Me and Billy Rowell .......

OFFNY

........ against the world. :D

The much maligned Rowell rebounded from back-to-back bad seasons at Advanced-A Frederick in 2008 and 2009 to have a respectable season in 2010. Billy finished the season batting .275 with 11 HR, 61 RBI, and 25 doubles in 117 games for the Advanced-A Keys. He finished the season very hot, batting .366 in his last 10 games, and batting .301 for the final two months of the season after a mediocre start in April, May, and June.

Soooooooooo ........ a thread for Billy Rowell, who probably has a grand total of 6 people in his fan club. ;) He'll probably start next season at AA-Bowie. You can do it, Billy !!! :)

There's not an Oriole fan anywhere who isn't pulling for Billy to play like first-round pick.

If he's in Bowie next year, he's part of that unfortunate log jam in the upper levels.

Pulling for him, no question. Actually still believing in him ??? I think that category probably consists of myself and about 5 other people ....... including his family and friends. :eek:

Billy Rowell actually had a monster 1st month or so, then slumped, then came back on strong at the end. I remember him hitting above .300 for the first 2 or so months and it being attributed to a shorter swing......

Wait until Crowley gets to work with him...

Billy Rowell actually had a monster 1st month or so, then slumped, then came back on strong at the end.

I remember him hitting above .300 for the first 2 or so months and it being attributed to a shorter swing......

Yes, that's true. I simplified it by combining Billy'sfirst three months and describing them as "mediocre," because he finished hot and consistent over the final two months. Thank you for specifying his season in more detail. :)

We now take a break from the Sci Fi Fantasy channel for a news report from the Reality Network. Did someone say a monster first month? I guess that would be April when Rowell batted .258 and sported an .814 OPS. That's a new definition of monster month.

Hey, Rowell actually did show improvement this year. Good for him. I wish him the best and hope he has a truly "monster season" this year. Just lets not forget that while he improved he still struck out a whopping 156 times in 436 AB's. That's a monster rate of futility. It would still rate as a miracle for Bill Rowell to become even an average ML hitter.

Well, I guess it was his first few weeks? Regardless, he was hitting well at first and then started to slump. And yes, a .814 OPS from Rowell is pretty good production......

Huh? Ortiz had already had a taste of the majors at 21, Bautista was much better at the same age and Werth spent most of his 21 year old season at Bowie.

The point remains these guys careers didn't take off until a much later age.

Werth had to go to 2 different organizations.

Brandon Snyder was miserable until his season with Bowie. He was in the doghouse with Rowell for a bit. Remember?

Your memory is off here. Snyder had to repeat Delmarva in 2007 after struggling and having his season cut short by a shoulder injury in 2006. He got hot in the 2nd half of his 2nd year at Delmarva and finished with a decent line of .283/.354/.422. That winter he went to the Hawaiian Winter League and led the league in batting. The following year he hit .315/.358/.490 at Frederick at age 21.

Rowell was Snyder's teammate at Delmarva in 2006 and hit .273/.335/.426. Considering that he was two years younger than Snyder at the time, I would have said he was well ahead of where Snyder was at that point. But the next year, Snyder hit very well at Frederick while Rowell struggled, and by now Rowell has spend three years at Frederick and still hasn't had a season as good as Snyder's one season at Frederick (including this year when Rowell was 21, the same age as Snyder when he played at Frederick). So, Rowell is still playing catch-up.

Archived