Sign Guthrie

JERSEYORIOLE

I understand that there is alot of talk about dealing Guts near the deadline because he will have value and can return some pieces. I for one am against it. Guthrie has been thrust into a No 1 role the last couple of years and we all know he is not a number one. However, he is a sold 3 or 4, something that has not been easy to find for the Orioles in the past. I do not think we can return what he gives us, as I think his value to the Orioles is greater then what he can return. He has played on very bad teams. He never complains. He is a great citizen. He wants to be here. He fired Scott Boras. By all accounts he is a good teammate. These are the things I want in an Oriole. He should be rewarded. I would sign him right now.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Guthrie, I really do. But I'd probably test the trade market this July. We might be able to get a lot for him if he continues pitching well. He's a legit 2/3 and those guys don't go cheaply. Just don't trade him to a team in our division, if he's traded.

Now, if the market isn't that strong, I'd hold on to him.

I love Guthrie, I really do. But I'd probably test the trade market this July. We might be able to get a lot for him if he continues pitching well. He's a legit 2/3 and those guys don't go cheaply. Just don't trade him to a team in our division, if he's traded.

Now, if the market isn't that strong, I'd hold on to him.

Why not?

If the Yankees offer us the best deal, you trade him for a lesser package?

Bedard was a different animal. Not the nicest guy and would have demanded big money, totally different situation.

He was also a better pitcher.

Who cares who is nicer...We are building an organization here, not a boy scout troop.

Guthrie is going to want to get paid too.

Well that's like asking how much damage the bullet caused when it was shot into the corpse.

The situations are pretty different, especially if the trade turns out poorly.

No they aren't...We are still miles away from contention and need an infusion of young talent.

If anything, we are in better shape now than before because of the emergence of some of our young pitching.

He was also a better pitcher.

Who cares who is nicer...We are building an organization here, not a boy scout troop.

Guthrie is going to want to get paid too.

Really? Thanks for that information, hey Milton Bradley is available.

You miss the point. Guthrie is everything I want in an Oriole. If we get blown away by an offer, then take it. But that goes for almost anyone on this team. In my Opinion we will not get for him what he brings to this team.

Archived