Jeter's Future- Serious responses please

beaner

Ok, I've taken some harmless grief over the years around here with my "love" of Derek Jeter. But after watching him this year, and knowing he's a free agent, it really does put the Yankees in a tough spot.

Granted, money's no object for them, but clearly Jeter isn't the player he once was, yet he's still Derek Jeter, so they certainly can't let him walk.What I'm wondering is what does everyone think he'll get from them, and will he be the shortstop going forward?

I'll guess, 4 years, $48 mil.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, I've taken some harmless grief over the years around here with my "love" of Derek Jeter. But after watching him this year, and knowing he's a free agent, it really does put the Yankees in a tough spot.

Granted, money's no object for them, but clearly Jeter isn't the player he once was, yet he's still Derek Jeter, so they certainly can't let him walk.What I'm wondering is what does everyone think he'll get from them, and will he be the shortstop going forward?

I'll guess, 4 years, $48 mil.

3/45 with an option. I think they go with him at SS next season but if his play continues to regress they will move him to the outfield for 2012.

I think by 2012-2013 he won't have a ton of value left on the field and the Yankees will make it clear that they won't pick up the option and he bows out gracefully in 2013.

http://sports.excite.com/news/10232010/v5056.html

That article is about all the Yankees tribulations vs. the Rangers and then offseason speculation. For Jeter it says "a higher annual salary" for 4 or 5 years. That's about 4/72 or more.

I think he's lucky to get 4/50, and that's just because he's Mr. Yankee. I always thought he was about average in the field, and really quite a good bat high in the batting order. Seeing him hit against us this year and in the playoffs, he's looks almost done to me. Can barely get the ball out of the infield most of the time.

I don't think there's any chance he gets four years.

One great point I heard not too long ago was that the Yankees have, historically, ALWAYS let players go (or convinced them to retire) a year early. Even guys like Ruth and Mantle.

I'm betting two years with a team option and a blank check.

http://sports.excite.com/news/10232010/v5056.html

That article is about all the Yankees tribulations vs. the Rangers and then offseason speculation. For Jeter it says "a higher annual salary" for 4 or 5 years. That's about 4/72 or more.

I think he's lucky to get 4/50, and that's just because he's Mr. Yankee. I always thought he was about average in the field, and really quite a good bat high in the batting order. Seeing him hit against us this year and in the playoffs, he's looks almost done to me. Can barely get the ball out of the infield most of the time.

Jeter made 22.6m this year. 4/92 would represent a symbolic raise. They would be stupid to do this but stupidity has never stoped them before when it comes to contract offers. 4/50 would be an insult and he will go elsewhere as I'm sure some team will overpay for his marquee value.

I think he gets no less than 15 million a year. Maybe 3 years with an option for a 4th.

Don't forget, he's going to get his 3,000th hit early next year, there's no way in hell the Yankees let him do that in another uniform. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a blank check.

I also don't think he'll be as bad as he was this year. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him take another step down, decrease his SS range and watch his numbers decline from his 2010 totals...that'd be awesome. But the dude has a ton of pride, he'll work incredibly hard in the offseason and figure out a way to bounce back. I don't think a .300 season is out of the question.

But the dude has a ton of pride, he'll work incredibly hard in the offseason and figure out a way to bounce back. I don't think a .300 season is out of the question.

There are a lot of guys in the Hall of Fame that had a ton of pride and worked incredibly hard in the offseason, and they all got old.

Ok, so? I just don't think Jeter is going to fall off a cliff like that.

He is not only older, he is a MI, they tend not to age well. His decline didn't start this season, it started in '08 and he had a bounce back year in '09. I think he will be able to mostly maintain his average and OBP but I expect his power to fall off a cliff, as well as his defense at short.

A lot of times, when players get older, the decline is sudden and dramatic.

Archived