Pressbox: Ryan Mountcastle

weams

I'm just curious why we are drafting guys like Stewart and Mountcastle so damn high.

They're two prospects on the opposite ends of the spectrum. Stewart was supposed to be a safe pick who had a fairly low ceiling and fairly high floor. A guy who was a good bet to see the major leagues at some point. Mountcastle, on the other hand, was drafted for ceiling. His ceiling is fairly high, but his floor is extremely low. He has a stand out tool, but he also has glaring weaknesses to be addressed. Were they the two I would have picked? No. I personally would have gone after Mike Nikorak or Mike Soroka at pick 25 and Cody Ponce at pick 30, but Stewart and Mountcastle weren't reaches where they were taken.

Always had concerns about Stewart, that batting stance and the idea of taking a guy who has a low ceiling was just not that appealing to me even if his floor was supposedly lower. I will also openly admit I was not a fan of the Mountcastle pick either, not so much because I disliked him as a player, more because there were other guys at that spot who appealed to me more. That said, I get that pick, if your scouting report says you think this kid can develop into something special, then you have to trust it, I get it.

Mountcastle has some upside, he is a guy I like and am hoping can develop into a player for us. Rooting for the kid and hope to see him down the road

Always had concerns about Stewart, that batting stance and the idea of taking a guy who has a low ceiling was just not that appealing to me even if his floor was supposedly lower. I will also openly admit I was not a fan of the Mountcastle pick either, not so much because I disliked him as a player, more because there were other guys at that spot who appealed to me more. That said, I get that pick, if your scouting report says you think this kid can develop into something special, then you have to trust it, I get it.

Mountcastle has some upside, he is a guy I like and am hoping can develop into a player for us. Rooting for the kid and hope to see him down the road

I'm fine with a ceiling of MLB regular, as long as the floor doesn't look anything like what we saw from him last summer.

• 3 weeks later...
What should be Mountcastle's position? He has a 60 arm. Maybe RF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would give him a year in Delmarva to show that he can't play the IF. Could be Manny's replacement at 3B or if we resign Manny and move him over to Short. One error every 10 attempts or so is pretty bad. He needs to cut that in half to stay in the infield.

What should be Mountcastle's position? He has a 60 arm. Maybe RF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He does not have a 60 arm. Two separate scouts said he has 30 maybe 40 arm at best. Unless he was hurt when he showed up, his arm strength is a concern and will limit him to LF at best.

He does not have a 60 arm. Two separate scouts said he has 30 maybe 40 arm at best. Unless he was hurt when he showed up, his arm strength is a concern and will limit him to LF at best.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2015?list=bal

This is where I read he had a 60 arm. Is this an unreliable source?

EDIT:

I did see where Baseball America rated his arm similar to what you say.

But here is another pre-draft report that has his arm at 55/60.

https://mlbdraftcountdown.wordpress.com/2015/01/16/report-ryan-mountcastle-3bss-hagerty-hs-fl/

Is it usual to see this much discrepancy?

Archived