Ridiculous to start the World Series on Oct. 24

Frobby

Over 20-year resident of north-of-Denver chiming in here.

Regardless of what you might see on the news during winter, the weather in the general Denver area is hard to explain unless you live here. Truly of the "wait ten minutes, and the weather will change" variety.

We get well over 300 sunny days per year. That's more than San Diego and Miami do. Yes, it's true. Granted, there might be some snowfall during the morning, but since the sun comes out extremely quickly, there's a good chance that snowfall will melt by the afternoon.

So even though one Mr. Buck incorrectly noted in ALCS Game 7 that Denver "has four inches of snow on the ground," I woke up to flurries, then took a walk in a t-shirt in the afternoon. (I assume they cleared the snow from the field and seats at Invesco Field for the Broncos game - which is why there were piles along the sides of said field.)

Last night, Tim McCarver noted that the 55-degree, rainy weather in Boston "must seem like a summer day to the Rockies players." Again, very incorrect. We had 77 degrees yesterday, and people jogged by in shorts and tank tops.

Sure, there's always a chance of snow in October... heck, in September, for that matter! And I can remember my dad clearing snow off our roof in April during a freak snowstorm decades ago. But even then, dad was clearing off that snow in a short-sleeved shirt. We'll get our freak blizzards (like last year), but again, we're not cold and snow-covered 365 days a year like most people think we are. Keep in mind that when you see ski area coverage on the news, that's up in the mountains, of course. We're generally going about our business just fine here "down below."

So no need for a roof on Coors Field, that's for sure. In Denver, as one resident noted on the news over the weekend, "You can go water skiing and then snow skiing all in the same day, without leaving town!" Just wait a while, and the weather will change to your liking.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a good link explaining the climate in Denver. It's unfortunate that most people who haven't been here seem to think of snow and only snow for us. (I currently have a co-worker who is deciding on a few different places to relocate in a couple of years, and he automatically scratched Colorado off his list based upon the snow he has seen during Broncos games in years past. Shame, really.)

http://www.helium.com/tm/210930/people-think-colorado-think

To back up what Ice said I spent perhaps the best two weeks of my life out in Colorado Springs (which I believe is even higher elevation than Denver) last January/February and the weather was wonderful. Saw only one bit of snow, and we went hiking many times. The Springs is one big wellness center, as the climate, sunlight and air quality are so good it is popular place to go if you have any conditions.

I imagine when the snow comes look out, but overall from that brief sample the winter in Colorado was a lot nicer than it was on the East Coast.

Archived