Third Hand Report on Hobgood

Stotle

I know Tony was the one who said he's 310 lbs now, and while he is of course a very reliable source and wouldn't say something he doesn't believe is correct, I just can't believe it.

How could Hobgood have put on 60 lbs from spring training until now? It just doesn't make sense. That would be hard to do even if you try.

I didn't say he weighs that now. I said someone told me he was up to 310 pounds. Honestly, I don't care what the number is because it's apparent the kid needs to start working very, very hard to get that weight under control regardless.

He's supposedly a good kid who cares a whole lot, and like some others have said, that first year of being away, on the road, and trying to learn how to be a professional athlete can be tough for some. Saying that, he needs to prove it with actions not words. I don't care what the player says he's doing or has done, I care about how he looks and performs because ultimately, that's what matters.

Hopefully he'll get the right guidance and have the right inner fortitude to get the weight off and fulfill his immense potential.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True, but he is 6-foo-4 and the body I saw in pictures certainly suggests he could have been encroaching 300. I didn't see the scale and the information I got would certainly fall under the third hand information category, but either way, the point is that Hobgood needs to get his weight under control and show the organization he's going to out work EVERYONE to get back to where he needs to be.

Tony, could you clarify if your source said that Hobgood weighs 310 now (or very recently), or did he mean he weighed that much sometime last year?*

In any event, I don't dispute your central point that Hobgood needs to realize that he needs to be in much better shape if he wants to make it to the majors. And, he needs to do something about it.

* Never mind, I guess your subsequent post clarifies this.

"immense potential".:eek:

If he could get his velocity back to the pre draft reports while continuing to show a heavy FB and showing a plus curve, then I would say he has some immense potential. He needs to start missing some bats before I get excited about him. I really hope the Orioles and Matt get this weight thing under control.

I heart civility. Thanks Stotle.

Seriously guys...I don't care how much money you threw at me when I was 19. I was a wreckless dummy. I'm pretty sure most of us who led outward, active social lives might be able to say the same thing with 10+ years to reflect. It doesn't mean I was above criticism, but it doesn't warrant personal insults and namecalling.

From the board rules and policies...

5. Posts containing slanderous or otherwise disrespectful messages will be removed. This includes name calling of other posters, Orioles players, coaches, front office personnel, members of the media, or Hangout staff.

So was I. BUT this organization/Joe Jordan told us that Hobgood had the makeup/work ethic to get his weight under control, learn what he needed to, and become a great pitcher for this organization.

It is WAY too early to completely write him off, but I wanted Matzek back then and still feel that we should have taken Matzek.

I do agree about the name-calling, though, it could be a genetic problem or something who knows but I think we could have done better at 1:5 last year.

I hope these two photos of Matt Hobgood show up here. They were taken on June 6. His chest was solid as a rock (see photos) and can cover ground very quickly. He feels that his loss in velocity may be due to the fact that he trimmed down so much during the off-season (from 265 to 250).

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=1649521027/a=1717053027_1717053027/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

P.S. I can verify that he weighed 250 when I interviewed him in March and he looks slimmer now. I think the t-shirt photos above show he is slimmer.

FWIW, he looks in pretty good shape to me. Certainly nowhere close to 300 lbs.

I hope these two photos of Matt Hobgood show up here. They were taken on June 6. His chest was solid as a rock (see photos) and can cover ground very quickly. He feels that his loss in velocity may be due to the fact that he trimmed down so much during the off-season (from 265 to 250).

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=1649521027/a=1717053027_1717053027/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Thanks for giving us some actual facts, Doc. I'm not sure I buy his theory about loss of velocity, but he certainly doesn't look woefully out of shape in the picture.

P.S. I can verify that he weighed 250 when I interviewed him in March and he looks slimmer now. I think the t-shirt photos above show he is slimmer.

Weird that there's misinformation like that out there.

I really wonder what people are thinking when they drop numbers like 310. I'm not blaming Tony (he was just passing on what he was told).

A person doesn't have to be overweight to be out of shape, and vice versa. Koji would seem to be a perfect exhibit for the former. Maybe in his effort to drop weight Matt ignored some of the other conditioning a pitcher needs to do. The photos Doc provided (thanks for that BTW) certainly provide reassurance that he isn't currently playing at over 300 lbs.

A person doesn't have to be overweight to be out of shape' date=' and vice versa. Koji would seem to be a perfect exhibit for the former. Maybe in his effort to drop weight Matt ignored some of the other conditioning a pitcher needs to do. The photos Doc provided (thanks for that BTW) certainly provide reassurance that he isn't currently playing at over 300 lbs.[/quote']

Maybe the reports about Hobgood are as overblown as everything else is these days? Maybe he can still throw 95 (as was reported by his uncle) but is just focusing heavily on throwing strikes?

It could be any number of things. It doesn't at all appear true that he's 310 lbs. The opposite appears to be true about his weight, according to Doc.

I didn't say he weighs that now. I said someone told me he was up to 310 pounds. Honestly, I don't care what the number is because it's apparent the kid needs to start working very, very hard to get that weight under control regardless.

He's supposedly a good kid who cares a whole lot, and like some others have said, that first year of being away, on the road, and trying to learn how to be a professional athlete can be tough for some. Saying that, he needs to prove it with actions not words. I don't care what the player says he's doing or has done, I care about how he looks and performs because ultimately, that's what matters.

Hopefully he'll get the right guidance and have the right inner fortitude to get the weight off and fulfill his immense potential.

Completely agree Hob needs to practice the 'ole pushback and do some jogging down Hobbs Road, but as someone who is 6'6, I can tell you the dude is nowhere close to 310.

From the pictures I've seen, he's much closer to 250 than even 270 IMO.

225 would be a good target.

Is really losing 5% of your weight that big of a deal. We aren't talking about a Sid Fernandez type slim down. 15 pounds is nice to lose, but when you are 265 pounds, it really isn't much. Nothing that should bring your velocity from 93-96 to 88-91.

I would love to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but really.

Archived