Pie > Jones ?

Cider Jim

I think I would rather have Carlos, anyways.

portrait_hr.jpg

Yeah! Carlos 6 days a week and twice on Sunday!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nXkGVAwWIrk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was tearing it up until he tore a muscle in his back off the bone... That would probably slow you down too

Pie strained his latissimus dorsi, a little bit different than tearing the muscle off the bone. A muscle tear, from the back and not the humerus, would have been much more catastrophic.

He was tearing it up until he tore a muscle in his back off the bone... That would probably slow you down too

El Gordo speaks of SSS and you mention a span of 22 plate appearances. Yes those eight hits in 22 PA sure were impressive.

You did see that he had a 500 BABIP during that span correct? He was also packing a 2.5/1 K/BB ratio over that time period.

Pie strained his latissimus dorsi, a little bit different than tearing the muscle off the bone. A muscle tear, from the back and not the humerus, would have been much more catastrophic.
He strained the muscle lifting too much weight. Then later, on a violent swing he tore it away from the the bone. I remember this being discusses at length by Thorne and Palmer at the time. Why do you think he missed so much time? He was out from mid April to late July.

Personally, I don't think Pie's in competition with anyone really. First off, the only think Pie has ever proved in the major leagues is that he can't hold up for a whole season, so you can't pencil him as a starter anywhere so he's no threat to Jones at all. As for him vs Reimold, the fact that Pie is the only other option in CF means he holds a serious edge over Reimold despite the fact that Reimold brings more potential for offense.

At the end of the day, Pie is in his perfect role as a 4th outfielder. He'll be productive enough and brings enough defensviely to be a solid contributor in that role without being over exposed as an everyday guy.

He still has some of the five tool magic. If he has a great spring, there will be a suitor. Of course, you are not getting Johan Santana for him.

Really:

Hits for avg : Never has at ML level

Hits for power : Never has at any level

Baserunning : Although allegedly fast has never stole bases at any level and has made numerous mental gaffe's

Defense : Good but not a Gold Glove threat

Throwing : Can't figure him out. I have seen him make strong throws and I also have seen him multiple bounce balls to second from short LF.

I'd say he is somewhere from a zero tool to max 3 tool player. And after 9 professional seasons I don't see him making any drastic improvemens.

You never understood the fascination about a 23 year old guy (when we got him) with immense talent and potential, who tore thru the minor leagues, but never got the playing time at the major league level consistently enough to show it???

Really??

Or maybe you just like to NOT hop on the bandwagon, so YOU can be the one to say, "See I told you he would be nothing," if he doesn't succeed.

Bottom line, if Felix Pie can stay healthy, he can be a dominant force. His issue the past 2 years have been injury.

Really???

He spent parts of 8 seasons in the minors:

He posted a descent .299/.356/.469

He showed very little power 62 HRs in 2500+ AB's

He showed very little base stealing capability only 119 SB's and 72 CS's in 643 games.

He is at very best a 4th OF'er, if he were to play at the ML level it would have to be as a CF'er as his offense does not merit a corner OF position.

If Pie is healthy, he's a starting LF/CF for quite a few teams.

You guys need to do research rather than just looking at the first few seasons in the majors for Felix Pie. The Cubs threw him around from the majors and the minors. He was rushed and never received consistent playing time.

Guys like Adam Jones were given a spot on a platter. Felix Pie? Not so much.

Felix Pie is a plus defender with plus speed (and admittedly less than stellar base stealing instincts) and average power.

He's a guy that can give you a .750-.775 OPS with plus defense. What's not to love about that?

I've always looked at Pie as a possible Carl Crawford Lite. That is:

1. Not much base stealing ability

2. Plus defense

3. Average bat with some pop (doubles, occasional home run, triples..)

Felix Pie is the kind of guy who can hit 15 home runs. Get you about 25 doubles and something like 8-10 triples a year. IF he's healthy. That's the key with Felix.

Really:

Hits for avg : Never has at ML level

Baserunning : Although allegedly fast has never stole bases at any level and has made numerous mental gaffe's

Defense : Good but not a Gold Glove threat

Throwing : Can't figure him out. I have seen him make strong throws and I also have seen him multiple bounce balls to second from short LF.

I'd say he is somewhere from a zero tool to max 3 tool player. And after 9 professional seasons I don't see him making any drastic improvemens.

Very ignorant post.

2005 AA: 304/349/554. 903 OPS.

2007 AAA: 362/410/463. .937 OPS

As for his speed, he is NOT a stolen base threat. He IS an extremely gifted speedster. He has triple/double speed EASY. Hell, in 288 at bats last year, he had *5* triples. *15* doubles. That's impressive.

His defense is above average. He's already a better CF than Adam Jones (not saying much), and he's our best LF option.

He has a cannon for an arm. That goes without saying. In 2009 he had 5 outfield assists in 83 games. In 2010 he had 9 outfield assists in 77 games. For reference, Nick Markakis:

2009: 13 in 161 games

2010: 7 in 159 games

You do the math.

Well, I'm keeping the faith. I'm one of his biggest fans and I'm not ready to give up on him at this point.

I don't expect him to be our starting LF'er, because of our situation with Luke. But I do expect him to be a darn good bench backup for our outfield.

The only issue I have with this is that I don't think it would be doing him any justice. He needs a chance to play every day and a chance to prove he can stay healthy. I really really like Felix but I just don't think that chance is in Baltimore.

The only issue I have with this is that I don't think it would be doing him any justice. He needs a chance to play every day and a chance to prove he can stay healthy. I really really like Felix but I just don't think that chance is in Baltimore.
Maybe not this year, but he still stands to get a lot of AB this season. They will have to rest Vlad a lot to keep him healthy and Luke will DH. The same for Lee, and Luke most likely will play 1B. Better Pie in LF than Fox at 1B, IMO. Also Jones will be rested, and he may have a slump. Plus Felix will be in for Luke late in games for D, as well as PH/PR. Next season who is the LF? If I were Felix I would work on my base stealing skils ands my bunting. With improvements in these areas he could be a lot more valuable.

Maybe not this year, but he still stands to get a lot of AB this season. They will have to rest Vlad a lot to keep him healthy and Luke will DH. The same for Lee, and Luke most likely will play 1B. Better Pie in LF than Fox at 1B, IMO. Also Jones will be rested, and he may have a slump. Plus Felix will be in for Luke late in games for D, as well as PH/PR. Next season who is the LF? If I were Felix I would work on my base stealing skils ands my bunting. With improvements in these areas he could be a lot more valuable.

He is in his 9th professional season. What has he been working on for 9 years. You really expect him to learn how to steal bases now???

Archived