Pie > Jones ?

Cider Jim

There simply isn't a sufficient sample size for this argument to be anything more than subjective opinion. When I watch Pie I see a guy with great potential. He has a short quick swing, good pitch recognition, tremendous speed, and a lot of power for his size. As a hitter he needs to apply the patience he demonstrates in game situations to all his AB, and he needs to bunt more. As an OF he has an excellent arm (6RS in less than 1/2 a season in '10) and again his speed gives him great range. As a base runner he was second on the team behind Patterson in eQBRR, inspite of his poor SB/CS%. If he could develop his ability to read pitchers his SB would climb. I think he is far from a finished product and I would hate to see him develop these skills on another team. Since much of the opinions expressed here are subjective in this instance, I think the difference in personality appeal between Jones and Pie factors in a lot.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seeing as how you're such a big fan of Pie's, one would imagine you'd be more understanding of how injuries can affect one's play. Reimold at 100% isn't "beyond terrible"... it's more likely "approaching terrible."

Pie is obviously the superior defensive player, that's not really debatable. But Reimold isn't Pat Burrell. He's at least reasonably athletic.

Reimold over a full-season, if he can complete one, would be much more valuable than Pie, who also has a history of injuries.

Give Reimold 400 at-bats and give Pie 400 at-bats and you'll see how much better of a hitter Reimold is. Pie still struggles against LH's and is far less capable of hitting good off-speed pitchers than Reimold.

Well, I think its pretty obvious that he is a better CFer than LFer right now.

However, his offensive numbers also look a lot better as a CFer vs a LFer...So, that would make his WAR better.

The positional adjustment would have been around 4 runs for Pie based on his limited playing time last season, so, adjusting for a full season he would go from a 1.0 WAR player to a 1.8-1.9 WAR player. We're also assuming zero dropoff in defense, which might be a stretch.

He still needs an offensive renaissance in order to be a league average player. Either that, or he would need to be Franklin Gutierrez with the glove (which he is assuredly not.)

My original point was he could start LF/CF for quite a few teams. You contested it.

FWIW, I'd rather have Scott, Jones, and Markakis out in the OF as it gives us the best chance to win.

I don't ever want to see Reimold in LF ever again. He makes Pat Burrell look like Carl Crawford. He's beyond terrible.

And your original point was wrong unless you have different definition to "quite a few teams" then I do. Four or five teams out of 30 is not quite a few.

Seeing as how you're such a big fan of Pie's, one would imagine you'd be more understanding of how injuries can affect one's play. Reimold at 100% isn't "beyond terrible"... it's more likely "approaching terrible."

Pie is obviously the superior defensive player, that's not really debatable. But Reimold isn't Pat Burrell. He's at least reasonably athletic.

Yep..One of the more annoying things is the overrating of Reimold's "poor" defense.

When healthy, he is ok...Never going to be great but some of the terms being thrown around would describe a guy like Bonilla or Berroa out in the OF...Reimold isn't that bad.

Teams Pie could/should start for in CF:

White Sox: Rios can move to one of the corners and Pie goes to CF..Quentin to DH. Now, that doesn't work for them because of Dunn but Pie in CF and Rios in LF is clearly a better option that Rios in CF and Quentin in LF.

Royals: Cain and Pie are similar...I guess you stick with Cain right now but I think that's a relative toss up.

Texas: I would rather have Pie than Borbon

Braves: McLouth? Tough to say..He was good but was awful last year. atlanta has him signed, so we will see...But I am not sure you can say that Pie isn't an upgrade over him right now...But this year will tell a lot.

Cubs: Give me Pie over Byrd. Byrd has been productive but I would personally prefer to give the at bats to Pie..but I can see the argument for Byrd.

Marlins: Can Coughlan handle CF? This one is TBD.

Brewers: Carlos Gomez? Ehh...haven't really seen him. They are probably similar but I think Pie has more power upside.

Mets: Beltran or Pie? I bet if you offered Pie for beltran right now, NY makes the deal. It is a no brainer to say Beltran right now but is he healthy?

SD: Maybin is a good guy to take a shot on...Will he be better than Pie? That's up in the air at this point.

DC: Nyjer morgan? Give me Pie.

Good lord no. 1000 times no.

I disagree with most of your comparisons, but on the Byrd one I have no doubt.

Byrd is really really underrated. He's consistently productive both offensively and defensively, and a bargain for his contract. Cub fans were pretty meh when he was signed, but he's quickly gained support. He's like Mark DeRosa of a few years ago -- you don't really think much of him or appreciate him until he's on your team.

Meanwhile Pie is still all promise and potential, only now his serious flaws have been exposed in the bigleagues. Things like baseball instincts, pitch recognition, and strikezone awareness just aren't there. He's another in a long line of phenomenal athletes that haven't been fully able to translate their talent to major-league baseball.

Good lord no. 1000 times no.

I disagree with most of your comparisons, but on the Byrd one I have no doubt.

Byrd is really really underrated. He's consistently productive both offensively and defensively, and a bargain for his contract. Cub fans were pretty meh when he was signed, but he's quickly gained support. He's like Mark DeRosa of a few years ago -- you don't really think much of him or appreciate him until he's on your team.

Meanwhile Pie is still all promise and potential, only now his serious flaws have been exposed in the bigleagues. Things like baseball instincts, pitch recognition, and strikezone awareness just aren't there. He's another in a long line of phenomenal athletes that haven't been fully able to translate their talent to major-league baseball.

I saw a lot of Byrd when he was on the Nats, and he really struggled there. He's kind of surprised me with how well he has done since leaving Washington.

I think you are selling Pie a little short. You seem to have pigeonholed the guy a bit too much. He'll be 26 this season, and after 876 PA in the majors he has a .699 OPS. Marlon Byrd, through age 28, had a .701 OPS in 1454 PA. Byrd got better with more experience and regular playing time once he got to Texas, but for some reason, you don't seem willing to accept that the same could happen to Pie if given the opportunity.

I'd say Byrd is a more proven commodity than Pie at this point, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Pie has the better career when all is said and done.

I saw a lot of Byrd when he was on the Nats, and he really struggled there. He's kind of surprised me with how well he has done since leaving Washington.

I think you are selling Pie a little short. You seem to have pigeonholed the guy a bit too much. He'll be 26 this season, and after 876 PA in the majors he has a .699 OPS. Marlon Byrd, through age 28, had a .701 OPS in 1454 PA. Byrd got better with more experience and regular playing time once he got to Texas, but for some reason, you don't seem willing to accept that the same could happen to Pie if given the opportunity.

I'd say Byrd is a more proven commodity than Pie at this point, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Pie has the better career when all is said and done.

Right.

Now, maybe if you want to consider the Cubs some kind of a contender(which may be a stretch), then Byrd is the better way to go because he is likely the more productive player right now.

But I also am not sure the Cubs are a legit contender and Byrd really doesn't do anything for you long term, which is why I would go with Pie over him.

I will readily concede that I saw very little of the early part of Byrd's career, but I know I've seen enough of Pie to be very skeptical.

You have said that we shouldn't have signed VLad so a guy like Pie could get at bats...same thing applies here. The Cubs have a better playoff shot than the O's but the chances aren't that good.

I personally would like us to just let the season play out and see if Reimold can get it together in Spring Training and Norfolk and if Pie can be a decent 4th outfielder for us.

If these guys look decent then I predict a trade deadline move of Luke Scott.

I still think either Pie or Reimold is being groomed for a 2-5 year run as our starting LF.

Archived