Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CF's?

Frobby

I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):  

202 members have voted

1. 1. I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Only thing I don’t get is the more notice part. I mean was Adam surprised they went to him about a deal? He talked with Thorne on the very subject in Minnesota in early July.  

He actually joked on twitter too, that the O's should trade him then resign him....I agree though that is the one piece I wish he didn't say...Of course if that's how he feels.....

I'm going to be surprised if he gets a multi year deal at this point and absolutely blown away if he's playing CF for whatever team he signs with. There's just not a lot left in the Adam Jones well. There's no value in his defense,base running or on base skills. The only place he carries any value is in his pop and now with the  MLB becoming a home run hitter's haven even that might be in question.

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

He actually joked on twitter too, that the O's should trade him then resign him....I agree though that is the one piece I wish he didn't say...Of course if that's how he feels.....

Only a fool would think there was no way there wasn’t a chance he could be traded. I mean this did not come out of nowhere. 

Also last week, separate from this podcast he talked about how it was more important for players like Mullins to get at bats, not where they played. It was his way of saying he did not want to move off CF. I doubt the Orioles appreciated that. 

5 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

I think AJ with support from Buck and his love of veterans has gotten a little delusional.

No competitive team is going to sign him to be anything but a 4th OF'er / outfield depth position. Looks like his hope is that Brady doesn't lose all influence and brings him back on a deal only the O's would offer

Dang AJ if you are confident in your abilities you could have gone to Philly and earned your playing time

Now who thinks Buck will move him to right and limit his playing time to give more time to the youngsters?

I think the DD/Buck/Brady power struggle will be on display front and center on how AJ is handled for the remainder of the season.

Maybe Dan will be extended in the near future and then fire Brady and Buck....voila..no power struggle. 

48 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Only a fool would think there was no way there wasn’t a chance he could be traded. I mean this did not come out of nowhere. 

Also last week, separate from this podcast he talked about how it was more important for players like Mullins to get at bats, not where they played. It was his way of saying he did not want to move off CF. I doubt the Orioles appreciated that. 

I like AJ and appreciate his contributions and so I have given him some leeway here as he has gone on about this for a week or so in several public interviews. Now it is time to move on.  And it does also confirm again that, like most of us, it is all about him, most all the time.  

4 hours ago, Santandah said:

I really hate to say this, but I think that some posters on this site dislike Adam Jones for reasons that have nothing to do with baseball...

They're jealous that he bought Cal's house.

Could care less about Cals house and Im an exmilitary guy that doesn't have a prejudice bone in me.

Your comments are ridiculous and really uncalled for ....As I said by all the comments from the front office AJ didn't need to ge told that he might be dealt to know it was possible. Outside of Washington, Philadelphia was the closet possible place. The Os need to get resources to rebuild and if Adam cared for the franchise that has overpaid him and kept him in center despite poor defensive metrics, he would have agreed to a trade. He'd always had the option of returning. I personally doubt it was in the teams plans and I am pretty positive it isn't now. 

Still a good chance he'd clear waivers as I'm certain nobody wants wiill want to pick up his salary to block a trade for fear of getting stuck with his salary, unless its a team that really wanted him to begin with.

Anyway ....I told care about his tone. I read Rochs article and don't care about the Podcast.

If I'm the front office I'd go with Rickard in CF the rest of the way and rotate Jones with the corner outfielders. 

if your DuQuette why would you try to trade him again?

4 hours ago, VaBird1 said:

If you haven’t listened, his tone is not angry at all.  I don’t get the hate.

Not hating ....It's a business. The Os needed to move Adam and his salary and get something back in return.

Now that he's screwed that up ....Move him to 4th OF and spend 4-5 days per week riding the pine on a rebuilding team.

Give Rickard everyday playing time in CF as a final audition and play Mancini in LF and continue to play Valencia in hopes somebody wants to add him for his bat.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Could care less about Cals house and Im an exmilitary guy that doesn't have a prejudice bone in me.

Your comments are ridiculous and really uncalled for ....As I said by all the comments from the front office AJ didn't need to ge told that he might be dealt to know it was possible. Outside of Washington, Philadelphia was the closet possible place. The Os need to get resources to rebuild and if Adam cared for the franchise that has overpaid him and kept him in center despite poor defensive metrics, he would have agreed to a trade. He'd always had the option of returning. I personally doubt it was in the teams plans and I am pretty positive it isn't now. 

Still a good chance he'd clear waivers as I'm certain nobody wants wiill want to pick up his salary to block a trade for fear of getting stuck with his salary, unless its a team that really wanted him to begin with.

Anyway ....I told care about his tone. I read Rochs article and don't care about the Podcast.

If I'm the front office I'd go with Rickard in CF the rest of the way and rotate Jones with the corner outfielders. 

Not hating ....It's a business. The Os needed to move Adam and his salary and get something back in return.

Now that he's screwed that up ....Move him to 4th OF and spend 4-5 days per week riding the pine on a rebuilding team.

Give Rickard everyday playing time in CF as a final audition and play Mancini in LF and continue to play Valencia in hopes somebody wants to add him for his bat.

Yup, that's excellent for the franchise, let's trade Adam Jones for nothing of substance so we can get a chance to see Joey Rickard start in CF

Joey Rickard is one of the best baseball players in the world, he's in the top 1% of his field. 

Unfortunately, relative to his peers, he sucks at baseball. I can't believe you're advocating moving Jones off of CF for Joey Rickard...Joey Rickard has no future in the MLB.

I'm am constantly amazed Baltimore fans love affair with players like Rickard, he does nothing well except maybe run and at best an average defender, an I'm being pretty damn generous. His hit tool sucks, he doesn't hit for power, he doesn't get on base, he doesn't have an arm.  I guess he's "scrappy" or a "lunch pail" guy or something. 

Adam Jones choosing not to be traded is not stifling this franchise.  

39 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Your comments are ridiculous and really uncalled for ....As I said by all the comments from the front office AJ didn't need to ge told that he might be dealt to know it was possible. Outside of Washington, Philadelphia was the closet possible place. The Os need to get sources to rebuild and if Adam cared for the franchise that has overpaid him and kept him in center despite poor defensive metrics, he would have agreed to a trade. He'd always had the option of returning. I personally doubt it was in the teams plans and I am pretty positive it isn't now. 

Still a good chance he'd clear waivers as I'm certain nobody wants nobody will want to pick up his salary unless its a team that really wanted him to begin with.

1) I did not say anyone was prejudiced. I made a snippy comment that requires reading with a little nuance. It was a riff off of the refrain that often surfaces here on the Orioles Hangout that anyone who dislikes Adam Jones does so because he is black. (Though I have no doubt there are some people who do, that is not what I was saying. Hence the punchline about being jealous because Jones bought Cal's house. I suppose I should have used a smiley face emoji.)

2) To say that Adam Jones has been overpaid is a borderline incendiary comment. He signed a 6 year $85.5 million contract in 2012. Even then it was considered a very team-friendly deal. Over the course of that contract he has been the on the field, in the clubhouse, and in the community leader of an orioles team that repeatedly had winning seasons and gone to the playoffs. And if you're a stats guy, strictly by WAR he was underpaid. Over the course of that six-year extension, he has been worth 17.4 WAR so far. Using the more conservative value of 1 WAR being worth $7 million, he has been worth $121.8 million. If you want to be even more conservative and make 1 WAR equal $5 million, then he's been worth $87 million, or basically exactly the value of his contract. But even if you want to throw out WAR and stats completely, the guy has been an absolute gem for this organization both on the field and in terms of public relations locally, nationally and even internationally if you take into account the World Baseball Classic. 

3) Your theory is based on the idea that he could have brought back a prospect or two. But even this is dubious. If you listen to his words, the Phillies wanted him to be a platoon fourth outfielder. Players like that do not bring back valued prospects. It would have been essentially a salary dump on the O's part. (And frankly, given what he has meant to Baltimore, getting rid of him as a salary dump is offensive.) Even still,  his contract is up at the end of the year and he is off the books, so not being able to dump his salary should have very little effect on the Orioles' financial capacity. If getting rid of around $5 million is going to make or break this franchise, it's in far greater trouble than any middling prospect can solve. 

4) Now, is he underperforming his contract this year? Sure. He's not a center fielder anymore. And this year, according to WAR, he is being over paid. But that is one year out of eight, and it's just what happens with baseball contracts. We have no idea whether he was asked to move to a corner spot. Something tells me that he wasn't in any firm way, as the Orioles do not have anyone on their roster worthy of being a starting center fielder right now -- and no, Joey Rickard is not a starting center fielder, nor are any of the current OF prospects in the system. Not yet, at least. Beyond that, if you listen to what he's said, he said out right he would move to a corner spot if a prospect came up, though he would prefer to do it in September.

5) There are lots of baseball players who don't earn their contracts and who do deserve the ire of their fanbase. Adam Jones is not one of them.  

31 minutes ago, awannabegeek said:

Yup, that's excellent for the franchise, let's trade Adam Jones for nothing of substance so we can get a chance to see Joey Rickard start in CF

Joey Rickard is one of the best baseball players in the world, he's in the top 1% of his field. 

Unfortunately, relative to his peers, he sucks at baseball. I can't believe you're advocating moving Jones off of CF for Joey Rickard...Joey Rickard has no future in the MLB.

I'm am constantly amazed Baltimore fans love affair with players like Rickard, he does nothing well except maybe run and at best an average defender, an I'm being pretty damn generous. His hit tool sucks, he doesn't hit for power, he doesn't get on base, he doesn't have an arm.  I guess he's "scrappy" or a "lunch pail" guy or something. 

Mancini is the worst regular outfielder I have seen in my 46 years being a fan.   There is no reason for him to be in the outfield.   I think Mullins and Stewart should be ready.   Play Mullins in center,  Jones in Right and Stewart in left. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

The O's should bring up Mullins and see if he can play major league CF, because Jones sure can't anymore.  Jones can play RF or sit the bench if he wants to sulk.   I just view Jones as a selfish player (at least this year) and his lack of leadership (from our supposed locker room leader) has probably fractured the O's locker room and helped build the losing atmosphere.  I want no part of Jones on the 2019 O's. 

35 minutes ago, atomic said:

Mancini is the worst regular outfielder I have seen in my 46 years being a fan.   There is no reason for him to be in the outfield.   I think Mullins and Stewart should be ready.   Play Mullins in center,  Jones in Right and Stewart in left. 

You must have blocked out the memory of Delmon Young playing outfield. 

1 hour ago, awannabegeek said:

Preach.

1 hour ago, Santandah said:

1) I did not say anyone was prejudiced. I made a snippy comment that requires reading with a little nuance. It was a riff off of the refrain that often surfaces here on the Orioles Hangout that anyone who dislikes Adam Jones does so because he is black. (Though I have no doubt there are some people who do, that is not what I was saying. Hence the punchline about being jealous because Jones bought Cal's house. I suppose I should have used a smiley face emoji.)

2) To say that Adam Jones has been overpaid is a borderline incendiary comment. He signed a 6 year $85.5 million contract in 2012. Even then it was considered a very team-friendly deal. Over the course of that contract he has been the on the field, in the clubhouse, and in the community leader of an orioles team that repeatedly had winning seasons and gone to the playoffs. And if you're a stats guy, strictly by WAR he was underpaid. Over the course of that six-year extension, he has been worth 17.4 WAR so far. Using the more conservative value of 1 WAR being worth $7 million, he has been worth $121.8 million. If you want to be even more conservative and make 1 WAR equal $5 million, then he's been worth $87 million, or basically exactly the value of his contract. But even if you want to throw out WAR and stats completely, the guy has been an absolute gem for this organization both on the field and in terms of public relations locally, nationally and even internationally if you take into account the World Baseball Classic. 

3) Your theory is based on the idea that he could have brought back a prospect or two. But even this is dubious. If you listen to his words, the Phillies wanted him to be a platoon fourth outfielder. Players like that do not bring back valued prospects. It would have been essentially a salary dump on the O's part. (And frankly, given what he has meant to Baltimore, getting rid of him as a salary dump is offensive.) Even still,  his contract is up at the end of the year and he is off the books, so not being able to dump his salary should have very little effect on the Orioles' financial capacity. If getting rid of around $5 million is going to make or break this franchise, it's in far greater trouble than any middling prospect can solve. 

4) Now, is he underperforming his contract this year? Sure. He's not a center fielder anymore. And this year, according to WAR, he is being over paid. But that is one year out of eight, and it's just what happens with baseball contracts. We have no idea whether he was asked to move to a corner spot. Something tells me that he wasn't in any firm way, as the Orioles do not have anyone on their roster worthy of being a starting center fielder right now -- and no, Joey Rickard is not a starting center fielder, nor are any of the current OF prospects in the system. Not yet, at least. Beyond that, if you listen to what he's said, he said out right he would move to a corner spot if a prospect came up, though he would prefer to do it in September.

5) There are lots of baseball players who don't earn their contracts and who do deserve the ire of their fanbase. Adam Jones is not one of them.  

Well said.

Archived