Day 2 draft thread

Yea, on paper, before these guys do a thing, its a poor draft IMO.

I really like the Bundy pick and Delmonico is a solid pick as well. Don't really like anything else all that much. The last couple of pitchers may be ok as relievers.

But, as I said to Tony, you can get the relievers a little later...Get the better talent early and the Orioles seemed to have failed at that.

I think they are adding QUALITY to the BP sooner than later with all these college picks, and it's a good approach. Stop spending $10m a year for BP retreads and grow your own cheap. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more high ceiling stuff mixed in a little, but there are a couple expensive signings so I don't really mind stocking for the BP after those.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea, on paper, before these guys do a thing, its a poor draft IMO.

I really like the Bundy pick and Delmonico is a solid pick as well. Don't really like anything else all that much. The last couple of pitchers may be ok as relievers.

But, as I said to Tony, you can get the relievers a little later...Get the better talent early and the Orioles seemed to have failed at that.

I have a little different take.

For example, Espinosa's not necessarily a bad player. He'll upgrade our system and may advance quickly. It's just the fact that we took him over a guy like Norris that's upsetting.

A lot of these relievers might be good contributors one day, but drafting guys who have already seen their upsided downgraded from starter to reliever is scary to me. I'll hold out hope for the 3rd rounder for sure, because that was a Jordan pick and I trust him more than online articles. The upside just doesn't look great, but it does look solid, as in, we're getting solid college contributors. I wonder what that means in 2-3 years?

I think they are adding QUALITY to the BP sooner than later with all these college picks, and it's a good approach. Stop spending $10m a year for BP retreads and grow your own cheap. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more high ceiling stuff mixed in a little, but there are a couple expensive signings so I don't really mind stocking for the BP after those.

I love the idea of adding BP arms. I much prefer that than the crap athlete firstr, no talent players like they usually draft.

Give me guys that will contribute.

But the first few picks after Bundy should have been higher upside guys.

I love the idea of adding BP arms. I much prefer that than the crap athlete firstr, no talent players like they usually draft.

Give me guys that will contribute.

But the first few picks after Bundy should have been higher upside guys.

I was thinking that at first too, but if Bundy costs somewhere around $8m and they are serious at making a run on Delmonico, you are looking close to $10m already, which is generally close to our entire budget. It all comes back to what Bundy gets, but I'm guessing they are planning on paying him what it takes.

The more I thought about it, I really liked the idea of stockpiling college arms in a year when it's really deep for college pitching. We could end up with 5-6 solid ML RP in the first 12 rounds, which would save us anywhere from $10-15m spending on FA.

I was thinking that at first too, but if Bundy costs somewhere around $8m and they are serious at making a run on Delmonico, you are looking close to $10m already, which is generally close to our entire budget. It all comes back to what Bundy gets, but I'm guessing they are planning on paying him what it takes.

The more I thought about it, I really liked the idea of stockpiling college arms in a year when it's really deep for college pitching. We could end up with 5-6 solid ML RP in the first 12 rounds, which would save us anywhere from $10-15m spending on FA.

Or, we could draft better talent, spend more money now, get the relievers later in the draft AND not piss away the money on the relief pitching. :D

Or, we could draft better talent, spend more money now, get the relievers later in the draft AND not piss away the money on the relief pitching. :D

Yeah but the RP we took when we did have a very good chance of being legit RP, the ones you'd get later don't have much of a chance of ever making it there. I mean we have guys we've taken in the top 5 rounds that can't make it to the majors as a RP yet (yeah I'm looking at you Bascom).

Norris was going to be a lot of money, he wanted $3.9m, Bell isn't going to sign with PIT. I really wanted Oropesa, but I'm no where near as upset as I was last year when we skipped over AJ Cole.

Archived