Day 2 draft thread

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Jordan is an above average scouting director is not an easy question but one thing for sure is that in his previous drafts he has done much better with pitching prospects than with hitting. So I do not really mind a pitching heavy draft if this means more players will reach the majors or can be used as trade bait...

2012 draft eligible player. You'll be able to see him on TV in August in the Under Armour All-America Game.

I was actually thinking about joining you AT the game this year, but I will be in the car on the way home from the Outer Banks at gametime. Maybe another time.

Keith Law's brief analysis of our second day.

Baltimore Orioles: After nabbing Dylan Bundy (Round 1), the Orioles took preseason first-round candidate Jason Esposito (2) of Vanderbilt, a bet that his power and defensive ability at third might overshadow the slider-speed bat. Baltimore's draft was conservative after that, with a number of projected relievers, including Mike Wright (3), sidearmer Kyle Simon (4) and Trent Howard (7). The Orioles took a shot at probably unsignable infielder Nick Delmonico in the sixth, and if they can sign Jason Coats in the 12th, that's good value for a college bat with a great swing but poor plate discipline.

Why oh why are we drafting guys with "poor plate discipline"? THAT is frustrating.

12th round -- Coats is a money get. His playable power may be light for left field, but he can really swing it. I think it was a fantastic risk -- may need to pay him like third round money to get him to pass on going back TCU.

I was actually thinking about joining you AT the game this year, but I will be in the car on the way home from the Outer Banks at gametime. Maybe another time.

I will be there every year; come say "hi" whenever!

Why oh why are we drafting guys with "poor plate discipline"? THAT is frustrating.

Gotta remember the round you are getting him though...If he didn't have flaws, he would go much earlier.

But if there is a foundation of talent there and you can figure out a way to help out his flaws, you may have a steal.

12th round -- Coats is a money get. His playable power may be light for left field, but he can really swing it. I think it was a fantastic risk -- may need to pay him like third round money to get him to pass on going back TCU.
Gotta remember the round you are getting him though...If he didn't have flaws, he would go much earlier.

But if there is a foundation of talent there and you can figure out a way to help out his flaws, you may have a steal.

Yes...I guess both of you make sense, here! I know there are a few guys with power that don't have that plate discipline....Vlad comes to mind...but they are few and far between.

2012 draft eligible player. You'll be able to see him on TV in August in the Under Armour All-America Game.

Whoops. My bad.

Looks like Jacob went to the Cardinals from his facebook. Not sure what round. Hope he does well for them.

Archived