What happens if we REALLY fall?

So, as you all know, there's definitely a legitimate chance that we'll fall out of the #1 pick. Looking into the draft though, we're only:

4.5 games behind Seattle

5.5 games behind Arizona

8 games behind Cleveland

8 games behind Kansas City

8.5 games behind Chicago Cubs

9 games behind Houston

10 games behind Washington

I in no way believe we'll jump over all of those teams, and theres a good chance this is just lip service with the schedule we have coming up, but I've definitely been thinking of the possibility of falling out of the top 4. We just need to finish behind 3 of the above teams to do that, and there's still 49 games left to close the gap.

So what's your contingency plan in this scenario? Do you tank games? Do you bite the bullet and accept it? Do you purposely fail to sign Machado (which assuming #1 and #2 sign, gives us #4)?

So, as you all know, there's definitely a legitimate chance that we'll fall out of the #1 pick. Looking into the draft though, we're only:

4.5 games behind Seattle

5.5 games behind Arizona

8 games behind Cleveland

9 games behind Houston

I in no way believe we'll jump over all of those teams, and theres a good chance this is just lip service with the schedule we have coming up, but I've definitely been thinking of the possibility of falling out of the top 4. We just need to finish behind 3 of the above teams to do that, and there's still 49 games left to close the gap.

So what's your contingency plan in this scenario? Do you tank games? Do you bite the bullet and accept it? Do you purposely fail to sign Machado (which assuming #1 and #2 sign, gives us #4)?

We'd be hard pressed to fall further than no. 3. If we played .500 under Showalter, we'd still be only 61-101. Only Pittsburgh is on pace to do worse than that.

We'd be hard pressed to fall further than no. 3. If we played .500 under Showalter, we'd still be only 61-101. Only Pittsburgh is on pace to do worse than that.

That pace was also set with Seattle having Cliff Lee and Arizona having Dan Haren.

4.5 games behind Seattle

5.5 games behind Arizona

8 games behind Cleveland

9 games behind Houston

Isn't that absolutely amazing? I can for sure count 9 games we just gave away.

If we play one game over .500 from here on out though, we'd finish with 64 wins.

Seattle is on pace for 62.5 wins, Arizona for 64 wins, and Cleveland and Kansas City are on pace for 67 wins.

I don't see us falling any lower than 4th, but I think it could happen. I'd gladly take that too, as long as the winning down the stretch is fueled by the young guys, and simply looking at our current roster, it pretty much would have to be. Only Wiggy, Millwood, Izturis, and Koji are guys that likely won't be here next year.

That pace was also set with Seattle having Cliff Lee and Arizona having Dan Haren.

We have the toughest schedule of any team in baseball down the stretch. I think that offsets the losses of Lee and Haren for Seattle and Arizona respectively.

Eh, we'll probably get one of Rendon/Cole/Purke/Jungmann no matter what.

Those guys may not even be the top 4 picks. Keith Law had an article last week wrapping up the Cape Cod League and said George Springer (OF, UConn) is a contender for the first overall pick if Rendon's ankle doesn't heal. Not to mention high school talent that could creep up into the top 5 picks.

We have the toughest schedule of any team in baseball down the stretch. I think that offsets the losses of Lee and Haren for Seattle and Arizona respectively.

Those guys may not even be the top 4 picks. Keith Law had an article last week wrapping up the Cape Cod League and said George Springer (OF, UConn) is a contender for the first overall pick if Rendon's ankle doesn't heal. Not to mention high school talent that could creep up into the top 5 picks.

This is why you never tank games and why you never, ever, EVER root for us to lose. The #1 pick is not a guaranteed superstar any more than the 2, 3, or 10th pick are. We pick where we pick.

Now, years later when you realize that sweeping a meaningless series against the Yanks to end the season cost you Tex, THEN we can complain. But you never root to lose...NEVER! At least I don't. And I know Cindy won't! ;)

This year seems to be more typical of years prior to the last two, where there is no clear cut Strasburg/Harper, head and shoulders above the rest, type of pick. There appears to be a lot of talent in this draft and baring us winning 80% of our games the rest of the way, we should be in position to pick a very good ball player. I also think back to prior years where 5 or 6 players end up in the top 10 that weren't even on the radar before the season began. Some 17 year old kid could gain have a monster year next year and propel themselves into the top 5.

Archived