Teixeira: Bury Me in Pinstripes

OFFNY

Let me know when the funeral is. I wouldn't want to miss it.
I vote to bury him in pinstripes...
Oh how priceless it would be if the Yankees didn't want Tex anymore and there was a soap opera involving Tex and his no-trade.
I'd rather the Orioles do the burying... in the standings.

I'm good with both burials... :vader:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of how any of us feel about Teixeira ................. if nothing else, the ESPN article in this thread should be referenced whenever somebody wants to split hairs about whether or not Teixeira was a Yankee fan growing up in Maryland, or if he only rooted for Don Mattingly but not the Yankee team (and if you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I will sell for a VERY CHEAP price) ............ the man has definitively and undoubtedly shown his true colors ......... and they are not orange and black.

I understand how your favorite player could be on a team other than your home team, but I am not sure that my favorite player being on another team means I root for them above all else. I loved Cal Ripken, but enjoyed watching Ken Griffey Jr. play more than any other player. If I rooted for the Mariners, I would still want the Orioles to beat them. Tex has no business growing up in Baltimore and loving the Yankees, but it is his call. He wants to finish his career in New York and I want him to do the same.

I understand how your favorite player could be on a team other than your home team, but I am not sure that my favorite player being on another team means I root for them above all else. I loved Cal Ripken, but enjoyed watching Ken Griffey Jr. play more than any other player. If I rooted for the Mariners, I would still want the Orioles to beat them. Tex has no business growing up in Baltimore and loving the Yankees, but it is his call. He wants to finish his career in New York and I want him to do the same.
"I've been very blessed to play on a world championship team," said Teixeira, in Baltimore this week with the defending World Series champion New York Yankees, "blessed to have All-Star games and Gold Gloves. But what started my entire career was Baltimore baseball, Maryland baseball."
"I grew up watching Eddie and Cal," said Teixeira, who slammed his ninth home run of this year June 8 as the Yankees beat the Orioles, 12-7. "In fact, Eddie Murray is the reason I became a switch hitter. I can remember sitting in the stands at Memorial Stadium with my father, and it's a close game late. And we're wondering how Eddie was going to win it tonight -- as a lefty or righty."
"I'm jealous of you guys," said Teixeira, who was the collegiate player of the year at Georgia Tech before getting drafted in 2001. "Because in the fall, you get to go to college. It will be the best four years of your life. Do not miss the opportunity to get an education. If you get the opportunity to play baseball that's great, but remember it all started here in Maryland."

http://www.pressboxonline.com/story.cfm?id=6309

Those are very poignant quotes. The only problem is, it's easy to give flattering quotes to the players and fans of your opponents right after you've had a good game and your team has just defeated the Orioles, and you want to make nice with everybody .......... or to a bunch of high school seniors when you yourself have already made well over $ 50 Million playing profesionally. But when push came to shove and Teixeira felt the slightest bit threatened about his own place in Yankeeland, he came out (practically foaming at the mouth) screaming, "I have a no-trade clause !!! They are going to have to BURY ME IN PINSTRIPES !!! I'm not going anywhere !!!"

I read the article again, and nowhere did I see Teixeira mentioning the greatness of Maryland baseball, or of his yearning to be back at Georgia Tech again. If you want to know a person's true colors, see what they say when push comes to shove, not when they can conveniently throw around some amiable public relations quotes.

Maybe some oriole birds can do a flyby and deficate on his coffin before he's lowered into the ground in his pinstripes.

What a donkey this guy is.

Also, lets see how the Yanks fans treat a guy getting paid $20+ million a year, batting under .260, and now telling the fans I don't care if Albert is available, I will refuse a trade if it comes to that. Yeah, good luck Tex. Couldn't have happened to a better man! :thumbsup1:

There's only two things that I can think of at the time that would make me go into a rampage.

1: If the Orioles become contenders and someone calls me a bandwagon fan. I've already told my better half where she can find my bail money in a lockbox just in case this happens.

I've seen guys like Steve Kline become practice tees for the opposing team. I've seen us trot out Freddie Bynum AND Brandon Fahey in the same game. I've seen Garrett Atkins and Luis Hernandez, I've seen the fun game of "let's drink a beer for every run the Orioles are down" turn into a blackout nightmare when we lost 30-3 to Texas. I've still been a true fan.

2: If Mark Teixeira ever become an Oriole.

Whatever happened to Benedict Arnold? He was a great general, but his name is synonymous with the term "traitor", and for good reason. "But they didn't pay me enough" was his plea for forgiveness as well. Thank God I don't speak the Queen's English, and thankfully I don't think Teixeira will ever play a game for the Orioles. If he does, you'll see me booing him every single time I see him suit up for the Orioles. What a lowlife this guy is. His story changes more than a dress around Bill Clinton. Were you an Orioles fan, or did you concoct this whole story? Donnie Baseball was overrated as well, Murray was his superior.

Maybe some oriole birds can do a flyby and deficate on his coffin before he's lowered into the ground in his pinstripes.

What a donkey this guy is.

Also, lets see how the Yanks fans treat a guy getting paid $20+ million a year, batting under .260, and now telling the fans I don't care if Albert is available, I will refuse a trade if it comes to that. Yeah, good luck Tex. Couldn't have happened to a better man! :thumbsup1:

Just a quick congratulations - the use of the word "flyby" really made this post a classic.

I'm going to be honest -- people here have always been way too obsessed with Mark Teixieira. He wants to remain a Yankee forever? Fine, good for him. He didn't owe Baltimore anything, and if New York is where he wants to be, that's his choice. The guy never held a special place in my heart back when everyone was coveting him, and he doesn't deserve any special enmity now.

Archived