Rumor: O's in formal negotiations with Buck Showalter

ScottieBaseball

I disagree...That should be a starting from day 1 thing...

You can certainly disagree about whether or not it should be an in-season thing, but I don't see how you can disagree with the observation that it is in fact an off-season thing, given how baseball actually works...

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can certainly disagree about whether or not it should be an in-season thing, but I don't see how you can disagree with the observation that it is in fact an off-season thing, given how baseball actually works...

If Buck wants to pluck Orel Hershiser or Flanny from the broadcast booth to be the pitching coach, he should be given the freedom to do so from day 1. See how that works? I must have missed the section in the coaching staff manual where it said that these things need to wait until the off-season. The original question was whether Buck would have the freedom to select his own coaching staff...He should in fact be given that freedom and I disagree that it is necesarily something that needs to be delayed until the off-season.

I think this is all shaping up for Showalter to be named manager over the all-star break. I wouldn't be surprised if he is already interviewing coaching candidates. I wouldn't think anything would be leaked until the entire new staff is in place, probably over the ASB.

I think this is all shaping up for Showalter to be named manager over the all-star break. I wouldn't be surprised if he is already interviewing coaching candidates. I wouldn't think anything would be leaked until the entire new staff is in place, probably over the ASB.

I HOPE this is what is happening, but with MacPhail, you just never know!

Are you saying coaches can't be replaced in-season?

If Buck wants to pluck Orel Hershiser or Flanny from the broadcast booth to be the pitching coach, he should be given the freedom to do so from day 1. See how that works? I must have missed the section in the coaching staff manual where it said that these things need to wait until the off-season. The original question was whether Buck would have the freedom to select his own coaching staff...He should in fact be given that freedom and I disagree that it is necesarily something that needs to be delayed until the off-season.

But if he wants someone currently employed by another Major League club, he's not going to be able to have him "from day one". Therefore, you are both right. Therefore, you are both wrong.

Carry on.

Not saying they can't. Just saying that it is customary for a new manager to keep the existing coaches in the short run, and then bring in his own during the off season.

Not speaking for Shack, but it's just not realistic during the season. Like the above examples, if he wants Hershiser of Flanny, then he absolutely has to have the authority to get them, right away.

But like Soxhotcorner said about Hale, he already has a job, and he's not coming til the offseason.

It all depends on who Buck wants and whether they have a ML job right now.

Archived