Sports Illustrated: Orioles Plan Flawed

BrunoCherrytown

And it was/is perfectly reasonable to expect those things...I did too...We all did...And I think it will still come to fruition.

But that doesn't change the idea that he has done a pretty bad job of augmenting that core.

There's no doubt that bringing in a big bat like Bay or Holliday, or trading for AGon would have definitely served its purpose, both on the field and in the clubhouse. They would have brought in a swagger that this clubhouse needs more of. It also would have sent the message that this is not another rebuilding year.

But like you said, there's still time, April is in the past and it's a new month.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do agree with you. I think that AM was really counting on a large improvement from guys like Wieters, Jones, Reimold, and Pie. I think he was counting on a bounce back season from Nick.

And if those things happened, AM would look like a genius. But Jones has regressed, Nick has put up OK numbers, and Wieters has hit for no power. Tejada has been a nice complement, but as it has been mentioned before, we didn't go out and get a big difference maker.

I truly believe AM was expecting huge improvements from the young guys. He was right about the pitching, but so far, not about the hitting.

Our oitching staff has the second highest hit total and ERA in the AL. The young pitchers have been better then the hitters. Matusz has been the big bright spot. Bergy has been terrible.We shall see what happens with Tillman,etc,

That's a big if.

The reason these young guys are struggling is because they aren't ready to carry an offense yet. They are only in their 1st or 2nd full year in the majors.

Remember Jones only played in 119 games last season so this is kind of his second year as well.

As for Markakis, he is doing a lot better since he has been moved out of a run producing position and put into a run scoring one...

If Tejada can continue his offensive push, they might have something, but considering he's 35 that's a big if.

There were better options out there to carry an offense. This article is right on point IMO. Too much was expected of the young players too soon and they didn't get enough help to help them succeed.

That is all MacPhail's fault. He's likely set us back at least one year with the awful offseason he had.

See, its not a big if.

It is called expected progression. And I for one am not going to let one critical article overshadow the dozens, some from the very same publication, expressing the exact opposite mentality.

Our oitching staff has the second highest hit total and ERA in the AL. The young pitchers have been better then the hitters. Matusz has been the big bright spot. Bergy has been terrible.We shall see what happens with Tillman,etc,

I meant our starting pitching, which has been much better than the years past. I realize were average in terms of the numbers, but we've been in just about every game.

Bergy really throws off those numbers though. A the start of the Yankee series, outside of Bergy the starters had a sub-4 ERA.

See, its not a big if.

It is called expected progression. And I for one am not going to let one critical article overshadow the dozens, some from the very same publication, expressing the exact opposite mentality.

Those articles were in the past. If you would notice, the shine is coming off Andy MacPhail and the plan. More and more media types are saying the Orioles plan is flawed. Our lack of positional depth keeps coming up over and over again in articles.

And as I've said, this is the exact same thing that happened to MacPhail in Chicago and why his plan failed there. History is repeating itself...

Those articles were in the past. If you would notice, the shine is coming off Andy MacPhail and the plan. More and more media types are saying the Orioles plan is flawed.

Even Peter Angelos himself doesn't see it working...

You have some sources to back that up, or are you just making stuff up and reading what you want to read?

Those articles were in the past. If you would notice, the shine is coming off Andy MacPhail and the plan. More and more media types are saying the Orioles plan is flawed. Our lack of positional depth keeps coming up over and over again in articles.

Where does he say this?

I haven't seen anything from him lately, except regarding Cal Ripken and Rosenthal.

EDIT: Hm...that's funny. You edited your comment right then, so nevermind.

You have some sources to back that up, or are you just making stuff up and reading what you want to read?

I've posted it before, but here you go:

[Angelos] believes franchises such as the Orioles -- unable to generate huge revenues -- cannot remain competitive, or at least stay even with teams such as the Yankees and Red Sox.

"It's a question of how much money you can generate," he said. "Once in a while there is an exception to that rule, but it cannot be sustained year-to-year. It's an old story: How much money do you have? We're in that kind of economic system and those rules apply."

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100201&content_id=8007408&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

Where does he say this?

I haven't seen anything from him lately, except regarding Cal Ripken and Rosenthal.

EDIT: Hm...that's funny. You edited your comment right then, so nevermind.

I posted that, but then withdrew it because it didn't fit with what I wanted to say. But I posted your answer above anyway.

You don't think there is any chance he might be saying that as a way to get more revenue sharing in MLB? You think he might not be talking about AM's plan? Do you ever read something with an open mind without having to insert your agenda into it?

I posted that, but then withdrew it because it didn't fit with what I wanted to say. But I posted your answer above anyway.

In terms of the executive's interview with SI, I think he was commenting on the plan as being flawed because of the Orioles' lack of success so far this year.

Whereas your quote from Angelos is from February.

You don't think there is any chance he might be saying that as a way to get more revenue sharing in MLB? You think he might not be talking about AM's plan? Do you ever read something with an open mind without having to insert your agenda into it?

I was worried Angelos wasn't getting enough Rev Share money. Let's start a collection plate.

He's been already given:

1) A guaranteed value on his franchise regardless of how little money he puts into it.

2.) A 2 team RSN.

3.) Rev Share money - and the argument here is prove it. My counter is Levine, Boras, Henry's comments about Rev share, the Brewers' owners admission of getting it and the Marlins having to spend actual money to extend their top pitcher (we aren't as bad as them yet - although having been to many Marlins games down here at their pathetic stadium- our attendance ain't looking that far off in the future)

I feel very bad for Peter Angelos.

Oh I have no doubt he's trying to sacrifice the Orioles to prove a point...

I know people have said it is a conspiracy theory but I thnk he's really doing this intentionally to the Orioles to try to show how out of whack the financial system is.

The problem is, all the other teams in the AL East aren't crying about the system. They are trying to work within it to win, doing what they can and using their resources effectively. The Orioles are not. They keep whining about the Yankees and Red Sox instead of actually trying to catch them.

Archived