Hats off to Melvin...

Enjoy Terror

While we're in exaggeration mode can we erase Eddie Murray from Orioles history as well?

What does occasionally complaining about getting more playing time have to do with being a good coach? We should be so lucky to have players like him on the current roster!!!

I have coached youth sports and one of the toughest things is cutting playing time or moving someone from a position they should not be, but want to play...etc... But, I never get upset when they complain about not playing enough or wanting to go back in the game, it means I have someone who WANTS to be there and that is so much better than the alternative.

I know this is a rough comparison to a professional MLB player, but these guys put so much into their craft on a daily basis, a dedication to the sport most don't and cannot match, it is understandable when they cannot accept having their time cut. Not to mention that he was complaining about not playing for a constantly losing team.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have coached youth sports and one of the toughest things is cutting playing time or moving someone from a position they should not be, but want to play...etc... But, I never get upset when they complain about not playing enough or wanting to go back in the game, it means I have someone who WANTS to be there and that is so much better than the alternative.

I know this is a rough comparison to a professional MLB player, but these guys put so much into their craft on a daily basis, a dedication to the sport most don't and cannot match, it is understandable when they cannot accept having their time cut. Not to mention that he was complaining about not playing for a constantly losing team.

Good post.

Also, let's not forget that there never really was a better alternative. Who was he blocking, Oscar Salazar?? We're still searching for a solid third baseman. He was also getting paid 7-8 million each of his last three seasons.

Those are two very good reasons he should have been on the field for as much as possible. He had reason to complain!

Guest rochester
Awesome stuff, Frobby.

I think Mora hitting the absolute TOP of the foul pole on a home run was one of the coolest things I've ever witnessed.

His retirement is bittersweet for me, I feel bad for a guy like this who had a great career and spent the prime of it on a waste of a franchise like the Orioles. However, as Frobby mentioned, he played hard, was good to the fans and the charities. He was a class act and my memories of him are fond ones.

His 2004 season was awesome, 27 homers, a .340 batting average and he lead the league with a .419 on base percentage. Hitting in front of Tejada that year allowed Miggy to win the RBI title, he was always on base for him.

A few pics I snapped over the years:

643904191_bbfc0b7aaf.jpg

645574108_d74587c4a7.jpg

1228375970_8787f9b588.jpg

2458560820_ed26867bc7.jpg

2457730829_ebc73544bc.jpg

Moose - I totally forgot how great your photography is...

Can Mora be signed for a day and retire as an O?

While we're in exaggeration mode can we erase Eddie Murray from Orioles history as well?

What does occasionally complaining about getting more playing time have to do with being a good coach? We should be so lucky to have players like him on the current roster!!!

Just an FYI... I'm got this information via a friend of my Dad's... Mora's agent. He had dozens of behind the scene stories about how Mora was a disaster in the clubhouse which I won't get into. But from what I have heard I would NEVER allow him to coach young players. He just doesn't have respect for them.

Awesome stuff, Frobby.

I think Mora hitting the absolute TOP of the foul pole on a home run was one of the coolest things I've ever witnessed.

His retirement is bittersweet for me, I feel bad for a guy like this who had a great career and spent the prime of it on a waste of a franchise like the Orioles. However, as Frobby mentioned, he played hard, was good to the fans and the charities. He was a class act and my memories of him are fond ones.

His 2004 season was awesome, 27 homers, a .340 batting average and he lead the league with a .419 on base percentage. Hitting in front of Tejada that year allowed Miggy to win the RBI title, he was always on base for him.

A few pics I snapped over the years:

643904191_bbfc0b7aaf.jpg

645574108_d74587c4a7.jpg

1228375970_8787f9b588.jpg

2458560820_ed26867bc7.jpg

2457730829_ebc73544bc.jpg

Wonderful wonderful.

Mel vin MoOo Ra

Make it two. Self absorbed, egotistical players rarely make good coaches. I'll never forget he wanted to be notified of when he was going to have a day off. What a head case.

Make it three. Mora was an OK hitter, and played average-at-best defense. He was exactly as advertised when he came to Baltimore ? a player hailed for his versatility because he could line up at several positions. He was tolerable at short and third, but above average at none. Besides, the stories of his whining and complaining were far too numerous to be without some merit.

Absolutely no way he's a team Hall of Famer.

Make it three. Mora was an OK hitter, and played average-at-best defense. He was exactly as advertised when he came to Baltimore ? a player hailed for his versatility because he could line up at several positions. He was tolerable at short and third, but above average at none. Besides, the stories of his whining and complaining were far too numerous to be without some merit.

This might be against board rules, but You Suck!

This might be against board rules, but You Suck!

So... does that mean that three years of great productivity and like 6 years of below average productivity mean that gets you into the O's HOF? For shame! This means that Jim Johnson is well onto his way to O's HOF. WTF?

Just an FYI... I'm got this information via a friend of my Dad's... Mora's agent. He had dozens of behind the scene stories about how Mora was a disaster in the clubhouse which I won't get into. But from what I have heard I would NEVER allow him to coach young players. He just doesn't have respect for them.

So, you're saying that Mora's agent goes around talking junk about him. That sounds like BS.

So... does that mean that three years of great productivity and like 6 years of below average productivity mean that gets you into the O's HOF? For shame! This means that Jim Johnson is well onto his way to O's HOF. WTF?

I think it means hard work and a constant devotion to your craft will get you respect from the fanbase as it seems your opinion is in the minority.

My memory may be foggy, but I am not sure we knew he would be such an asset as a super utility player....regardless, Mora had to be one of the best O's pickups in recent years, along the lines of Guthrie and I could see Guthrie as possible O's HOF candidate...

My memory may be foggy, but I am not sure we knew he would be such an asset as a super utility player....regardless, Mora had to be one of the best O's pickups in recent years, along the lines of Guthrie, and I could see Guthrie as possible O's HOF candidate ...

Orioles Hall-Of-Fame candidate ??? If Guthrie continues to get the run support that he's been getting, I'd put him in simply for not going berserk and blowing up the clubhouse. :laughlol:

Archived