: Early Leader for Mis-manager of the Year.

ChesterPeake

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Atkins didn't run on contact. He ran once he saw it was a grounder at anyone other than the pitcher.
That'a not what I saw when I went back and looked at the play a few times. I think DT has a point, but I think running on contact is not a cut and dry thing there. I think a good baserunner has more options there. He takes his lead, the ball is hit, he takes a few steps, when he see's it's right at the 3B(he shouldn't ha e to turn around and look at the 3B to know this) he stops. If the 3B looks him back, fine, no DP. If the 3B commits to 2B and the DP, he takes off for home. He has a much better chance of scoring, when the ball has to go to second, avoid the runner trying to break up the DP, and back to home for the catcher to apply the tag. More time and more opportunities for the other team to screw up. With Atkins he was looking at Longeria. When he see's the bobble, if he goes back to the bag, he has a shot to be safe and there is no DP. Couldd end up with the bases loaded.

"On offense, your most precious possessions are your 27 outs"

Weaver certainly may have pinch run for Atkins, but that's not really a fair comparison. Weaver played with a 4-man rotation and a 5-man bullpen. So he had 7 guys sitting on his bench. Trembley only has 4. Maybe the time was right to use one of them, but I don't really see Lugo making a huge impact there.

Good points. I hadn't considered that. Still, Weaver would sometimes deplete his bench with so many moves that he'd have guys playing odd positions.

That'a not what I saw when I went back and looked at the play a few times. I think DT has a point, but I think running on contact is not a cut and dry thing there. I think a good baserunner has more options there. He takes his lead, the ball is hit, he takes a few steps, when he see's it's right at the 3B(he shouldn't ha e to turn around and look at the 3B to know this) he stops. If the 3B looks him back, fine, no DP. If the 3B commits to 2B and the DP, he takes off for home. He has a much better chance of scoring, when the ball has to go to second, avoid the runner trying to break up the DP, and back to home for the catcher to apply the tag. More time and more opportunities for the other team to screw up.

Yep. Standard play, IMO.

I have been frequenting the Orioles Hangout since 2003. In that time, we've been managed by Mike Hargrove, Lee Mazzilli, Sam Perlozzo and Dave Trembley. In that entire period of 7+ years, I can't remember a single game that we lost by 1-2 runs where some poster didn't attempt to blame the loss on some decision of the manager, or the failure of the manager to hold his players accountable for X, or some other managerial flaw.

Frankly, I'm pretty sick of it, but that's one of the hazards of being an active participant on a baseball fan message board, I guess.

The fact is, we don't know whether Atkins was instucted to run on contact no matter where the ball was hit. (And I doubt that he was.) We don't know if he would have scored later in the inning if he hadn't run. We don't know if the Rays would have scored even more runs in the 9th inning if they had kept batting in that game. We don't know if Scott would have gotten to the two fly balls Reimold couldn't reach. We don't know if Pena would have gotten a hit if we had chosen to walk Longoria with runners on 2nd and 3rd.

It is just too easy to take any close game, find a managerial decision that turned out badly, and say it was a bad decision that cost the game. Yeah it happens, but the impact of managing in these two games has been minimal.

Sweet. Please keep this up. Getting banned would save the rest of us from your baseless diatribes.

I suppose you missed the personal insults he tossed out at me. I may have started a "baseless diatribe" but I did not insult any poster until I finally responded to one of the several who insulted me.

Pass the Kool-Aid. I'd better drink some before I get banned for not sharing your viewpoint.

I suppose you missed the personal insults he tossed out at me. I may have started a "baseless diatribe" but I did not insult any poster until I finally responded to one of the several who insulted me.

Pass the Kool-Aid. I'd better drink some before I get banned for not sharing your viewpoint.

Hey don't be a drama queen about it.:laughlol: BTW in OH lexicon that's not an insult. You'll be right back in there tomorrow, with another baseless diatribe.:mwahaha:

Good points. I hadn't considered that. Still, Weaver would sometimes deplete his bench with so many moves that he'd have guys playing odd positions.

Rarely. The game everyone always cites, the Lenn Sakata Game, was under Joe Altobelli.

Guys like Belanger and Brooks and Boog never played anywhere but their primary position under Earl. And even some seemingly weird stuff like Dan Graham playing 13 games at third aren't that odd considering he was primarily a third baseman in the minors.

Kool-Aid references have become a pretty reliable barometer of a poster's value.

You'll get banned for insulting moderators. You're dumbass opinions won't get you banned, just ridiculed.

This thread has only slightly more merit than the guy who started one yesterday bashing Trembley for not pinch hitting with Pie last night despite his inability to swing a bat.

Can we have some threads when moves Trembley makes are arguably responsible for winning games?

Then can we all flip out and call for him to get a 10-year contract?

I've already started whittling a large "7" out of a felled light pole near my house. Gonna wrap it in tinfoil then nail it to Earl's "4" to honor the real greatest manager in Orioles history: Dave Trembley.

Archived