Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

It really is getting harder and harder to defend them.

Our pitching staff is abysmal, we traded away Bob Gibson and we took our number 1 prospects best pitch away from him.

At one point do we start asking outselves some hard questions?

Bob Gibson? When did that happen?

Is the cutter a good enough pitch to do away with other fastballs? or is it something that very few pitchers even throw well, or is it also an arm issue with throwing it? I've heard Duquette say that before I think.

To answer your first question, no I don't think so. At least not for most pitchers. Only if you throw an extraordinary one like Pettite, Lester, or Rivera. But I think most pitchers that can throw a soft contact pitch like a cutter, sinker, or even a knuckleball should as another wrinkle to keep hitters off balance.

As for it causing an arm issue. There isn't sufficient evidence either for or against it. Aside from the aforementioned Mariano Rivera. Most pitchers that throw it also throw a two or four-seamed fastball along with it. Rivera was pretty durable throwing almost 100% cutters.

On MLB Network's Quick Pitch, they mentioned that Nick had a streak of 32 at bats without swinging and missing at a pitch, the longest active streak in the majors until it ended last night. On the one hand that's a pretty impressive feat, and on the other hand, who the heck is keeping track of that?

On MLB Network's Quick Pitch, they mentioned that Nick had a streak of 32 at bats without swinging and missing at a pitch, the longest active streak in the majors until it ended last night. On the one hand that's a pretty impressive feat, and on the other hand, who the heck is keeping track of that?

Those Ellis stats folks, keeping track of everything.

I wonder if they counted how many times Buck left the dugout for the clubhouse, last night. :)