David Ortiz

bnw7870

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess we disagree on the DH. I'm hoping there are several GOOD players on the bench who can rotate around and platoon with, not one great player and less lineup flexibility.

I guess we do. I think if you look back at lists of team's DH performance you'll almost always see the best performaces come from teams with a stable, regular DH and the bottom littered with teams that use it as a place for the bench and the banged up guys to get at bats. I'll sacrifice some flexibility for 100 or 200 points of OPS.

I guess we do. I think if you look back at lists of team's DH performance you'll almost always see the best performaces come from teams with a stable, regular DH and the bottom littered with teams that use it as a place for the bench and the banged up guys to get at bats. I'll sacrifice some flexibility for 100 or 200 points of OPS.
Clearly you aren't in favor of Ortiz, so who would you like to see as the O's DH, Reynolds?

Clearly you aren't in favor of Ortiz, so who would you like to see as the O's DH, Reynolds?

Reynolds could be a good option. Scott might be depending on how much he costs. Reimold could be the DH if they acquire another outfielder. Maybe a platoon could work - not a mishmash of whomever needs at bats or should be on the DL with a bum arm, but a real platoon.

Reynolds could be a good option. Scott might be depending on how much he costs. Reimold could be the DH if they acquire another outfielder. Maybe a platoon could work - not a mishmash of whomever needs at bats or should be on the DL with a bum arm, but a real platoon.
Deciding on a full time DH forces other decisions. If it's Reynolds, who plays 3B assuming Davis goes to 1B. If it's Reimold, who plays LF. Cuddyer? If it's (Scott my choice) then can you live with Reimold in LF and Davis at 3B?

Deciding on a full time DH forces other decisions. If it's Reynolds, who plays 3B assuming Davis goes to 1B. If it's Reimold, who plays LF. Cuddyer? If it's (Scott my choice) then can you live with Reimold in LF and Davis at 3B?

I don't have answers, there are a lot of possiblities. I get the impression that Duquette trades (or used to trade) like his players are 1987 Fleer cards, so the permutations are almost infinite. I'd be surprised if all of DH/1B/3B/LF are filled with current internal choices.

I don't have answers, there are a lot of possiblities. I get the impression that Duquette trades (or used to trade) like his players are 1987 Fleer cards, so the permutations are almost infinite. I'd be surprised if all of DH/1B/3B/LF are filled with current internal choices.
I agree and with so many options in house DH, is the last thing we need to worry about. After we bolster the SP, upgrade the defense at 3B, etc.

I am ...Ortiz is the type of player that becomes the annual Oriole mistake. I'd be ok with bring a DH in ...Just not one on the plus side of 33.

Except nobody under 33 wants to be a DH. Last year 9 DHs qualified for the batting title. Of those, only 2 were younger than 32. It is an old man position and the idea of plugging guys into it in platoon roles has never really been successful in real life. Baseball players are creatures of habit, you can't just look at past success and play a guy only in situations where he has previously succeeded and expect it to continue without playing him in situations where he is less likely to succeed.

Except nobody under 33 wants to be a DH. Last year 9 DHs qualified for the batting title. Of those, only 2 were younger than 32. It is an old man position and the idea of plugging guys into it in platoon roles has never really been successful in real life. Baseball players are creatures of habit, you can't just look at past success and play a guy only in situations where he has previously succeeded and expect it to continue without playing him in situations where he is less likely to succeed.

Just tell them Eddie DH'd 110 games as a 21-year-old rookie. If it's good enough for Eddie, it's good enough for them.

In any case, David Ortiz, Brad Fullmer, Travis Hafner, Billy Butler, Jack Cust, Adam Lind, Mike Sweeney, Greg Vaughn, Frank Thomas, Larry Sheets, Jason Kubel... all those guys spent significant time as DHs before their 30th birthdays. It's not rare.

Talked to Adam Jones, on Thursday he is on his was to the DR to see Papi....

Not only will he be recruiting, but he will participate in a charity golf tournament

LOL...I don't think Adam Jones is going to recommend that ANYONE come to Baltimore. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure he's getting out of town as soon as he possibly can. Unless the magical baseball winning fairy sprinkles magical winning dust from Sarasota to Aberdeen, Delmarva, Frederick, Bowie, Norfolk, and then backs up a dumptruck full of the stuff at Oriole Park...

NO ONE OF ANY SIGNIFICANT VALUE WILL WANT TO COME HERE.

Even guys like David Ortiz (potentially this year's version of Vlad Guerrero) would consider less money in better cities (warmer climate) or on slightly better teams over coming to Baltimore.

Talked to Adam Jones, on Thursday he is on his was to the DR to see Papi....

Not only will he be recruiting, but he will participate in a charity golf tournament

Wow. I don't know if you've been properly vetted or not with respect to the insider information, but that's pretty interesting news if it's true.

Archived