Day 2 draft thread

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to do some speculating here.

It seems to me that we're going very, very heavy pitcher/reliever, and part of the reason for that is maybe due to the fact that we've spent so much money on our bullpen in recent years and it has still struggled. Maybe the front office decided to draft heavy pitching so we'll have a steady pipeline of relievers, which will free up money to pursue offense through free agency.

I have no idea if this is their thinking, but I've argued for a similar approach in the past since free agent pitchers will only come to Camden Yards if we're greatly overpaying them. It's just a bad career move for them.

It seems to me that we're going very, very heavy pitcher/reliever, and part of the reason for that is maybe due to the fact that we've spent so much money on our bullpen in recent years and it has still struggled. Maybe the front office decided to draft heavy pitching so we'll have a steady pipeline of relievers, which will free up money to pursue offense through free agency.

I have no idea if this is their thinking, but I've argued for a similar approach in the past since free agent pitchers will only come to Camden Yards if we're greatly overpaying them. It's just a bad career move for them.

It makes some sense, if you think there are alot of good relievers out there. I'm a bit perturbed that we're passing up on the bats, other than Delmonico.

We clearly don't have enough upper minors arms to draw from. With this draft, that could change for 2013 for sure. We simply cannot rely on guys like Gonzalez and Gregg moving forward (e.g., old, expensive and erratic). If I'm getting erratic, let them be cheap at least.

Gut reaction based on various poster input through round 10: C+

Gut reaction based on input from SG through round 10: D-

Yea, on paper, before these guys do a thing, its a poor draft IMO.

I really like the Bundy pick and Delmonico is a solid pick as well. Don't really like anything else all that much. The last couple of pitchers may be ok as relievers.

But, as I said to Tony, you can get the relievers a little later...Get the better talent early and the Orioles seemed to have failed at that.

Yea, on paper, before these guys do a thing, its a poor draft IMO.

I really like the Bundy pick and Delmonico is a solid pick as well. Don't really like anything else all that much. The last couple of pitchers may be ok as relievers.

But, as I said to Tony, you can get the relievers a little later...Get the better talent early and the Orioles seemed to have failed at that.

Regardless of what JJ says, money is affecting the selections.

Archived